“Very Happy Mom.”

and 1 more site!
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We had Lunch at Meifod for Mother's Day and my 95 year old Mom had a ball. We have grown up children( they were too busy to come,, say no more!!!) The Carvery was excellent, service spot on, atmosphere great. We have never had bad food here. The setting is lovely and only a couple of miles away from Caernarfon. A big thankyou to everyone for making Mom's day very special.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank DanaKR7964

Reviewed 26 February 2013

My family and I (wife and three young sons) stayed here in May 2011 but I've only just got round to writing this after 20 months. We turned up without a reservation, after the accommodation we had originally booked let us down. The staff were very accommodating, and managed to work out how two adults and three children (one in a cot) could stay in one room.

We were given a great room with a big comfortable bed, camp bed for two kids and space for the cot and also managed to negotiate a good rate.

The staff were relaxed and friendly and breakfast was excellent. It's never easy with three children in a hotel restaurant but here it was no problem.

During our stay, we had a meal at the Meifod with our extended families who were holidaying at the same time down the road (by intention). So that made 6 adults and 5 children for one evening meal. The food and service were excellent but the prices were a little steep.

So 5 stars for the Meifod. The only slightly negative comment would be that the bathroom (whilst very clean) was a bit dated.

I hope to return one day.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank rayk1011
Reviewed 19 February 2013

After arriving on business with 2 other colleagues our initial impressions were good. The host, Lucy duly took our details and issued our keys. I believe there were only one other couple staying in the hotel.
I was surprised to find I had been given the bridal suite, which was very old fashioned but in a nice way (4 poster bed, carved furniture, free standing bath - as mentioned by others, kettle half full - pet hate). We sat down stairs in the lounge on the evening and had a drink in front if the large open fire, before being lead into the dining room for dinner. The food was average but plentiful (I had thi fish cakes & mixed grill). The tables were set nicely, but being the only ones there it lacked any atmosphere as there was no music etc. On retiring to my room I found the bed to be rather uncomfortable, the mattress sagged and I ended up with a bad back ache (I'm 27). Then early hours onwards I was horrifically ill. I hadn't felt right since dinner and can only attribute it to dodgy or under cooked fish cakes. Looking at other reviews perhaps I was just unlucky or mistaken, but considering how ill I was its unlikely ill be staying again or recommended to others.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Rocka109
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I have just returned from a two nights stay at the Meifod with my parents. Unfortunately, the reasons for our stay was a family funeral and we had booked the hotel for the wake after the service.

From the moment we arrived we couldn't have been looked after better. A roaring log fire fire greeted us in the residents lounge along with the warmest welcome from Lucy, one of the regular staff members of the team.

Dinner that night was lovely though the portions are not for the fainthearted. My parents had portions of beautiful cod in homemade light crispy beer batter and tasty homemade chips. My house salad and garlic mushrooms were heavenly.

The following day the hotel provided a cold buffet for 40 of us in the main conservatory which is a beautiful room for any occasion and I'm sure looks absolutely stunning when dressed and set for a wedding. The food was all home made and presented beautifully. Again we were looked after 100%
We opted for the cooked breakfast on both mornings which, along with a large pot of tea and big jug of coffee set us up for the day.

I've read some of the previous reviews with interest particularly with respect to the hotel rooms and interior... yes the carpet in the main thoroughfare is in need of a good shampoo and the dim lighting in the bedrooms did nothing to help my failing eyesight but it has to be said that this is an old Victorian family house hotel with just five bedrooms and many of its original & 'lived-in' features are very much part of its charm.

The only thing that could have been added (for me anyway) was the presence a couple of daily newspapers in the snug lounge and then to curl up and lose myself in these in total comfort!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Although the happy couple had a fantastic day, venue definitely a let down. Stayed in Meiford the night before and night of the wedding. After travelling down from Leeds getting there late it was not what I expected. Main entrance the glass to the door was broken covered with plastic, the carpets in main area leading to the rooms were dirty. For £110 a night the room was below standard, the light fittings were hanging off with little working bulbs. The curtains were hanging on by a thread. Bathroom, where to start toilet was on a sani-flow system every time you flushed it or ran the tap it sounded like a mini digger in the room. Toilet would not flush, someone did come to the room to fix 45 minutes later toilet off the wall it was sorted. One of the staff came to replace bin and toilet roll in the bathroom to be informed one of the keys for my room was missing! Not a great nights sleep after hearing that to say the least. As a paying guest you would expect to have access to all areas in the hotel, we were told not to be/sit in the public area?! Wouldn't recommend for a wedding.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Loz M
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Went to a wedding here and I have to say it was so buetifully decorated. Downfall on the drinks tho they were very overpriced!I payed for a vodka and coke at £3.90 in the day and after the meal I was getting charged £7 for a vodka and coke.My dad also gave the bar man £20 and the bar man served someone else without giving him the change and clamed he gave him £10 not £20. Have to say the hotel is WAY WAY overpriced for what the bride and groom payed for the meal I mean come on its cheaper at a 5 star hotel!!But despite all the issues raized like I said the place was buetifully decorated and we all had a wonderfull day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Attended a wedding last week. We know what they happy couple paid for this and to be honest I thought it was overpriced. On arrival there was no-one to greet the guests, the bar was poorly managed and staff a little invisible in their presence. Guests were told they could not go into certain rooms as they were for regulars which as some of the wedding party had booked most of the rooms was ridiculous.
Staff wise I found the place to be understaffed and decidely average. Bar-staff should be told not to place money in till until after the change has been given over as I am 100% certain I was shortchanged a tenner. The setting is very good and the room was well laid out.
After the wedding bar prices seemed to increase dramatically. Wedding food was ok although the stand out was the dessert of baked Bara Brith which was excellent.
Having attended a wedding in one of the Llandudno Hotels a few months previously, there is no comparison with the professionalism of the staff there and the slip shop service at Meifod.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maxieslim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!