“Lunchtime Stopover”

and 1 more site!
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Called here with my partner on the way to another establishment just down the road (where we were staying, Plas Dinas). We were hoping that the staff could accommodate us for an impromptu simple lunch at short notice. The venue was all set up, beautifully decorated for Xmas fare e.g. lunches and evening meals etc. However, the staff could not have been more welcoming - we had soup and a sandwich. Good value and served with a smile. All very pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Sunday Lunch here is a treat. I do not have to cook or wash up and the food is 'FAB' please support this wonderful venue. The owners are lovely and really care about how their Guests enjoy the time spent with them. Excellent venue for a Wedding by the way!!

Room Tip: We have never slept here, we only live 'down the road' but it's location means all the r...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DanaKR7964
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Popped in for a light lunch on our day out, so glad we did. The Meifod is lovely place for any sort of function, evening out or lunch. We had our meal in the lounge in very comfy armchairs in front of the stunning fireplace, was quite reluctant to move. Our lunch was very quickly prepared, beautifully fresh ingredients and plenty of it. The lunch and dinner menus were both extensive and mouthwatering. Overall the food was excellant, great value for money and very good service. Will be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank cardgirl
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I’ve attended a couple of functions at Meifod and visited quite a lot for food. I must say the food has always been nice, but as usual over prices.
The only negative I have is that service on a couple of times has been quite slow. The staffs are friendly but there is one large gentleman which I haven’t seen before, he could do with, getting his clothing shorted looks like that he has worn the same clothes all week (shirt out of his trousers, trousers falling off all he was doing was pulling his trousers up, get him some braces otherwise they will fall off, that will definatly put me off my food~~)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris J
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The place could do with a make over and a good scrub to be honest. The food was lovely but what really made our night was the gentleman who served us. He said he had only been there two weeks but to talk to him and see him work you would have thought it was his own business. He was so attentive to our needs without being 'in your face'. He was happy and courteous and always smiling. He seemed to really enjoy his work and then he told us it was only a part time job as he had another full time job! What a trooper! I can't believe that someone could work full time and then go to another job after working all day and still be so enthusiastic and welcoming! I would definitely eat here again knowing that he would be there. I just wish we could have got his name. Well, whoever he his, the business is better for him being there. Well done to our wonderful waiter!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed 16 August 2013

An unplanned stop found me in Caernarfon and, in turn, the Meifod. 1st room I was put in was a claustrophobic twin room with urine on back of the loo pan & torn curtains. I asked to be moved and was put in a good sized room with fresh linen but the carpets weren't clean and the walls were dirty with splashes and stains on them. There were 4 energy saving light bulbs in the 7 armed chandelier of which 2 worked. The WiFi 'doesn't work any more, sorry' was a fair summation of the whole experience - it must have been a lovely place 10 years ago but someone has seriously taken their eye of the ball. The staff, however, were extremely helpful & polite. If I'd been staying in Caernarfon a second night I would have found somewhere else without hesitation. To give some credence to this review; I've never written a negative review before nor asked to change a room in my 52 years on this enchanting rock we all share

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jabiru_EGHD
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Starting from a terrible meal with Cheap wine we retired to our room which was disappointing only to be woken in the late hours by drunken guests and loud music.
Around 5 am we where woken again by the staff in the cellars moving the bottles. We checked out as soon as we could deciding not to stay a second night only to receive an extra bill 3 days later saying unauthorised payment cardholder not present! We called and were always told the manager not available and nothing we could do , only £40 but been on a pension it is a lot to us. Wanted to warm others.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank lt872
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!