“Wonderful”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Had a long weekend away on coach trip with all the family food excellent, nothing to much trouble will definitely visit again, thank you.

Room Tip: We had top room 38 it contained 2 bedrooms which was fab sea view and could just see castle
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Dawn B

Reviewed 17 March 2012

The lion hotel is situated in the heart of the small picturesque town of Criccieth. We stayed as part of a coach tour group Monday to Friday. The staff gave us a warm welcome, and all were helpful and polite throughout our stay. We were on a half board basis, breakfast was a buffet with a wide choice of cold and hot food. Dinner was always well presented and a varied menu. In the evening we were entertained by a singer or musician all of whom were enjoyable. Had we not wished to partake of the caberet a large comfortable lounge is available with free WiFi. The bar which. Is open to non residents, seemed well stocked. The location is hilly, but close to both rail and bus network. The beach is a short walk away and the headland boasts the ruins of a castle from which there are spectacular views over the bays.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Marvinandroid
Reviewed 16 March 2012

A very friendly hotel with very comfortable beds and good home cooked food and an excellent wine. The décor could do with a review - pink does not work. The hotel is well situated in a quiet location with easy access to Criccieth and the surrounding areas. The hotel takes in coach parties, two of which were there on our second night. We were apprehensive but ended up having a very enjoyable evening listening to their singer in a themed night of entertainment.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex across the car park are very quiet and easily accessible at ground floor level an...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The reviews here are very mixed but I can only recount my own experience which was OK to be honest. I only paid £30 for 'room only' (one night stay) through Booking.com and that included a bottle of wine.
Reception was pleasant and my room was on the upper floor of the main building overlooking the castle. The room was a bit of a mixture with very good bathroom, comfortable bed with fresh linen and flat screen TV. Plenty of biscuits and drinks on the tray and no shortage of toiletries in the bathroom.
The rest of the room though was dated and in need of freshening up. Soundproofing was poor and the single glazed window was in need of replacement.
This is not a negative review. Just an honest critique. I believe the owner is doing a good job of phased refurbishment which in this financial climate cannot be easy.
I would like to highlight the excellent bar area. The staff were very helpful and the steak meal we ordered was well cooked and reasonably priced.
Criccieth is a lovely part of Wales and for the price I paid the hotel was fine.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank MerciaUk
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My Partner and I stayed at The Lion hotel as we were paying a visit to our lodge(out of season) at the Hafan y Mor site.I picked this hotel as I found a deal on the Booking.com website for £30 per night per couple without breakfast and thought this was quite reasonable.The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of Criccieth so you can't miss it and everything is on hand nearby.
On arrival we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist and we were asked it we required breakfast in the morning at £10pp which we thought about and declined due to the price!
We were directed to our Room, number 12 on the first floor and were surprised to find it was a disabled room but it was clean,warm and fresh so we settled in quite nicely.
The hotel in parts is quite old fashioned and old worldy but good value for money if you get a deal.
We would stay here again in the future as we felt so comfortable,relaxed and made to feel welcome which indicates great customer service and encourages me to go back!
If you are visiting North Wales do visit Criccieth and it's castle as it is one of the prettiest seaside town's I know,even out of season,that's one of the reason's why we bought a holiday home as we can't stay away :)

Room Tip: Pay more if you want a better standard of room and check websites for deals.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charl26
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This may be a great hotel for the grey pound Tourist on a coach trip but if you are a business traveller then give it a miss!

I was booked into the hotel by a colleague as I was attending a nearby exhibition.

On arrival I was given a key for the Annexe nearby.

Also told that breakfast would be served from 8:15 to 9:30am........what????!!! No use to me as I needed to be at my nearby destination at 8am......seriously.. what hotel starts serving breakfast at 8:15am?????...joke.

The nice flat screen telly and modern stripy cushions ruined my 80's theme room but I couldn't hang around long to admire the fine detail as it was too cold and no matter what I did to the radiator nothing happened....much the same in my fellow travellers rooms.

So.......retire to the bar for a few drinks to lift my flagging spirits? Oh no.....what's this? 10% surcharge for charging drinks to your room number.....what!!??? You are having a laugh!!! However the po faced bar manager was not having a laugh....or even a smile....in the end I was glad as I may of been charged for it!

7:30am the next day i was in the shower and called by reception to inform me that the hotel was serving breakfast from 7:30am (I had cancelled it). Too late notice for me and breakfast was skipped...

Cancelling of the breakfast was a futile exercise as we were charged for it anyway.....

No wifi in the rooms? Hotel missing a trick In the 21st century to cash in on the usual overpriced tariffs....wifi only near reception but I didn't fancy setting up my laptop there, so work had to wait.

Reception were full of: 'I don't know why that happened', 'we don't have a call for that sort of thing' and 'on your next visit'. There will never be another visit!

Overall poor and that's my rating.....

Overall a dreadful experience

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank deeperblue82
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We booked a Murder mystery 3 day 2 nights, £105 we arrived about 3.30pm and given keys to our room. MY FAULT I forgot to say my wife is disabled and would be using a wheel chair, so our 1st room was not really suited; this room was clean and tidy if but a tad dark. On contacting the receptionist she moved us to a more suited room accessed by the lift, straight away, with no problem. This room had a shower and looked like it had been redecorated with in the last year or so, again Clean and tidy.
Food basic coach tour but hot and well-presented with a choice of starters, main and pud’s. Breakfast full English my only complaint it was severed on side plate which was a bit small but if you wished you could go back for more.

The toilet is a Sani- flow Macerator Toilet system, and can be a little noisy at night so don’t flush until morning so it doesn’t wake the next room up.

Staff were great Murder mystery was fun we had a pleasant stay here it would be great when the weather is hot and sunny, beach on your door step, handy for great days out.
I have read the negative reports on here and think what were they expecting The Savoury or Ritz.
I’m looking forward in coming back soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve Q
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#4 of 6 in Criccieth
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!