“Clean,Friendly and Ideally placed in Pretty Criccieth” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 22 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Clean,Friendly and Ideally placed in Pretty Criccieth”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My Partner and I stayed at The Lion hotel as we were paying a visit to our lodge(out of season) at the Hafan y Mor site.I picked this hotel as I found a deal on the Booking.com website for £30 per night per couple without breakfast and thought this was quite reasonable.The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of Criccieth so you can't miss it and everything is on hand nearby.
On arrival we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist and we were asked it we required breakfast in the morning at £10pp which we thought about and declined due to the price!
We were directed to our Room, number 12 on the first floor and were surprised to find it was a disabled room but it was clean,warm and fresh so we settled in quite nicely.
The hotel in parts is quite old fashioned and old worldy but good value for money if you get a deal.
We would stay here again in the future as we felt so comfortable,relaxed and made to feel welcome which indicates great customer service and encourages me to go back!
If you are visiting North Wales do visit Criccieth and it's castle as it is one of the prettiest seaside town's I know,even out of season,that's one of the reason's why we bought a holiday home as we can't stay away :)

Room Tip: Pay more if you want a better standard of room and check websites for deals.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charl26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
WILTSHIRE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This may be a great hotel for the grey pound Tourist on a coach trip but if you are a business traveller then give it a miss!

I was booked into the hotel by a colleague as I was attending a nearby exhibition.

On arrival I was given a key for the Annexe nearby.

Also told that breakfast would be served from 8:15 to 9:30am........what????!!! No use to me as I needed to be at my nearby destination at 8am......seriously.. what hotel starts serving breakfast at 8:15am?????...joke.

The nice flat screen telly and modern stripy cushions ruined my 80's theme room but I couldn't hang around long to admire the fine detail as it was too cold and no matter what I did to the radiator nothing happened....much the same in my fellow travellers rooms.

So.......retire to the bar for a few drinks to lift my flagging spirits? Oh no.....what's this? 10% surcharge for charging drinks to your room number.....what!!??? You are having a laugh!!! However the po faced bar manager was not having a laugh....or even a smile....in the end I was glad as I may of been charged for it!

7:30am the next day i was in the shower and called by reception to inform me that the hotel was serving breakfast from 7:30am (I had cancelled it). Too late notice for me and breakfast was skipped...

Cancelling of the breakfast was a futile exercise as we were charged for it anyway.....

No wifi in the rooms? Hotel missing a trick In the 21st century to cash in on the usual overpriced tariffs....wifi only near reception but I didn't fancy setting up my laptop there, so work had to wait.

Reception were full of: 'I don't know why that happened', 'we don't have a call for that sort of thing' and 'on your next visit'. There will never be another visit!

Overall poor and that's my rating.....

Overall a dreadful experience

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank deeperblue82
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We booked a Murder mystery 3 day 2 nights, £105 we arrived about 3.30pm and given keys to our room. MY FAULT I forgot to say my wife is disabled and would be using a wheel chair, so our 1st room was not really suited; this room was clean and tidy if but a tad dark. On contacting the receptionist she moved us to a more suited room accessed by the lift, straight away, with no problem. This room had a shower and looked like it had been redecorated with in the last year or so, again Clean and tidy.
Food basic coach tour but hot and well-presented with a choice of starters, main and pud’s. Breakfast full English my only complaint it was severed on side plate which was a bit small but if you wished you could go back for more.

The toilet is a Sani- flow Macerator Toilet system, and can be a little noisy at night so don’t flush until morning so it doesn’t wake the next room up.

Staff were great Murder mystery was fun we had a pleasant stay here it would be great when the weather is hot and sunny, beach on your door step, handy for great days out.
I have read the negative reports on here and think what were they expecting The Savoury or Ritz.
I’m looking forward in coming back soon.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve Q
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We have been going on murder.mysteries for 6 years now, with increasing numbers year on year as it is so good.

This hotel has a homely, laid-back feel about it. The rooms are very good, especially for a hotel of this age. They are constantly being updated, althought the new toilet system is noisy in some. The reception lounge is extremely comfortable for a quiet drink/food, while you can elect for a separate bar area if you need more atmosphere or TV.

The food is excellent and the staff are brilliant, always welcoming and friendly. We love this hotel.

If you haven't been on a murder,mystery trip before, try it here.

Room Tip: All are good that I have been in, although I have never been in the annexe.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We visited the Lion Hote Feb 2012l for a Murder Mystery Weekend.
The rooms were very clean and some had recently been refurbished. Staff were very friendly and the food was good.
The actors were brilliant on this Wild West themed event.
Can thoroughly recommend this hotel. Close to the beach and small shops and well placed for visiting Caernarvon Port Meirion Betws y Coed and Anglesey.
Well worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank YorkshireBlade_9
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Upon reading various Reviews on this site we had a few misgivings about booking to stay here. Comments about the annex in particular caused some anxiety. However, the offer of £30 per night, for a double room, room only, with a free bottle of wine included in the price, via Bookings.com, proved too tempting to miss.

The hotel is undeniably a bit old-fashioned in its appearance, both inside and out. We had a room, Room 19, in the main hotel. The room had recently been renovated. We were pleasantly surprised. There was a completely new bathroom. The room itself was spacious, with tasteful decor and bedding. The bed was comfy and we slept like logs. There was a flat screen T.V. as well. Tea and coffee making facilities were well stocked, and there was a large kettle and a teapot. The one and only drawback was that the radiators could have been warmer. I mentioned this to the manageress who explained that the central heating was being modernised.

The Lion Hotel is obviously undergoing a progressive re-vamp, and we could smell the fresh paint. The staff, the manageress, and even the cat were all friendly. Even the complimentary bottle of house red was Chilean and drinkable.

A previous contributor recommended the Station Bakery for breakfast. I went on reconnaisance, and all they had on offer was a bacon sandwich for breakfast, and the bacon was cold and congealed on the counter. We decided to pay an extra £10 a head for breakfast at the Lion. We were not disappointed. There was a choice of cereals, fruit juice and a full cooked breakfast (including some sauteed new potatoes- a great addition to the usual ingredients). £50, B&B at the Lion was great value, and we recommend others to go, especially at a bargain price. At low season, the normal price is £38.50 pp, Bed and Breakfast, which is reasonable.

Room Tip: Room 19 was perfect for us.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Idler
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We were part of a party of 26. We were well looked after. The food was good and the drinks very reasonably priced. Kitty and the others looked after us well in the dining room. It would have helped if every member of staff had a name tag. The toilet flushing system is noisy, but it didn't distract from our enjoyment. May we thank personally the person who took the time to organize the treasure trail. Due to the poor weather it wasn't taken up by many. But it obviously had quite a bit of work put into it. Our team, got rather wet (as did the question sheet), but we had a lot of fun working off the Christmas food. Well done The Lion and your wonderful staff.

Room Tip: I managed to get WiFi on a second floor room. Though some people didn't. It is available in the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnnePaulCheshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog
George IV Hotel
George IV Hotel
#4 of 6 in Criccieth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!