“Nice hotel for a short stay.”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Yorkshire
“Nice hotel for a short stay.”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Lovely, clean hotel, with friendly staff in a great location. Great base for exploring the beautiful north Wales. The food was fantastic. We went on bed and breakfast but stopped there one evening for our dinner, the food was brilliant. The decor in the dining room could do with improving though, way too much pink! We stopped in the out building next to the main hotel. It was very hot in the room, as it was quite small with a rather large radiator, but other than that it was clean and comfortable. Overall criccieth is very small, with nothing much there, but it is perfect if you want a quiet weekend away, and it's in a great place from which to explore other regions in north Wales.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank El1Yorkshire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Had a long weekend away on coach trip with all the family food excellent, nothing to much trouble will definitely visit again, thank you.

Room Tip: We had top room 38 it contained 2 bedrooms which was fab sea view and could just see castle
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Dawn B
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The lion hotel is situated in the heart of the small picturesque town of Criccieth. We stayed as part of a coach tour group Monday to Friday. The staff gave us a warm welcome, and all were helpful and polite throughout our stay. We were on a half board basis, breakfast was a buffet with a wide choice of cold and hot food. Dinner was always well presented and a varied menu. In the evening we were entertained by a singer or musician all of whom were enjoyable. Had we not wished to partake of the caberet a large comfortable lounge is available with free WiFi. The bar which. Is open to non residents, seemed well stocked. The location is hilly, but close to both rail and bus network. The beach is a short walk away and the headland boasts the ruins of a castle from which there are spectacular views over the bays.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Marvinandroid
Macclesfield
Reviewed 16 March 2012

A very friendly hotel with very comfortable beds and good home cooked food and an excellent wine. The décor could do with a review - pink does not work. The hotel is well situated in a quiet location with easy access to Criccieth and the surrounding areas. The hotel takes in coach parties, two of which were there on our second night. We were apprehensive but ended up having a very enjoyable evening listening to their singer in a themed night of entertainment.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex across the car park are very quiet and easily accessible at ground floor level an...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The reviews here are very mixed but I can only recount my own experience which was OK to be honest. I only paid £30 for 'room only' (one night stay) through Booking.com and that included a bottle of wine.
Reception was pleasant and my room was on the upper floor of the main building overlooking the castle. The room was a bit of a mixture with very good bathroom, comfortable bed with fresh linen and flat screen TV. Plenty of biscuits and drinks on the tray and no shortage of toiletries in the bathroom.
The rest of the room though was dated and in need of freshening up. Soundproofing was poor and the single glazed window was in need of replacement.
This is not a negative review. Just an honest critique. I believe the owner is doing a good job of phased refurbishment which in this financial climate cannot be easy.
I would like to highlight the excellent bar area. The staff were very helpful and the steak meal we ordered was well cooked and reasonably priced.
Criccieth is a lovely part of Wales and for the price I paid the hotel was fine.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank MerciaUk
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My Partner and I stayed at The Lion hotel as we were paying a visit to our lodge(out of season) at the Hafan y Mor site.I picked this hotel as I found a deal on the Booking.com website for £30 per night per couple without breakfast and thought this was quite reasonable.The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of Criccieth so you can't miss it and everything is on hand nearby.
On arrival we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist and we were asked it we required breakfast in the morning at £10pp which we thought about and declined due to the price!
We were directed to our Room, number 12 on the first floor and were surprised to find it was a disabled room but it was clean,warm and fresh so we settled in quite nicely.
The hotel in parts is quite old fashioned and old worldy but good value for money if you get a deal.
We would stay here again in the future as we felt so comfortable,relaxed and made to feel welcome which indicates great customer service and encourages me to go back!
If you are visiting North Wales do visit Criccieth and it's castle as it is one of the prettiest seaside town's I know,even out of season,that's one of the reason's why we bought a holiday home as we can't stay away :)

Room Tip: Pay more if you want a better standard of room and check websites for deals.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charl26
WILTSHIRE
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This may be a great hotel for the grey pound Tourist on a coach trip but if you are a business traveller then give it a miss!

I was booked into the hotel by a colleague as I was attending a nearby exhibition.

On arrival I was given a key for the Annexe nearby.

Also told that breakfast would be served from 8:15 to 9:30am........what????!!! No use to me as I needed to be at my nearby destination at 8am......seriously.. what hotel starts serving breakfast at 8:15am?????...joke.

The nice flat screen telly and modern stripy cushions ruined my 80's theme room but I couldn't hang around long to admire the fine detail as it was too cold and no matter what I did to the radiator nothing happened....much the same in my fellow travellers rooms.

So.......retire to the bar for a few drinks to lift my flagging spirits? Oh no.....what's this? 10% surcharge for charging drinks to your room number.....what!!??? You are having a laugh!!! However the po faced bar manager was not having a laugh....or even a smile....in the end I was glad as I may of been charged for it!

7:30am the next day i was in the shower and called by reception to inform me that the hotel was serving breakfast from 7:30am (I had cancelled it). Too late notice for me and breakfast was skipped...

Cancelling of the breakfast was a futile exercise as we were charged for it anyway.....

No wifi in the rooms? Hotel missing a trick In the 21st century to cash in on the usual overpriced tariffs....wifi only near reception but I didn't fancy setting up my laptop there, so work had to wait.

Reception were full of: 'I don't know why that happened', 'we don't have a call for that sort of thing' and 'on your next visit'. There will never be another visit!

Overall poor and that's my rating.....

Overall a dreadful experience

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank deeperblue82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!