“Cool, castle-like hotel. Not too expensive.”
Review of George IV Hotel

George IV Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Criccieth
Stathelle, Telemark, Norway
“Cool, castle-like hotel. Not too expensive.”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Came in the middle of the night (3:00AM), but the portier was nice and leet em in like it was nothing. Sadly, checkout-time was 10 AM, and I was hoping to stay a little bit longer, but ok.. Didn't have time for any breakfeast. Mind you aswll, this hotel has table-spot-system at breakfast. You have a table number for an hour, i.e. from 9:00 to 10:00. I did not catch that. Didn't matter. Was busy sleeping. The bed was comfy, and the room was fresh.
Not too much paarking outside, but they might have more somewhere else..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Glenn E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I booked this hotel for a weekend stay on the 19th of April for me, wife and daughter, we stayed in room 112. On arrival my wife asked how to work the lift so I could get into the reception area (because I use a wheelchair) only to be told it's not working, not a problem the receptionist says, you can push him uo the hill and we can let HIM in the side door. Not to be put off by this we try and make the most of our weekend. The room itself was dirty, wallpaper hanging off also our view was looking straight into someone elses room, so we had to keep the curtains closed most times or else you would feel that you were sharing rooms you are that close. We went out at the evenings to vist our family that live in this beautiful town (stayed out till midnight) could not get back into the hotel at this time for 10-15 mins because the doors locked and you have to wait for the night staff to let you back in. The worst bit about this place was that at 5 am there was a horrible banging noise, the pipes started to rattle and tap for a hour or so (no sleep after this starts). I hope you are getting the picture about this place!!!. When this got mentioned to the staff, your answer is sorry about that. I never complain about much but this place was a joke and since me and my family have got home (shatterd) I've rang & emailed the hotel and still had no response. PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank dale a
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

On arriving we was hit with a bad smell like drains. This put us off eating at the hotel, it felt like we had walked into a home for the elderly, Queen Anne chairs everywhere, in sitting room we noticed some wallpaper coming away with damp around the window area.
Staff are friendly, room was very clean but small, bathroom was nice, the bed was so uncomfortable we struggled to sleep, music on the Friday night was so loud it felt like it was in our room, we had gone for a quiet relaxing weekend. Looking out of the window we had asked for a view & got to look at a part of the hotel in disrepair damp walls will upload pic of our view. We went to bed on the second night but just couldn't settle. The room was very dark during the day as the wall we were looking at blocked the light. We wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Jjrober
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

On a recent tour of North Wales I used the George iv hotel as a base. It is Ideal for visiting places like Portmadoc, Caernarvon, the Isle of Anglesey and many more places. It is an old style building but very pleasant. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. The whole atmosphere of the place was very good. It was very clean and the rooms very nice. The food was excellent. I would recommend a stay at the George iv hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank bigjohn2_uk
bolton
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed at the hotel on an Alfa tour for five days. Our room was at the front of the hotel with a view of the castle. The room was spacious and the bathroom excellent. The room was spotless and the towels were changed every day.

The food was very good in the restaurant and the service was excellent. All the staff were very nice and friendly most of them were eastern european. Nothing was to much trouble for them and they were very obliging if you wanted to alter something on the menu. The entertainment was ok but a lot of guests dont seem to stay down at night to see it.

We would have no problem in recommending this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank gordann
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed at George IV for two day with my little ones. I intended to stay only for one night, but stayed for another night as the experience so nice. The management seems to be so friendly. The room in which we were in so good and comfortable. Nice to see a new wing added to the hotel, well decorated. As I wanted to leave early, the management provided us with packed lunches and a small gift for the kids. Thanks to the manager and the staff. I will visit George IV in the future.

Room Tip: There is new wing added to the Hotel with brand new rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank HENRY J
Birmingham UK
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Well off on an ALFA tour to this hotel, they own it, and having paid £149 for travel,trips out,porterage and most meals and entertainment did I get value. Yes I did. Well appointed rooms,however initially we were very disappointed with the midget TV ( 14") in such a big room. We paid extra for a Castle view and we did have a view but some of the rooms were better than ours, however in old hotels it is not easy to have all rooms the same.
Meals were hot and tasty and a very varied menue. I really enjoyed the Hamm and Eggs for breakfast. Service varied a bit but I think they had lost a staff member during our stay so that may have a bearing.
New lift and renovated rooms seem to move this hotel up a notch. Entertainment was varied and in the most part enjoyable and , of course, included in the cost.
Staff were all friendly and this made a big difference to our stay. It costs nothing to have a smile and joke.
Well situated for a Scenic stay.
Just down the road towards the Station there was a very friendly pub called the Castle, well worth a stop for a bit of liquid enjoyment.
Overall excellent value for money and would go back

Room Tip: Just ask for a renovated room, although I susepct they will all be by next year
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank rdwooty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
The Moelwyn
The Moelwyn
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel

Been to George IV Hotel? Share your experiences!