Glyn-y-Coed Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Caerwylan Hotel(Criccieth)
SeaBanks B&B(Criccieth)
  • Beachfront
Royal Goat Hotel(Beddgelert)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshonesty barpot of teaon arrivalb bplaces to visitfresh fruitstayed in the family rooma great place to staycriccieth castlesea viewoff road parkingtop floorbreakfasts were greatcomfortable loungeplenty of parkingnorth waleswould definitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Julie and Dafydd were warm and welcoming hosts for whom nothing was too much trouble. My elderly mother and I stayed at the Glyn-y-Coed for four days and were so delighted with our stay that we plan to return in the spring for a few days.
The rooms are well appointed, beds supremely comfortable, food service and presentation excellent, cleanliness....well my mother couldn't find any dust... which means there wasn't any !
We both regularly holiday on cruise ships which are renowned for their quality of service and can honestly say that for comfort and being well looked after this hotel is just the place to stay.
To the person who complained about not getting a reply to their email, I had this problem and discovered it was due to the web hosting company failing to link correctly. When I copy and pasted the email address into my own mail service I got a very nice note of reply immediately.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2010

What more can i say, greeted with a pot of tea, stunning views over sea and mountains, clean beautifully decorated rooms with a hostess to match. Julie made us very welcome pointing out places of interest. We have already booked our next stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Just got back from another very pleasant 3 night stay at the Glyn y Coed, & as ever, the welcome, service, food & room were all very good. Julie is lovely, very bubbly & friendly, & makes you feel at home immediately. We were a bit late arriving, about 9.30 pm, but were greeted with a pot of tea & a chat in the guests' sitting room. The room was lovely, with a view of the sea & the castle. Breakfast each morning was excellent, & although the hotel was full, was definitely not rushed (despite a comment from 6th Sept, from a guest who was there at the same time as us). The place is always very clean, & again, we had no trouble getting a towel change by leaving the towel in the bath. As I said at the top of the review, this is our 5th visit, but our first review. We only wrote this one because we thought that the comments of the previous reviewer were unfair. We have recommended the hotel to several friends & family, who have all had the same very favourable impressions as us. We also had 2 very good evening meals over the weekend, one at the Moorings in Borth y Gest, & the other at the Moelwyn in Criccieth. We will be going back again next year. Thanks to Julie & staff for another lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2010

They self style as 5 star but the board outside on the roadway states AA/RAC 4 star and Welsh Tourish Board, 3 star!! The Welsh one would be far more accurate. We have just had 2 nights here at the Glyn y Coed and had 2 rooms. We paid the most we have paid anywhere during our 10 day tour of northern Wales and were therefore expecting top accommodation. For 85 pounds a night for the double room, we had a room overlooking the carpark. There were no biscuits or chocolates supplied with the tea/coffee making facilities. No plunger coffee either, just instant. No wine glasses in the room and no face washers which we have experienced in less expensive accommodation (and had come to expect in Wales). No signage to say if you want fresh towels place them in the bath; you just don't get fresh towels during your stay! Breakfast is served very late at 8.30am which makes an early start difficult. Breakfast itself is very nice and a good choice, however was very rushed. Having only a 3/4 hour window for breakfast, they try to get eveyone fed quickly. Our toilet float broke and the water kept fillling up. Julie was unable to fix this or get it repaired as it was a Sunday. Although they had available rooms, we were not offered to move to another room. Instead, my husband devised a means of using plastic cups to hold the lever until it could be repaired. We checked out before this happened. Location is good; plenty of parking.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
JulieShoes, Owner at Glyn-y-Coed Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

This family were made as welcome as any of our guests and, although they were particularly demanding over the two days, we met their needs and they seemed happy at all times. At no point did they express any disatisfaction. (I even turned a blind eye when they took our wine glasses from our bar area and then purchased drinks from the local Spar shop).

However, on checking out and paying, the gentleman said he assumed that I would be knocking money off the bill otherwise he would have to put bad comments on TripAdvisor. I refused and he became verbally aggressive, rude and upsetting.

Incidently, we are graded as 5-Star Guest Accommodation by Visit Wales / Welsh Tourist Board - not by ourselves!

Reviewed 31 August 2010

Just had a pleasant 1-night break at Glyn Y Coed. There were 3 of us - My partner and I had a lovely comfortable room with a bath on the top floor overlooking the sea, and our friend had the room opposite with a shower, which he also found to be very comfortable.

When we arrived we were greeted by Julie and told about breakfast times and the “honesty bar”, where you could simply help yourself to a range of drinks and put money in the pot. It seems like a very trusting place - We arrived early and we were told we could either take our key straight away or leave it in the door until later. The room had not been cleaned at this point so we could not check in, but we did not expect it to be because it was only about 1pm, so we left our car in the car park and decided to come back later.

Breakfast at Glyn Y Coed was nicely cooked and served from 8:30 – 9:15. My only slight issue regarding our stay was the check-out time, which turned out to be at 10am. This is quite early considering Glyn Y Coed is not a business hotel and is meant to be more of a “relaxing stay” hotel. Also, we were not advised of the check-out time when we arrived, nor can I find this information on their website (unless I’ve somehow missed it), so I assumed it would be 11am like in most guesthouses I’ve stayed in over the years. We had enjoyed a fairly late night so had gone for breakfast at 9:15am, and the first we knew of the 10am check-out time was when Julie knocked on our door at 10:25 advising me that we’d missed check-out and wanted to know how much longer we’d be because the guests who would be staying in our room that night had already arrived. This seemed surprising given that we had been unable to check-in the previous day because our room was not ready at our much later arrival time of 1pm, but nonetheless I said we’d aim to be out within 10 minutes and we tried to get our stuff together as quickly as possible. As soon as the 10 minutes was up, the phone in our room started ringing persistently, but thankfully we were on our way out by then so I did not answer - I would not have relished another ticking off! After paying up we left our cars in the car park for the rest of the day to make the most of our time in Criccieth, which didn’t seem to be a problem.

I would consider staying again in the future because it was very clean and comfortable, whereas a lot of the other guesthouses look pretty run-down – I would just watch out for the check-out time!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends