“The only redeemable feature was its staff. Terrible venue” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
bucks
“The only redeemable feature was its staff. Terrible venue”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Where do I start with this terrible terrible disaster of a place. My partners family booked a surprise birthday "treat" here . Our party of twelve arrived on time at 6pm. Half of us loitered in the hallway, half of us loitered in the cramped bar area. We waited for some acknowledgement but nothing came. Eventually some staff hurried past us with a "won't be long type of greeting. A little later whilst we were frankly all at bit embarrassed standing there, we were given some paper dinner menus to look at. A chap took a drinks order, again whilst we were split into two groups. I asked the barman/waiter was there anything not available on the menu and he assured us all was well. Whilst still split and still standing someone took a food order. By now two of our family members was clearly uncomfortable and left. To cut a long story short my lamb shank was suddenly not available and the three mixed grill we ordered were not available some time after bearing in mind it was only 6.30 ! . We were then called into the restaurant for dinner some 45 minutes later, not into the main dining room but into a giant tent with one table set up in a sea of empty tables. To add insult to injury the giant tent leaked rain on us for the remainder of the evening. A waiter did offer to set another table in the tent like structure after all there were plenty of empty ones to choose from. The food was poorly cooked, not that made any difference in this disaster of a place. Beware the photos do not do this justice. It is dirty, cold and the toilets were out of order so my family had to pee in the dark all evening in another toilet in a "camp" area called the oranagery. This restaurant is probably the worst example of an understaffed under valued and thoroughly miserable excuse for an eatery I have ever had the misfortune to stumble in to. If it wasn't to had to my family's pain my partner and I would have walked in the first 10 minutes. The staff tried hard to work but their management let them down .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank mkguyukBucks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Called here with my partner on the way to another establishment just down the road (where we were staying, Plas Dinas). We were hoping that the staff could accommodate us for an impromptu simple lunch at short notice. The venue was all set up, beautifully decorated for Xmas fare e.g. lunches and evening meals etc. However, the staff could not have been more welcoming - we had soup and a sandwich. Good value and served with a smile. All very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Sunday Lunch here is a treat. I do not have to cook or wash up and the food is 'FAB' please support this wonderful venue. The owners are lovely and really care about how their Guests enjoy the time spent with them. Excellent venue for a Wedding by the way!!

Room Tip: We have never slept here, we only live 'down the road' but it's location means all the r...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DanaKR7964
Anglesey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Popped in for a light lunch on our day out, so glad we did. The Meifod is lovely place for any sort of function, evening out or lunch. We had our meal in the lounge in very comfy armchairs in front of the stunning fireplace, was quite reluctant to move. Our lunch was very quickly prepared, beautifully fresh ingredients and plenty of it. The lunch and dinner menus were both extensive and mouthwatering. Overall the food was excellant, great value for money and very good service. Will be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank cardgirl
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I’ve attended a couple of functions at Meifod and visited quite a lot for food. I must say the food has always been nice, but as usual over prices.
The only negative I have is that service on a couple of times has been quite slow. The staffs are friendly but there is one large gentleman which I haven’t seen before, he could do with, getting his clothing shorted looks like that he has worn the same clothes all week (shirt out of his trousers, trousers falling off all he was doing was pulling his trousers up, get him some braces otherwise they will fall off, that will definatly put me off my food~~)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Chris J
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The place could do with a make over and a good scrub to be honest. The food was lovely but what really made our night was the gentleman who served us. He said he had only been there two weeks but to talk to him and see him work you would have thought it was his own business. He was so attentive to our needs without being 'in your face'. He was happy and courteous and always smiling. He seemed to really enjoy his work and then he told us it was only a part time job as he had another full time job! What a trooper! I can't believe that someone could work full time and then go to another job after working all day and still be so enthusiastic and welcoming! I would definitely eat here again knowing that he would be there. I just wish we could have got his name. Well, whoever he his, the business is better for him being there. Well done to our wonderful waiter!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stuart B
Devon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

An unplanned stop found me in Caernarfon and, in turn, the Meifod. 1st room I was put in was a claustrophobic twin room with urine on back of the loo pan & torn curtains. I asked to be moved and was put in a good sized room with fresh linen but the carpets weren't clean and the walls were dirty with splashes and stains on them. There were 4 energy saving light bulbs in the 7 armed chandelier of which 2 worked. The WiFi 'doesn't work any more, sorry' was a fair summation of the whole experience - it must have been a lovely place 10 years ago but someone has seriously taken their eye of the ball. The staff, however, were extremely helpful & polite. If I'd been staying in Caernarfon a second night I would have found somewhere else without hesitation. To give some credence to this review; I've never written a negative review before nor asked to change a room in my 52 years on this enchanting rock we all share

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Jabiru_EGHD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bontnewydd
Black Boy Inn
The Anglesey Arms Hotel
The Anglesey Arms Hotel
#8 of 8 in Caernarfon
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!