“Pleasantly suprised!”
Review of George IV Hotel

George IV Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Criccieth
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding close by. We weren't expecting much after reading some of the earlier reviews however were pleasantly suprised. The staff were all very friendly and even gave my husband a lift to collect his car the following day. The breakfast was adequate, warm and served quickly, however it was very apparent that the hotel catered for the coach trip market as the breakfast room was full of the more mature of us! The hotel is vast and all the areas were although dated in some places, immaculately clean. The room itself was basic and overlooked another room and drainpipes, however yet again it was very clean and the showed was excellent. I felt a sort of warmth towards this hotel and felt all there were trying hard to make it the best it could be.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Izzywizzyboo

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We had a great holiday and were very impressed. with the standard of the whole hotel. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Sitting rooms very comfortable and plenty of room. We went with Alfa and was one of the best short breaks we ever had.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sheila E
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Things seemed to have changed a lot here over the last few months, so I think you can safely ignore any ‘old’ reviews. The hotel has been/is being refurbished, and things are definitely improving from what they once were.

I had a very enjoyable stay here with a coach party from Northumberland. My room (129) was spotlessly clean, and the bed was comfy. My en-suite had a lovely walk in shower cubicle, too.
There was no view from my room, but I didn’t need one – I was out every day. The room was at the end of the corridor, and quiet (apart from one night when I was woken up by what sounded like a gas leak, but was, in fact, the plumbing! Someone in a room above me must have flushed the loo. It scared the life out of me for a few minutes!)

We were told what time we would have our meals (for me: breakfast at 8.20am, evening meal at 6.20pm), but this staggering of the meal times worked (and the times suited me just fine) I am sure that if anyone wants to eat at a different time, it will not be a problem. Just ask!

All staff were very friendly and helpful. A special mention here for our waitress Bistra from Bulgaria, who anticipated my every need, and always had a smile for us. I thought that the food was good, and there was plenty of variety.

Every evening there was bingo (I gave it a miss) and a quiz (which I enjoyed). It’s what older people do when they are on holiday, so don’t knock it!

Seriously, I would have no hesitation in coming to stay here again, in a group or on my own.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank NUTMEG52
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This hotel is in a old town with an older client. Understand that the coach market will like consistency and regimentation but forcing all to eat between very limited hours and offering zero choice in the restaurant is, depending on your age and views, nostalgic or simply dud service. The hotel has made an effort in modernising the rooms that are serviceable without being inspired in any way (Where are you Alex Polizi!!) but the room we had a view of the wall next door and the drain at the back - despite the fact the hotel couldn't have been more than 1/3 full (generous estimate BTW). Look, it's in a C19th seaside resort in Wales - suspend all expectations and you won't be disappointed but five star it is not...

Room Tip: As for a room facing the outside of the hotel and preferably facing the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank UKviaAus
Reviewed 4 September 2012

On arriving at the George IV we were allocated room 102.It was at the back of the hotel . As soon as we walked in my wife was adamant that she could not stay in this room. It was small , dark and dingy and there was the continuous noise from the kitchen extractor fans. I must say that when we complained to reception the staff were very helpful. Within an hour or two they invited us to look at another room (room 302).This room was much better.The only criticism was that due to the unusual shape of the room it was on the dark side but this we could put up with.The room was larger and afforded us a side view of the sea.Another big plus was that the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept in.The staff at the hotel were excellent . Friendly efficient and obliging .The food was also very good . Although it was a pleasant enough stay we would not return as there was not much to see or do in Criccieth .

Room Tip: The room we were first given(room 102) badly needs renovating. Upper rooms appear to be better.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ron S
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Went Wednesday till Sunday with Alfa in August this year.Had a lovely spacious room on the 2nd floor,newly refurbished to a high standard with a large bathroom and very large walk in shower. The food was good with friendly waitress, forgot to request a table for two when booking so had to share with another couple who turned out to be very nice & friendly ( could easliy have been different ) All the staff, mostly East European were excellent.Take note when returning home we had a stop for 3 hours in Llangollen then a further hour plus at the interchange waiting for our feeder coach home which was coming from Eastbourne hence the wait..We went to Torquay in March this year so not much waiting around due to the distance.. can,t fault the Alfa stAff at the interchange or the drivers who are all friendly & professional..Would use Alfa again

Room Tip: Can,t use your elderly bus pass in Wales but you can get a concessionary day ticket for £3.50 per da...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank tez_kelly
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We have been on quite a lot of coach tours with both Alfa and other companies and this hotel must surely rate as one of the best. We had a large room on the first floor at the front of the hotel with a lovely bay window and, although we could not see the castle (we had not paid the supplement!) we had a side view of the beach and the hills beyond. The bathroom was huge with just about the most powerful shower we have ever used. The food was excellent with larger portions than we have often encountered and the entertainment was first rate. There was a quiz every night which was great fun and then bingo with a hilarious caller (thank you, Parman, we have never enjoyed bingo so much!!). The singers actually encouraged us to dance and, although, because of the refurbishment the restaurant was doubling as an entertainment room, this in no way spoiled our pleasure. However, we are looking forward to returning once the new ballroom has been completed.

Most importantly, what really makes this hotel superb is the staff; the manager, the ladies on reception, Parman who was in charge of the bar as well as being the bingo caller, our lovely waitress, Danny - all of them wonderful people who could not do enough for us. This was highlighted on the last couple of days of our holiday as my husband had a fall on a riverside path whilst walking on a free day. He broke his arm quite badly and had to be taken to hospital 40 miles away in Bangor, operated on and kept overnight. The kindness shown to us was outstanding. Although this is a review of the hotel, I must mention our driver, Paul from Grayway coaches, who looked after Mike, making sure he was comfortable on the return journey. We will certainly go back - after all we have two days of holiday still to do!!

Room Tip: Any room on the front of the hotel would be good - those on the second and third floors have the bes...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MarianVaughn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to George IV Hotel? Share your experiences!