“Lovely setting”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Criccieth
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Recently attended a wedding here and stayed overnight. I thought the hotel and grounds were set in a beautiful location. Our room was small but very modern and comfortable. The food was ok, nicely presented! Drinks are quite expensive, over £9 for two glasses of wine. Service could do with a little improvement, for example, when the canapés were served the waitress didn't even know what was in them and when there were kids running around, one woman had a face like thunder! Basic stuff really. Other guests who had breakfast the following morning found the service to be quite slow. We did have a lovely day though and the setting was beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lolly2606

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Cartegena
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Visited this part of north Wales and our first stay at this charming hotel was truly a treat - food was probably some of the best we have had in the UK all home made breads and some lovely scummy desserts - and plenty of it, nothing was too much trouble even my daughters fussy eating was not a problem, the hotel is spotlessly clean and comfortable and the rooms are light and airy with big beds although my daughter had a smaller room it was exactly the same as ours only a smaller version . Will definitely come back and thank you for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are lovely
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jean B
Southampton
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed here for a friends wedding, despite the fact that we only live down the road - right decision! Stunning grounds, cozy room, wonderful service. Best nights sleep we've had in a long time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KatieSouthampton
stourbridge
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and myself enjoyed yet another mini break at the end of February at Bron Eifion where we have been taking short breaks for the past five years. For us this charming hotel offers peace,tranquillity, comfort and superb food. We have always experienced excellent levels of service and on the odd rare occasion when we have encountered a problem matters where resolved to our complete satisfaction.
We have travelled quite extensively throughout the world and still love to return to Bon Eifion and will continue to highly recommend this hotel...

Room Tip: Room four is our favourite room...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank allan f
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Had two night dinner b&b in January, in their ground floor room as we have a little westie, and this room has its own entrance which is a fab idea for little pooches. The olde worlde charm of the hotel is splendid with open roaring fires and a fabulous wooden gallery landing to sit and stare at and wonder at the old craftsmanship. Room was high quality, everything you could need, and then what a shock, we went for dinner and the quality of the food was only comparible with the Bull's 'Loft' in Beaumaris, outstanding and innovative, taste explosions in every bite. Breakfast was very good, lots of choice. Excellent, cosy and comfortable all round.

Room Tip: Onlysaw the ground floor 'little' dog friendly room, superb.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Victoria1719Cottage
Harlech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Wrote to the venue after a disappointing meal - received letter back not addressing any of my points and basically telling me not to go back again. I had stated in my letter that rather than just post negative feedback I thought it only fair to write to them first - how wrong could I have been - it just got worse!!

My complaint was shared with a third party without my consent and when I'd specifically stated that I did not want them to know. A full refund was sent (which I had not asked for or desired) but they need to realise that something done in such poor grace is pointless.

Part of the meal was very nice, but my complaint was about the lack of effort which seemed to have been completely overlooked in the response; the proprietor seems to have just got cross at the fact that I had the temerity to complain and even used words as quotes in the response that I had not used in the complaint, eg inept. The repeated references to my not having raised it at the time were pointless, I had explained in my letter why I had not done so.

My guess is that if all goes well you'll probably have a nice time, but if anything is not up to your expectations then woe betide you if you complain!!!

Have attached my letter and the response (or lack of) - make your own mind up!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank Clare W
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My partner and I booked for dinner at Bron Eifion one Monday evening. It was cold, dark, windy and wet when we arrived, but as soon as we walked through the door, it felt very warm and cosy. Sadly, there was no one to greet us on arrival, so we stood around for a short while with dripping coats and no G&T in hand. Once we had somebody's attention though, it all went swimmingly. The food was excellent - beautifully presented, but not too nouvelle on a night where we needed something hearty. We were very impressed that a hotel like this was able and willing to turn out an excellent meal on a weekday, out of season (just try booking somewhere else for dinner near here on a Monday evening). One final note to the proprietor - please think about piping some different music into the restaurant. It did feel a little bit like being in Tesco.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog

Been to Bron Eifion Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!