“Stunning views, and not much of a climb!”
Review of Criccieth Castle

Criccieth Castle
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Criccieth
More attraction details
Owner description: It is a landmark site, a true testament to the varying fortunes of war. What a picture, what a view! Perched on a headland with the sea as its constant bedfellow. Its twin-towered gatehouse intimidates prospective attackers. So badly did the native Welsh princes and English monarchs want it, that it changed hands more often than a relay baton. Built originally by Llywelyn the Great, this very Welsh of princes included a very English style of gatehouse. Edward I’s forces took the castle some 50 years later, undertook their own improvements and remodelled a tower for stone-throwing engines. Not as much fun for those at the bottom as it sounds for those at the top!
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My 3 year old daughter and I visited Criccieth Castle a few days ago. She loved climbing to the top and exploring the castle. It is not much of a walk to the top, so for small legs this is perfect- and the view is stunning- well worth a visit if you are passing

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just as every child imagines and castle. Good historical exhibition and friendly staff. Wonderful views as well.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Ok, let's get down to the nitty gritty. This is one of the major attractions in the area. It's a ruined castle; if you're expecting something akin to Caernarfon, you will be disappointed. There's no huge investment in visitor centres, museums, renovation and repair.

As an historical structure, it's maintained and it's pretty much a WYSIWYG. You get the remains, in place and not much more. For some the entrance fee to 'view' so little will be considered a rip off. But come on, let's put this in context. It's one if a series if castles, and anyone interested in that historical period will view it along with other, perhaps more popular examples. It's an important slice of the rich and diverse history of both Wales and England. It was a strategically important site and it's a privilege to tread the ground and think of the time it was constructed.

The Information Centre has a wealth of material about the castle and other places of interest. Please go with an open mind and take in the landscape, the views and the context of the setting. That's priceless.

1  Thank Astralsurfer
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I visited the Castle on Easter weekend. I was looking forward to it, as it looks so stunning from the beach. I was quite disappointed, I was expecting more than what I got to see.
It could be partly because I've seen so many Castles in Wales and this one didn't impress me.
I must admit the view was fantastic! It's worth go up to the Castle to see the view! It was a sunny day so the view was just beautiful towards to the mountains and to the sea.

Although there is not much to talk about the castle itself, the shop gave some interesting information about the history of the Castle.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I took my husband and inlaws to criccieth Good Friday. Although I spent a lot of time in criccieth when I was younger I never went Upto the castle, so I made the effort this time round. I think £7 per couple is quite expensive as there really isn't much to do of see in and around the castle...but the views where beautiful. We spent quite a while just taking in the views and sea air. My inlaws loved it. There was enough seats to sit on, though it wasn't particularly busy ( probably due to price), but we enjoyed our flask of coffee listening to the waves and looking down at the very clear blue sea. We all really enjoy it. I probably wouldn't go up there again of I'm being honest but I'm glad I have been up there