“A Fine Stay”

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
“A Fine Stay”
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 day stay at the Lion. We booked before reading the Trip Advisor reviews, when we looked before our stay we had concerns. The reality. Yes the decor is a little tired,but this gives a warm homely ambience, it is reasonably clean and appointed. We never had any problems with noise in the room at all. The staff were all polite and helpful at all times. The breakfast was good and a good choice was available. We had dinner each night, we chose from the Al A Cart menu, all the food we had was well presented cooked and tasty at a fair price. The set price menu looked fine and had a broad selection. At the time of our stay the Hotel was full and very busy, this must have but a strain on the Hotel and staff but it was in no way transmitted to us the guest's Thank's to all for a good stay.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The Lion hotel is ok, it appeared to be clean, the staff friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was acceptable, the bed very comfortable, though the en-suite bathroom needs refurbishing, as does most of the hotel. In general the painting and decorating throughout the hotel was poor looked like a DIY job and/or done on the cheap (reminded me of my parents house 25 years ago). To be honest it what I was expecting, this hotel was fine for our golf break but I will not be taking my wife and family there!! The big disappointment for me was the breakfast....conveyor belt catering! Cheap tasteless sausages, eggs, bacon, hash browns all swimming in fat - I love my big fry but this was not appetising at all. The bar was ok but we found the local pubs much more appealing and enjoyed drinking with the locals

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MichaelyKayloveSucina
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at the Lion for a golf break taking in 3 golf courses in North Wales. The staff were all very friendly and we received a warm welcome at check in. First impressions were that the hotel was somewhat tired and in need of a facelift. Our room was fine, it was clean and reasonably comfortable and in line with our expectations though like the rest of the hotel needed a facelift. My son was also staying and the room he shared with his friend was clearly recently decorated.

The beds were comfortable though the room we were in was quite noisy with the occupant of the room above clearly an early riser!

The bar was lively with good beer. We only had breakfast there and while the restaurant decor was not to my taste it was clean and tidy, breakfast itself was a buffet with a good selection of cereals and fruit. The cooked breakfast was average, though tea and coffee was plentiful and there was an endless supply of fresh toast.

All in all it was a pretty good experience and if you are looking for a friendly hotel at a reasonable price you should consider the lion. If you want modern luxuries this is not for you.

Room Tip: ask to stay in one of their refurbished rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DaltonMikeD
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Excellent location in the centre of Criccieth, plenty of parking space, friendly staff, very good room and bathroom, excellent breakfast, great atmosphere in the bar. To be recommended. We will use again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sandalwood40
South Wales
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and booked this hotel at very short notice, We had a family room, very spacious, large bathroom, big shower, and very comfortable bed, had nice view of the Castle and sea. The staff were very very friendly, offering advice on going to Snowdon (ie take the train it's easier). The buffet breakfast was hot, with a good selection of hot food and cereals. It was an eclectic mix of styles in the lounge which added to the charm. Would defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: We had room 28 ( Family Room )
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Our group consisted of 2 adults and two children (6 and 8). We were allocated room 38 which had ajoining bedrooms and shared bathroom which was ideal for our needs. The room was clean and was maintain so thoughout our stay. The bathroom was spotless and supplied with more than enough towels for our needs.
All the staff we had contact with during our 5 nights stay were helpful and kind to the children. It was as if nothing was nothing was to much trouble for them. I even asked an old friend over to visit it us at the hotel and the staff offered several options of hospitality there could provide to make our friends visit a happy one.
The food consisted of breakfast and evening meal. The breakfast was a self service and was generously supplied with varied selection of choice. I was impressed with detail they had gone to even down to the hot plates and napkins for holding them. The evening meal had a plentiful choice of tasteful dishes and I think the chef enjoyed making the presentation of the desserts as mouth watering as he could. I fact the food was so good that I ended up inviting our friend to join us for an evening meal.
The children had the last say by asking could they come again next year. A thing I would have no hesitation in doing.

Room Tip: Ring the hotel and let them know your needs. I am sure they will help you in every way.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Geoffrey S
CallumLion, General Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and praise of our hotel. We very much appreciate that you have given your time to review us. You are correct, our staff are all very helpful and kind, of course as you mention there is no problem inviting non-resident friend over for dinner. We are thrilled your friend enjoyed his short visit to us. Thank you for your kind words regarding our food, and yes our chef (she) is very passionate about taste as well as presentation, I will pass on your kind words to her. We would very much love to welcome you back and look forward to your return next year.

Thanks again for your positive, kind words.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My Partner and I stayed at the Lion Hotel in Criccieth during July 2012, we arrived early on a Saturday and were welcomed with a choice of drink from the Bar. We ventured toward the Sea as we were too early to Check-In and were dismayed to see just how dated Criccieth has become. The main Road through the Town is dotted with expensive Restaurants and a noticeable lack of Pubs. The day we arrived was very hot leading us to seek out a Beer Garden for an Ice cold drink, after circumnavigating the whole town we ended up back at the Lion which seemed to have the only Beer Garden in Criccieth! It was quite a Sun Trap, we both got quite burnt, the need for a Gardener or at least a Grass Mower was obvious but not an issue. We Checked in at about 3pm into Room 18, very pleasant room with views across the Sea. We had our Evening Meal at the Indian Restaurant next door to the Lion, food very good, service appaling. Breakfast time brings up my main complaint about the Lion, as we entered the Breakfast room, we chose a table for 2 and sat down, we were asked to move as this was not our table, with nobody present to explain that there were pre-determined tables this just seemed bizarre. The Breakfast Menu asked us to place an order for cooked food before we browsed the Buffet area so we sat and waited, nothing. Eventually we were approached and asked if we would like a hot drink, but not any hot food. We then noticed that hot food was part of the Buffet, all very confusing. Overall though a pleasant stay, just a shame Criccieth doesnt seem to want to be a Seaside Town anymore.

Room Tip: Room 18 Superb View.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback and positive words regarding our Hotel. We very much appreciate your kind words. I would like to apologise about the confusion regarding the tables at breakfast, particularly during busy periods by organising our tables in such a way it enables us to be more organised and provide a general better service. Unfortunately there was some confusion with yourselves again do accept my apologies for this.

Thank you again for your kind words, I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!