“Lovely food and good night sleep”

and 1 more site!
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Cheshire
“Lovely food and good night sleep”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I’ve attended a couple of functions at Meifod and visited quite a lot for food. I must say the food has always been nice, but as usual over prices.
The only negative I have is that service on a couple of times has been quite slow. The staffs are friendly but there is one large gentleman which I haven’t seen before, he could do with, getting his clothing shorted looks like that he has worn the same clothes all week (shirt out of his trousers, trousers falling off all he was doing was pulling his trousers up, get him some braces otherwise they will fall off, that will definatly put me off my food~~)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chris J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The place could do with a make over and a good scrub to be honest. The food was lovely but what really made our night was the gentleman who served us. He said he had only been there two weeks but to talk to him and see him work you would have thought it was his own business. He was so attentive to our needs without being 'in your face'. He was happy and courteous and always smiling. He seemed to really enjoy his work and then he told us it was only a part time job as he had another full time job! What a trooper! I can't believe that someone could work full time and then go to another job after working all day and still be so enthusiastic and welcoming! I would definitely eat here again knowing that he would be there. I just wish we could have got his name. Well, whoever he his, the business is better for him being there. Well done to our wonderful waiter!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stuart B
Devon
Reviewed 16 August 2013

An unplanned stop found me in Caernarfon and, in turn, the Meifod. 1st room I was put in was a claustrophobic twin room with urine on back of the loo pan & torn curtains. I asked to be moved and was put in a good sized room with fresh linen but the carpets weren't clean and the walls were dirty with splashes and stains on them. There were 4 energy saving light bulbs in the 7 armed chandelier of which 2 worked. The WiFi 'doesn't work any more, sorry' was a fair summation of the whole experience - it must have been a lovely place 10 years ago but someone has seriously taken their eye of the ball. The staff, however, were extremely helpful & polite. If I'd been staying in Caernarfon a second night I would have found somewhere else without hesitation. To give some credence to this review; I've never written a negative review before nor asked to change a room in my 52 years on this enchanting rock we all share

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jabiru_EGHD
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Starting from a terrible meal with Cheap wine we retired to our room which was disappointing only to be woken in the late hours by drunken guests and loud music.
Around 5 am we where woken again by the staff in the cellars moving the bottles. We checked out as soon as we could deciding not to stay a second night only to receive an extra bill 3 days later saying unauthorised payment cardholder not present! We called and were always told the manager not available and nothing we could do , only £40 but been on a pension it is a lot to us. Wanted to warm others.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank lt872
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband booked a table at the Meifod for us to celebrate our anniversary. We have eaten here in the past, allbeit on a Sunday, but not for a while. Previous times we have eaten here it has been very nice but what a contrast this time. The service was diabolical. When we arrived there were a few other customers in the lounge area. Our table was ready on time. We ordered our main meal, it arrived and it was ok. After that it went downhill. We couldn't find any members of staff to clear the table or order a sweet. We waited and waited and waited!!! In the end I decided to look for a member of staff so that we could order a sweet. I ended up in the kitchen area asking a kitchen assistant if he could find someone for us to place the order. I returned to my seat, still no one arrived, in the end we gave up. We returned to the bar area. Eventually after some time, a lady appeared and apologised. What on earth are they doing there? We were the only two customers eating that night but I am actually not surprised given the service. We were so fed up of waiting we decided not to have the sweet and to just settle the bill and go home. NEVER AGAIN!!! We cannot make any review on the hotel itself as we didn't stay there. They obviously need to get better staff before they can even think of getting the customers.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Susan G
Cumbria
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

Just lacks attention to detail in most respects. My room was lovely, but hadn't been cleaned properly. Last occupiers rubbish in the waste bin, dusty, used bar of soap on the sink, dried toothpaste in the sink, lots of small things, that tell you nobody has given it too much thought.

Hotel was almost empty of guests which was great for a peaceful stay, yetthe bar area still had dirty glasses left out on the tables, and tables that had been left unwired. Small detail that should be managed in the general scheme of things.

Good food in the restaurant. Plenty of choice on the menu, and plenty of food on the plate when it arrived.

With a bit more thought and customer focus, this hotel could easily be turned into a luxury weekend bolthole. Everything they need is there, it just has to be managed correctly.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank superDJ
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

On holiday in the area we decided to have a treat and eat out and wanted something a bit special. other than the local pub grub.
We were not disappointed by Meifod. Our party of 6 adults and a toddler called in on aThursday evening. We were welcomed immediately and asked if we wanted a drink and given menus to peruse.
We selected our meals whilst relaxing in the bar area, and after a short time we were shown into the restaurant area.
Four of us went for the mixed grill and my wife had the Lamb shank, my son in law had chicken and the toddler was given a lovely little children`s meal .
The whole experience was great, the food was excellent, homely and good portions. a nice treat and a bit better than the local pubs.
Thankyou to the nice lady who looked after us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
Seiont Manor Hotel
Seiont Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanrug
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!