“Just a lovely experience”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Just a lovely experience”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The Lion Hotel was just perfect for us. The décor in the lounge sitting room area gave you the feeling of being back in another time. It reflected the character of the place. Our room was great having a view of the ocean was fabulous. The Service was excellent, We came away from there feeling fortunate that we were able to stay there. Perhaps the only thing which was negative was the lift, but in the scheme of things it did it's job. Sue B

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The hotel is old and certainly needs a refurb, especially the terrible pink restaurant! The staff are friendly and very helpful. Limited parking. Garden overgrown. Great for the price and great central location to travel around.

4 Thank Jeff G
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The Lion is an old Hotel, though equipped with en-suite facilities, its interior is somewhat rambling with thin walls and noisy plumbing. The decor is also somewhat dated.
Our room was spacious with 3 chairs! Bed comfort was acceptable but not exceptional.
Nevertheless, the staff more than make up for these few inadequacies. They were universally friendly and helpful.
The restaurant is particularly to be commended. The food is excellent, served hot with very good choice. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front seem to be best. Avoid annex.
2 Thank Dot T
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

just stayed at the Lion hotel on a golfing weekend break with 6 other guys. our twin room was very nicely decorated, nice sized en-suite, with large separate shower. The hotel is well sited in the centre of the town. It has its own public bar, which was crowded on the Saturday night we were there. Good mix of families, couples and groups of guys, who were also on golfing breaks. Breakfast on sunday morning was all self-serve, and plenty to go at.

Room Tip: we were in room 9 right above the main door, with a sea view
2 Thank PhiloWarrington
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

As single traveller, I often find myself stuck in an inferior room, but the one I had at The Lion really was the worst I had ever had.
One of the other reviewers who had not been impressed with the hotel said this ' It may be a great hotel for the grey pound tourist on a coach trip ' - well, I was one of those, and , believe me, I was not impressed with this hotel in comparison to other hotels to which I have travelled on similar coach trips.
I was given my key to my room on the first floor, and when I opened the door on a sunny afternoon, I thought I had been allocated the broom cupboard. It was dark, stuffy and had a superb !! view of the kitchen roof and a large bright blue fire escape. The smell rising from the kitchen was nauseating - particularly to me as I suffer from diverticular problems and when I complained about the stuffiness, I was given a fan, as when I tried to open the heavy sash windows, the window shot down and a maintenance man had to come to lift it back up.
The bathroom was tiny and windowless and I got a splinter in my hand from the door which had obviously been recommissioned from somewhere else.
I did complain to reception and was told there was nowhere else, even though I offered to pay more for a more suitable room. I was offered the coach driver's room as a substitute ( how much had he paid for the stay, I wonder?) -but though the room was better than mine, I couldn't manage the stairs up to that room.
Although the young staff there were pleasant, someone at reception whom I think was management, was totally dismissive of my problems.
On other holidays, whenever I have had problems because of my disability, I have found staff to be most understanding and helpful. Not so in this hotel,where breakfast was like a scramble at school dinners.
Some of the other reviews seem positive and happy. I don't like being treated as a second class citizen, just because I happen to be a) with a coach party, and b) travelling on my own, so I would not advise anyone in either of these categories to expect an enjoyable stay at this second rate hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank Elinor_13
Lyneham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

37 of us had a very comfortable stay at The Lion Hotel over the weekend of 16th June. Breakfast was a feast, with all dishes being topped up regularly.
The young staff were very helpful and friendly.
Our room was very large with a double and single bed, 2 large chests of drawers, large wardrobe and settee (room 19)
I would definitely choose to stay in this hotel again.
Many thanks to the Hotel Management.

1 Thank Lynn W
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I picked this hotel for a short break with my elderly mother (I hope she doesn't read that!) I know Criccieth as my partner, me and our dog stayed there in a self catering cottage last year and it's an excellent location and a pretty little town and beach.

Overall the hotel was very good. There is on site parking, though your chances might be slim if you arrived in the evening. There is an extremely comfortable reception / lounge area, a bar, dining room and outside lawn and patio area. All the staff were extremely friendly and courteous.... including the cat that works reception! Our room was good, though maybe the decor was a little tired. Carpets were clean, good quality linen, clean white towels and a very big bathroom. For £89 a night we thought it good value.

The dining room menu was perhaps a little dated and not very adventurous. We ate in the bar and the quality was fine. Very big portions too. We were also quite impressed with the breakfast which was served buffet style. There was fresh juice, fruit, cereal, porridge. You could also help yourself to sausage, bacon, tomatoes, beans, fried and scrambled eggs. You could also order boiled or poached eggs and kippers from the kitchen. Toast and tea and coffee were served at the table.

We both really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a first floor room over looking The Green (there is a lift)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank thebearsguide
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!