“Walking Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Walking Holiday”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have just spent 5 days, 4 nights at The Lion with a group, 26, walking friends and we were looked after very well. The choices at breakfast catered for a hard day on the hills and the evening meals replenished the used calories. Good choice of 3 course menu. I shared a twin room and we were very comfortable. The bedroom furniture was old fashioned but full of hanging space and drawers and our beds were new modern ones and the bathroom was a modern one with a wonderful shower

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
pembrokeshire
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The hotel is in a good location and our room - we were in the annex at the back- had a nice view towards the castle. However, the first room we were given the keys to had had the bed/towels changed but no other cleaning done. The carpet was covered with dog hairs and biscuits and the bathroom was dirty. We went back to reception (I've never had to do this before) and asked for another room or that ours be cleaned. The lady at reception was pleasant but didn't come to see the room or to check that the next room she gave us was ok. The next room was cleaner (a bit) but was shabby and dated. The washand basin had a big chunk out of it that had been mended by someone with worse DIY skills than me! As other reviewers have noted, you can't drink the water as it's not mains fed. This, together with the overall standard of cleanilness didn't make us feel like eating there! We enjoyed an evening in the pubs - Bryn Hir, Y Castell and Prince of Wales all friendly and welcoming. Good bar meal at the Prince of Wales and breakfast from the Station Bakery. ( we could smell the bread baking on our way home the previous evening) So we enjoyed a night in Cricieth but wouldn't recommend The Lion Hotel.

2 Thank PembrokeshireBel
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Scalding hot water in hand basin and shower, no warning notice.
Mattresses uncomfortable, sleepless nights.
No "Good old days" theme in poor entertainment.
Welsh Heritage Steam Railway, Porthmadoc a disaster and trip tp to Home front museum
Llandudno a disappointment.

Room Tip: Nothing to add
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I booked the 'Murder Mystery' weekend package back in August as an anniversary present for my partner. I booked on a whim & then proceeded to check TripAdvisor as to the reviews for this hotel. I nearly cancelled!

As I had paid a non-refundable deposit I thought 'S*d it!' & we went anyway!

Yes, the hotel is dated. Yes, it could do with a major refurbishment. Yes, it is a bit stuck in times past especially with it's catering.......... but..... I really think it adds to the charm!! Let's face it. I didn't pay a fortune for the package I booked. £99 per person, dinner, bed & breakfast for the whole weekend. The 'Murder Mystery' part of the weekend was delightful, I really didn't know what to expect - but the actuality of the event was entertaining, well run, an enormous amount of fun & my thanks & kudos to the 'actors' that hosted it.
The foyer is a dream - just my style, over stuffed Chesterfields & 2 fireplaces, books & games, suitably decked out in Halloween attire. Our room was clean if basic, all the usual amenities TV, tea & coffee & we were even shown where the clean towels were kept by the receptionist. The staff friendly, hospitable & accommodating with our finicky dining requirements (set menus but as Pescatarian/Vegetarians they bent over backwards to assist),. The slight let down was the receptionist on checkout (a blonde lady) who could barely bother to acknowledge my existence. All other staff were great.

One thing to watch is if you try & add any drinks onto your room bill as opposed to paying at the bar then they add a 10% surcharge to your bill. Ridiculous.

I think money should be spent on the bathrooms (very 80's) and on bringing the menu's up to today's standard of dining (as a local chef I could spot the 'frozen ready meals' a mile off even though 'freshly prepared food' is advertised!) and the grapes on the cheese board were so past their best they were practically raisins!. I will visit again, if just for the comedy & the adult 'panto' of the murder mystery weekend. We stayed in room 4 - D,B&B rate £99 pp, wine apx £10.00 per bottle (Echo Falls & they ran out of white on the Friday night!) Total spend £286.00 inc drinks, room & tip (2 persons)

2 Thank Darkcompass
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel with a coach group 17-21 October. The staff were extremely friendly and hard working making us feel it was a pleasure to have us. There was a second coach party there also, but this in no way caused any difficulties for the staff - having to deal with so many people needing food at the same time at dinner and breakfast.
Food was plentiful, hot and there was a very good choice. It was also an excellent quality and served quickly.

We had a room on the second floor with a view over to the sea. The room was comfortable - and we were very happy with it.

If you want the sterility and uniformity of a major chain you may be disappointed. But if you want friendliness, good food and a wonderful location come and stay at The Lion - it is a wonderful little town. Would I return - ABSOLUTELY1

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My husband and I stayed in a family room in the 'cottage' section which sounds grander than it is in reality. The family room has a double bed and one single bed. The room was ok for just the 2 of us but not sure how you could call this a family room as it must be for a very small family.! Nice view from the window of the castle and good parking outside the room. The best thing about this room was how quiet it was, there was some residue sound from the main hotel but not too intrusive. The room was clean and the bed comfortable, the decor and furnishings were traditional and a bit dated.Bathroom was a good size with shower over bath. A very small shelf area for tea and coffee making. The main problem is with the hotel itself. The lounge and restaurant are very dated with scary bright pink flower bedroom wallpaper and lampshades to match. It was like walking into Fawlty Towers (there is a waiter who looks just like ,Manuel!) It clearly serves an older customer who probably like this sort of thing. My concerns were justified when I heard Val Doonican playing during breakfast. The breakfast was poor. A hot self serve buffet and sadly the cooked breakfast was very overcooked. The scrambled eggs looked like rubber and the fried eggs were swimming in a lake of oil. The sausages were thin and cheap looking and tasting.What looked like tinned grapefruit and orange pieces and a sad looking 'fresh' fruit bowl. Staff were going through the motions looking like they would rather be somewhere else.Heard the 'Chef' shout at the waiter when we requested more eggs and sausages after they had run out.!

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Recently had a long week-end (Friday night to Monday) at the Lion. My husband and I really enjoyed the experience. The hotel, particularly our bedroom (room 9) was spotlessly clean. The food was plentiful and enjoyable, with a wide choice at both breakfast (hot and cold, served buffet style) and dinner, plated but again with a wide choice of menu. The staff were friendly and helpful. Even Ambrose, the hotel cat, was very amiable and up for a cuddle when he was around. This hotel is hard to fault and we would highly recommend it. We are looking forward to our next stay at the Lion.

Room Tip: Room 9 was excellent
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!