“ANNIVERSARY MEAL”

and 1 more site!
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband booked a table at the Meifod for us to celebrate our anniversary. We have eaten here in the past, allbeit on a Sunday, but not for a while. Previous times we have eaten here it has been very nice but what a contrast this time. The service was diabolical. When we arrived there were a few other customers in the lounge area. Our table was ready on time. We ordered our main meal, it arrived and it was ok. After that it went downhill. We couldn't find any members of staff to clear the table or order a sweet. We waited and waited and waited!!! In the end I decided to look for a member of staff so that we could order a sweet. I ended up in the kitchen area asking a kitchen assistant if he could find someone for us to place the order. I returned to my seat, still no one arrived, in the end we gave up. We returned to the bar area. Eventually after some time, a lady appeared and apologised. What on earth are they doing there? We were the only two customers eating that night but I am actually not surprised given the service. We were so fed up of waiting we decided not to have the sweet and to just settle the bill and go home. NEVER AGAIN!!! We cannot make any review on the hotel itself as we didn't stay there. They obviously need to get better staff before they can even think of getting the customers.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan G

Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

Just lacks attention to detail in most respects. My room was lovely, but hadn't been cleaned properly. Last occupiers rubbish in the waste bin, dusty, used bar of soap on the sink, dried toothpaste in the sink, lots of small things, that tell you nobody has given it too much thought.

Hotel was almost empty of guests which was great for a peaceful stay, yetthe bar area still had dirty glasses left out on the tables, and tables that had been left unwired. Small detail that should be managed in the general scheme of things.

Good food in the restaurant. Plenty of choice on the menu, and plenty of food on the plate when it arrived.

With a bit more thought and customer focus, this hotel could easily be turned into a luxury weekend bolthole. Everything they need is there, it just has to be managed correctly.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank superDJ
Reviewed 1 June 2013

On holiday in the area we decided to have a treat and eat out and wanted something a bit special. other than the local pub grub.
We were not disappointed by Meifod. Our party of 6 adults and a toddler called in on aThursday evening. We were welcomed immediately and asked if we wanted a drink and given menus to peruse.
We selected our meals whilst relaxing in the bar area, and after a short time we were shown into the restaurant area.
Four of us went for the mixed grill and my wife had the Lamb shank, my son in law had chicken and the toddler was given a lovely little children`s meal .
The whole experience was great, the food was excellent, homely and good portions. a nice treat and a bit better than the local pubs.
Thankyou to the nice lady who looked after us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Had a lovley wedding meal at the Meifod today. Leek & Potato soup followed by melt in the mouth Welsh beef (and PLENTY) of it with roasts, carrots, broccoli, mash and a huge Yorkshire pudding. The dessert was a brandy snap basket with ice cream and fresh fruit. If this is the typical food served there I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Value wise fantastic - as we didn't have to pay!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was the Maid of Honour at a wedding the Meifod Hotel and I have a lot of praise to give. I stayed the night before and the night of the wedding.

The room -
I stayed in the family room which has a put up bed on request. The beds were comfortable with luxurious bedding. The room was big, spacious with good lighting. The bathroom was on the smaller side. The only problem was when my room or the room opposite used the shower or hot water there was a terrible loud noise every 60 seconds which might annoy some people. My 5 year old slept in the put up bed all night so was obviously comfortable too.Robes, biscuits, card games, an iron with board and books were nice added touches.

The food -
We had dinner the night before in the dining room which was beautifully set out. The food was tastefully displayed and obviously freshly cooked. Delicious!

The staff -
The waiters and waitresses were polite and friendly. Cannot give enough praise to the lovely lady Babs, who never seems to stop in the Hotel. She was always there for us, nothing was too much to ask. She really made our stay and the wedding day a pleasant one. Thank you very much Babs!

The wedding -
Drinks on arrival were the marquee. A lovely setting with heart shaped welsh cakes - again the little touches make a difference! We had photographs in the grounds of the hotel which were memorial and lovely with the trees and plants. The wedding breakfast was served in The Orangery which was the most beautifully set out room I have ever seen. White drapes hanging from the ceiling, chair covers, flowers and hearts scattered around the room. It was very romantic. The food came quickly and everyone was served within good time of each other considering there were 80 guests. The food was delicious again with good portion sizes. In the evening, there was a delicious BBQ with plenty of choice although maybe not much for a vegetarian except pasta, salad or potatoes. I can't comment on drinks prices as I didn't pay for any they were bought for me.

All in all, I have a very enjoyable stay in the Meifod Hotel and will be returning for Evening meals in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My brother got married here last year and while I can't comment on the rooms, I don't agree with the few negative comments on here. The whole thing was amazing from start to finish and the staff, especially Barbara, bent over backwards for us and the surprises we had lined up for the bride and groom. It was so good that I even considered coming back for my own wedding in 2013, but unfortunately they were already booked on the date I wanted.

The food was outstanding, the grounds stunning and all of the guests (100+) commented on how good the venue was. I loved the way they did the barbecue, the only problem was that we were still all so stuffed from lunch that we couldn't eat much! The decor in the dining room was perfect for a wedding, the table decorations, layout.... absolutely faultless.

Being local to the area, I can tell you that this is one of three venues that most couples choose for their wedding breakfast and it's widely recognised as being one of the best in this part of North Wales. For me the only downside is that there are only 6 bedrooms so I couldn't stay over, but Meifod is just a few minutes from Caernarfon, where there is plenty of accommodation to be found.

Easily the best wedding I've ever been to, and not because the groom was my brother. Meifod was fabulous from start to finish and I highly recommend it to everyone. Go for Sunday lunch, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank krousseau81
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We had lunch at the meifod on monday it was excellent wonderfull service and a bit roaring fire in the lounge that was really appreciated as it was a freezing day.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank tomacco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Tyn Rhos Country House
Tyn Rhos Country House
#1 of 1 in Llanddeiniolen

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!