“Tootsdwales is on another planet, The Glyn y Coed hotel is superb”
Review of Glyn-y-Coed Hotel

Glyn-y-Coed Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Criccieth
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I stayed at the Glyn Y Coed hotel last week and I was absolutely bowled over by the hospitality and the sheer luxury of the place.

I was given a tray of piping hot tea when I arrived . I enjoyed this on the patio which is enhanced by a small but very ornate garden ( recently featured in Irish Life magazine)

My room was very tastefully furnished and most comfortable. I asked to see the other rooms and found to my delight that all are individually styled in a very contemporary fashion.

Breakfast was delicious with an exotic and colourful fresh fruit salad each morning followed by a tasty hot meal cooked to perfection and well presented. We were given excellent recommendations for local restaurants where we took our evening meals.

The car parking was a bonus and the location and views are superb.

I had no trouble making a reservation and can only say that TOOTSDWALES missed out by not staying at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank onlystayatbest
There are newer reviews for Glyn-y-Coed Hotel

Reviewed 1 June 2009

We have just returned from a two-night stay at the Glyn Y Coed hotel, and enjoyed every minute - we wish we could have stayed another night! The hotel is very well furnished, and tastefully decorated; the owners are very friendly, and are willing to answer any queries about the hotel, or Criccieth.

When ringing up to book the room, Julie was very friendly and offered to book us into a restaurant for when we arrived, or give us some names and numbers of the restaurants in Criccieth so we could ring ourselves. As a young couple, we did find the restaurants quite expensive, so travelled out to Porthmadog in the evenings for our meals.

Breakfast was lovely, with a wide range of different foods available; the cooked breakfast was just the right amount, and wasn't too greasy. We stayed in the four poster, sea view room, and would definitely recommend spending a little extra for the view as it was beautiful to wake up to in the morning.

Would definitely stay here again, as it was a lovely hotel and an ideal base for exploring Snowdonia and the surrounding coastal towns.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I agree with the previous reviewer- I have stayed in Criccieth many times. Although I regularly e-mail Glyn- y -coed, I never get a reply. We have stayed there before (I reserved by phone)but not recently. It is a reasonable b&b - nothing special really. I thought it was over priced. A better bet is the Glan-y-mor. which I will review in due course.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tootsdwales
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I e mailed the Glyn Y Coed hotel twice with a simple query before I booked. I did not receive a reply to either e mail. Needless to say they did not get my booking as I find that not replying is discourteous.

1  Thank tess32
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Friendly, welcoming owner. Very clean. Charming, relaxing communal rooms. Good breakfast. Have used twice in 2009 and will use again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Mrs CW and I stayed for a week and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.. Criccieth is a good base from which to explore Snowdonia and the Lleyn peninsula and, based on the reviews, we expected this to be the best place to stay in Criccieth. We were not disappointed.

Our room was large and at the front of the hotel, looking across to the castle in one direction and, in the other, along the beach and eventually across the bay to Harlech in the far distance. It was very tastefully decorated and was comfortable - not huge, but not small. The bathroom was realtively small, but was well fitted-out and certainly adequate. It is certainly worth paying for a room at the front of the hotel to enjoy the view.

Breakfast was good: the usual selection of cereals and yoghurts, fruit salad, etc and a well-prepared cooked breakfast made with good-quality ingredients. The Glyn-y-Coed does not have its own resatuarant, but that is not a drawback as there are four or five excellent restaurants within 5 minutes walk, and Julie is very willing to discuss recommendations. (Our favourite was Tir a Mor, followed by Poachers and the Moelwyn, which were both also excellent; the Chinese restaurant was not at all bad, but we were disappointed with Granvilles).

Julie is lovely: friendly and very helpful. She and Noreen keep the hotel spotless and seem to run it very effieicently.

I'm not sure whether you classify the Glyn-y-Coed as a small hotel or a large B&B. Whichever it is, it is very pleasant and although perhaps not absolutely in the top echelon of places of its kind that we have stayed in, it is not far off; we would certainly stongly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chilternwelshman
Reviewed 20 April 2009

After reading all the good reviews just hoped it lived up to expectations, which i must say it did. We had the family room, which although didn't have a sea view, was more than adequate for us as it had a lovely side room/lounge area. The hotel itself was immactulately clean. The breakfasts were fantastic, and a good variety and everything very fresh. The owners where very hospitable to my young son, who tried his best to cause mayham thoughout but they didn't seem to mind. If we ever go back to that area we would defintely stay there again. LOVELY. Only one tip we went to Tiffens restaurant (on the high street) for Sunday Lunch which was awful to say the least, we knew we were going to have a bad meal, when the waitress asked if we would like chips or new, potatoes!!! mushy veg, rubbery meat, say no more! On the other hand Poachers was fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel

Been to Glyn-y-Coed Hotel? Share your experiences!