“Christmas Party Disaster - Be Warned!!”

Meifod Country House
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Bontnewydd
Cuisines: Welsh
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We booked about six months in advance for our large christmas party at this venue. What a HUGE mistake. We had an absolutely terrible experience. Tightly packed onto a table that wasn't big enough, having to climb over chairs to get seated.

Food was a shambles, very much like the review below, and we were told to pick the yorkshire puddings up with our hands!!

DJ just played the same five songs on a loup throughout the whole meal so loud you were unable to speak.

Surely dissinterested teenagers who were too inexperienced to give proper table service.

I could go on and on for pages, but NEVER EVER EVER book a wedding or any type of event which requires them to cater for a large group of people. The worst experience I've ever had!

Oh and when our company tried to complain (several emails and a letter until we got a responce) they told us that we were the only group who had a problem! (obviously not from reading the reviews below!) and indirectly denied everything we told them! and they had the audacity to offer us a discount on our next party as a "good will gesture". Why would we throw even more money at this hotel when we already feel cheated??

Be warned - don't risk booking here - go to Seiont Manor up the road!

2  Thank Sophie G

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We had exactly the same experience as the review below. Owners cram people in till you can hardly move from your table. Food was plonked on your plate by teenagers.
Avoid at all cost. Will not be returning.

2  Thank Gwyn0601
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Christmas party: Nice venue -everything else was extremely disappointing! We were a party of 20 packed into a room with around 180 others. Seated on narrow tables, chairs butted together like sardines in a tin. Music blasting so that it was impossible to have a conversation with anyone without shouting. Where do I begin describing to meal?! We were more or less 'frog marched' from the dinning hall through to an area where a parade of teenage school children were 'serving' the so called "carvery" which comprised of already sliced beef, ham & turkey. When I asked for a slice of each meat, I was told that I could only have two slices and, if I was still hungry after eating them, I could go back for the third slice! The plates were cold. The vegetables were tepid and had been over-cooked. Rubbery sliced carrots, pale green-yellow sprouts, bland
cauliflower with topped red cheddar cheese grated which looked plastic! We were only allowed 2 tiny chipolata sausages in bacon, the yorkshire was soggy in the middle and, of course, one gravy fits all, made with what tasted like gravy granules mixed with water.
The sweet was brought to the table by the teenage children. A choice of chocolate mouse, lemon tart, Christmas pudding or fruit salad served with what was described as "chantilly cream", which it was not!

There was a choice of 4 red wines on the wine list, but only 1 available.
The selection of soft drinks was pathetic. No bottled coke, tonic, Appletizer (or similar) & neither sparkling nor still water. Those who were driving or chose not to drink alcohol were limited to tap water or warm bottled orange J2O (jugs of water had to be requested for the tables). All in all a shambles!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

My Husband and I where invited to come for Sunday lunch to Meifod by our son and his partner, we where bit abrehensive thinking that it was goin to be expensive to our suprise it was not, we went for the three cours Sunday lunch, which was very tasteful we did not have to wait long betwene each course, I will definately call again and I will recomend Meifod too our friends

1  Thank Katie J
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I loved the location, the gardens, dining room and staff where lovely. food good and value for money.