“sunday lunch”

Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
“sunday lunch”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

just come back from having our 20th anniversary sunday lunch at the meifod hotel. what a hidden gem, right on our door step.i dont normally bother to do reviews but this place is so nice i feel i have to.it was nice to see lamb on the carvery about 1" thick and very tender, rich dark gravy puffed up yorkshire pudding and really nice veg and couliflower cheese. jobs a goodun, all this in a massive purpose built conservatory. we then walked around the very nice gardens they have there.Back in for home made bread and butter pud and ice cream. lovely staff and surroundings
cant wait to go again when the suns shining

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank broncola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 13 May 2012

When other local eateries go somewhere for Sunday lunch, you know you are on to a good thing. The food here is 'top notch'. Staff and Mangement are fantastic and the setting beautiful. I wish I was getting married again, I would choose this venue. Good value for money, excellent parking facilities. Hd lunch here today with friends today, bliss.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank DanaKR7964
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Dinner at Meifod on Friday evening was so pleasant.
Nice start with drinks in the bar by an open log fire and, unlike some other places, the large glasses of wine really are "large".
Then candle-lit meals in the dining room, where my mixed grill was huge and delicious, and I can recommend the superb stilton sauce accompaniment.
Others in our party really enjoyed their duck in orange, & fish meals.
The desserts were also generous portions and arrived with classy service.
Excellent quality food and genuine value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Daf1
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Ive attended a couple of weddings at Meifod and visited quite a lot for food. I must say the food has always been absolutely lovely. The staff are always friendly. The only negative I have is that service on a couple of times has been quite slow but other than that I would recommend the food 100%

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lolly2606
Berks
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I went for dinner at Meifod just after Christmas. The staff were lovely and welcoming, the resturant beautifully decorated and the food was excellent. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank BerksTravellerXYZ
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My sister got married at the Meifod on Friday and it was absolutely fabulous. The venue was amazing. The Orangery, where the ceremony and the evening meal were held was just magical. Hundreds of twinkley lights and huge candles made it so beautiful. The food was devine, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful, and were always polite and friendly.

We had booked all the rooms in the hotel for the Bridal party and they were all lovely. Clean, and charming. Only one of the rooms 'seinot' which I stayed in was a little bit tired, and the bathroom could do with replacing, but all of the others were really lovely.

Aside from the wedding breakfast and evening buffet - which were both so scrummy - we also ate breakfast twice at the hotel, which was plentiful and delicious.

I had read a couple of the other reviews and have to admit was a little nervous, but there was totally no need. The Meifod is a rustic and charming hotel that I will definately be looking to go back to for a nice romantic break.... never know I might be next!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
12 Thank londonchicky
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed here for one night on business I arrived late due to a accident on the motorway so I didn't pre book I was led into the lounge area where I checked in and was informed I had booked the last ensuite room and was duly charged £45.00 how lucky was i to get the last room I thought this a bit odd as there was only 5 cars parked on the drive I ordered my food and went to take my bags to the room the whole place creaked stairs floor boards wardrobe doors still it was late and I needed a bed I went down for my evening meal beer battered fish chips and mushy peas I sat on a table laid out for 4 people as there was only 2 other people in the restaurant and the both had tables for 4 or more people I was then moved by the person serving to table laid out for 1 billy no mates I wasn't offered a bread roll or a jug of water as the others had but of course I come late the meal arrived and looked resonable apart from the 3 shades of brown chips obviously some warm ups and some fresh cooked
I left about a third of the meal as I just couldn't eat I went to bed as the lounge was being painted and wasn't offered anywhere else to sit the room was old and needed re decorating the ceiling light fitting was not fitted correctly and was hanging down the sink taps pointed in different directions and the bath had black stains all around the edge where the sealant was missing and my pet the toilet seat was like a roller coaster it moved that much having recently had a hip replacement I cant have sudden movements to my joint the kettle was half full of water which again is a pet hate I got into bed that also creaked and I could feel every spring again not good when youv'e had a hip replacement so a very disturbed night especially as when people moved around the floorboards noise was awful at first light I packed my bags and went to breakfast originally I had ordered a full breakfast but changed this to bacon and eggs when this arrived it was floating in grease and I just couldn't eat so I checked out and left would I return I don't think so it's not good value for money and is desperate for a refurbishment all around

Room Tip: I dont think there is one