“Fabulous hospitality - excellent food - lovely location”

and 1 more site!
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Bolton
“Fabulous hospitality - excellent food - lovely location”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I have just returned from a two nights stay at the Meifod with my parents. Unfortunately, the reasons for our stay was a family funeral and we had booked the hotel for the wake after the service.

From the moment we arrived we couldn't have been looked after better. A roaring log fire fire greeted us in the residents lounge along with the warmest welcome from Lucy, one of the regular staff members of the team.

Dinner that night was lovely though the portions are not for the fainthearted. My parents had portions of beautiful cod in homemade light crispy beer batter and tasty homemade chips. My house salad and garlic mushrooms were heavenly.

The following day the hotel provided a cold buffet for 40 of us in the main conservatory which is a beautiful room for any occasion and I'm sure looks absolutely stunning when dressed and set for a wedding. The food was all home made and presented beautifully. Again we were looked after 100%
We opted for the cooked breakfast on both mornings which, along with a large pot of tea and big jug of coffee set us up for the day.

I've read some of the previous reviews with interest particularly with respect to the hotel rooms and interior... yes the carpet in the main thoroughfare is in need of a good shampoo and the dim lighting in the bedrooms did nothing to help my failing eyesight but it has to be said that this is an old Victorian family house hotel with just five bedrooms and many of its original & 'lived-in' features are very much part of its charm.

The only thing that could have been added (for me anyway) was the presence a couple of daily newspapers in the snug lounge and then to curl up and lose myself in these in total comfort!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Liversedge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Although the happy couple had a fantastic day, venue definitely a let down. Stayed in Meiford the night before and night of the wedding. After travelling down from Leeds getting there late it was not what I expected. Main entrance the glass to the door was broken covered with plastic, the carpets in main area leading to the rooms were dirty. For £110 a night the room was below standard, the light fittings were hanging off with little working bulbs. The curtains were hanging on by a thread. Bathroom, where to start toilet was on a sani-flow system every time you flushed it or ran the tap it sounded like a mini digger in the room. Toilet would not flush, someone did come to the room to fix 45 minutes later toilet off the wall it was sorted. One of the staff came to replace bin and toilet roll in the bathroom to be informed one of the keys for my room was missing! Not a great nights sleep after hearing that to say the least. As a paying guest you would expect to have access to all areas in the hotel, we were told not to be/sit in the public area?! Wouldn't recommend for a wedding.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Loz M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Went to a wedding here and I have to say it was so buetifully decorated. Downfall on the drinks tho they were very overpriced!I payed for a vodka and coke at £3.90 in the day and after the meal I was getting charged £7 for a vodka and coke.My dad also gave the bar man £20 and the bar man served someone else without giving him the change and clamed he gave him £10 not £20. Have to say the hotel is WAY WAY overpriced for what the bride and groom payed for the meal I mean come on its cheaper at a 5 star hotel!!But despite all the issues raized like I said the place was buetifully decorated and we all had a wonderfull day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Bangor
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Attended a wedding last week. We know what they happy couple paid for this and to be honest I thought it was overpriced. On arrival there was no-one to greet the guests, the bar was poorly managed and staff a little invisible in their presence. Guests were told they could not go into certain rooms as they were for regulars which as some of the wedding party had booked most of the rooms was ridiculous.
Staff wise I found the place to be understaffed and decidely average. Bar-staff should be told not to place money in till until after the change has been given over as I am 100% certain I was shortchanged a tenner. The setting is very good and the room was well laid out.
After the wedding bar prices seemed to increase dramatically. Wedding food was ok although the stand out was the dessert of baked Bara Brith which was excellent.
Having attended a wedding in one of the Llandudno Hotels a few months previously, there is no comparison with the professionalism of the staff there and the slip shop service at Meifod.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank maxieslim
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2012

i have just read some of the very negative reviews of the Meifod Hotel and am astounded that the comments could be the same place i visited last weekend.
i live in Australia and returned to Wales to attend my sister and now brother-in-law's wedding. The service, wedding dinner and evening party with BBQ were all conducted at the Meifod.
The venue was most elegantly decorated; the attention to detail was without fault. My understanding is that the decorations are planned with the staff and there are a few different themes to choose from.
The staff who served the wedding meal were all pleasant and helpful, and the manageress was absolutely excellent. All courses were served with efficiency.The quality of the wedding luncheon - vegetable soup, roast lamb and cheesecake - was excellent and the accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection. The evening BBQ food was also of great quality and abundance and very reasonably priced per head.

The ladies toilets were spotless and I thought really elegantly and classically decorated. The marquee was fine - we didn't use it much but it was set up to seat all guests. The grounds are tidy. We stayed overnight and yes, while the room was small, it is an old building and i would suggest the size of the room we stayed in reflects the era in which it was built - ie Victorian. If i had to make any criticism, it would simply be to query the use of carpet in a bathroom these days......Besides, the room that acted as a bridal suite was very substantial. not having lived in the UK for ten years, I assumed the price for one night there was standard for the level of accomodation received.
breakfast the next morning was excellent adn delivered with excellent service.
Overall, the building was spotless, tastefully and elegantly decorated, and the quality of the food served was excellent. In my opinion, the staff worked incredibly long and hard hours to provide this standard of service, and I applaud them for their commitment to providing such standards of excellence.I would recommend this venue for simply Sunday lunch or for any formal function. My understanding is that it is fully booked with two weddings a week for the next 12 months - so it can't be that bad! it would be my first choice of venue for a wedding/christening/family occassion, and I thank the staff for providing me with a day well worthy of the 24 hour trip from Down Under.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Caroline B
Wales
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We had Sunday lunch at Plas Maenan the previous week and there is no comparison. The Meifod's service is ordinary and without class. The main course was very good although they forgot to offer us mint, and apple sauces. The desserts were very poor: a Pavlova with a merengue bought from the local supermarket (not homemade) and an apple crumble which was not crumbly (not the right consistency) instead it tasted rather doughy.
My advice is: have the main course and avoid the desserts. The hotel needs to train their staff in how to treat customers in an elegant and professional manner. As for our future Sunday lunches, we will return to Plas Maenan.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FandangoEspanol
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Called here to sample Sunday lunch in a party of five so my review is of the restaurant, not the accommodation. Our table had been pre-booked, something I’d recommend because the place was very busy (always a good sign). On arrival we found our way to the dining room, a large conservatory at the back of the building. Our friends had been to the restaurant before and knew the way, but I did wonder how casual visitors would go about locating it, as this involves something of a trek through the building.

On arrival we were shown straight to our table and left with menus. Sunday lunch is a fixed-price deal with two and three course options. Unlike many similar offers, there’s a good choice of dishes, and not just roast meats. Our order was taken quickly and the food arrived promptly.

The soup was recommended to us, and proved delicious and wholesome – a far cry from the watery gruel I’ve sometimes suffered at other restaurants!

The first thing to strike us about the main course was the huge portion of meat – great for those with good appetites but a little daunting for an elderly member of the party. The roasts were served with a huge Yorkshire pudding and delicious gravy. Between us we sampled most of the meats and all were cooked to perfection, tender and flavoursome. The meats were accompanied by a good choice of fresh vegetables which were all well cooked and attractively presented.

There was a good range of desserts, of which our party sampled (and enjoyed) several. We rounded the meal off with some ‘real’ coffee.

Throughout the meal, the service was friendly and attentive but never obtrusive.

Overall, the meal was very, very good and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I honestly can’t fault the food at all, it’s the best Sunday lunch I’ve had in a long time. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank NeilT1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
Seiont Manor Hotel
Seiont Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanrug
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!