“hotel slightly dated but full of character with friendly helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 22 Criccieth B&B and Inns
Chorley, United Kingdom
“hotel slightly dated but full of character with friendly helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

we stayed at this hotel recently with our 19 month old daughter and extended family. we were given a room that was slightly dated but clean and suitable to meet all our needs. unfortunately this was at the front of the hotel near the bar and made night times quite noisy although luckily this only ever went on till about midnight!i would strongly reccomend asking for a room around the back in order to avoid this.
breakfast was great and the staff were really prompt and efficient, nothing was too much trouble. the service was personalised and we all felt valued as customers staff at reception always had time for a chat. they were particularly good with our young daughter ensuring we always had a high chair at meal times and serving food from 12 till half 8 which makes life a lot easier with a young child!
we ate three evening meals in the bar and the food was EXCELLENT. it was also really good value for money and again children were welcome here. drinks were also very reasonably priced, something that is quite rare for hotels these days. as the weather was ok we spent a couple of evenings relaxing in the hotels beer garden complete with a small childrens play area. this was lovely and the garden safe and secure for our little girl to play in. criccieth itself is a stunning place that is charming and memorable and all members of iur family enjoyed their stay. there is a gorgeous traditional famil run bakery up the road and we would definitely reccomend a visit there!
all in all the lion is a warm and friendly hotel and makes an ideal place to explore north wales. the staff were exceptional and although the decor is a liitle dated we felt it added to the charm and ambiance of the hotel. we would not hesitate to stay here again and would like to thank everyone for our wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Polish first
Wednesbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

Nicely furnished, comfortable rooms, nice food and varied menu. A big group was no trouble to the Lion and there wasn't a single complaint from the group.

Very good value.

• Stayed July 2010
Lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

Very good location. Very well maintained hotel. Friendly helpful staff. Excellent food well presented, in a comfortable well decorated dining room.

• Stayed May 2010
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

The Lion is perfectly placed in Criccieth, within a stones throw of all the local pubs and restaurants, and a 2 minute walk to the beach. The staff are pleasant and friendly, and our room had the world's comfiest bed! If you're looking for an ultra modern suite and 5* concierge service etc, then this isn't really your place, but then why come to Criccieth?! The decor is outdated though, and could do with a simple modern overhaul - that would be my only real criticism of the place, after that i'd be nitpicking. I'd definitely recommend the Lion for a relaxed holiday full of excellent food, beautiful scenery & chilled out atmosphere :-)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Milan (Italy)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

We've just returned home after our Easter holidays in Wales. We've spent two wonderful days at The Lion Hotel in Criccieth and everything was fantastic : location, food, room, staff, hospitality ... and Ambrose !!!!
I can't describe in few words the magic atmosphere we found there ... just one thing ... : we really hope to come back !!!!
Thank you once again !!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
aberystwyth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

I booked this 4 day holiday for myself, husband and 18 year old daughter. I phoned and asked what was available and if I would save anything using my travel offer discount card. I was offered by the man who answered the phone (now known as the owners son) that i could have free family room (two bedrooms and shared bathroom) all I had to pay for was our dinner in the evenings using my travel offer discount costing £36.00 per person per night. (The only extra's been drinks, newspapers etc). how wrong I was to beleive that. The first night we were made to eat our so called dinner in a corner in the public bar as they did not want to open up the restaurant saying it was cold. The menu was very limited and when it arrived the vegtables were cold served in cold stainless steel bowels and very over cooked. The second night we made them open the diningroom along withother guest wishing to eat in there. Again the menu had not changed and the the veg arrived cold. The waitresses serving seemed to have very little english, although the waiter was a little more helpful. My husbands duck was so over cooked he couold not eat it, and the salmon my daughter had eating the night before was now served in a very different way than stated on the menu and was again over cooked and dry, my steak was well done not midium-rare as requested, again cold veg. By night three we became a little worried that the soup of the day was still vegtable, my husand and daughter ordered streak which were both very well done not medium and the onion rings and mushroom were impossible to eat. Our final night, still veg soup ! so tonight we ordered from the same menu with a little more care, I asked for duck and asked if it could be cooked a little less as I liked it slightly pink, hoping that things might improve I told the waiter I was in the catering business myself and was a little disppointed with the food so far, he returned from the kitchen to tell me they had run out of duck !! so back on the steak, again well and truly cooked and the onion rings if used as frisbies could have killed someone ! Breakfast on all four days was ok but limited. Our room was ok, the window would not open and no fan in the bathroom, mattress had seen better days but bedding and towels clean and fresh. Checking out, dispite using my discount travel offer card I was given a bill for just under £500, this did include one bottle of wine and a round of drinks (all other drinks paid for in cash at bar). when i asked why this was so expensive I was told that the £36 per person per day went towards breakfast and dinner not just dinner which I was told on the phone, I explained my conversation when booking and was told the man who took my booking was her son and never lied to customers and that I had got it totally wrong, that I was the first person ever in all the years of running the hotel as a family business had never received any other complaints regarding the cost or the standard of food served. Please check very carefully before booking at this hotel what you are getting for your money, but do not be put of and not go to Cricceith it is a lovely little seaside town and well worth a visit, just don't let the lion get you !

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank annieAberystwyth
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

Bedroom, bedding, pillows, curtains were all smelling of cigarette smoke! Carpet not cleaned, very dated (approx. crirc 1960) decoration and furnishings! Bathroom 1/2 inch in dust. Old p[ink sink and toilet but they didnt even match the toilet seat up (as they couldnt because it was so old) and that was white! Asked that the bathroom be cleaned properly but was still dirty when I got back that night. The bath mat was disgusting with black mould marks on it. Also there was black mold on the windows. My breakfast on my last day was cold so I took it back to the waitress. She brought another one but that was cold as well! This hotel is well dated and seems to cater more for very old people, and of course this age group dont complain. The meals were only big enough for someone with very little appetite as there were only minute portions of meat! There were a number of people complaining about the datedness of it and the uncleanliness of this hotel so how they have got any good comments I dont know!! It needs to be dragged into the 21st Century and everything in it needs to be replaced with more modern furnishings, re-decorated and cleaned thoroughly! Cant say that all the staff were nice either!! Went into the bar for a drink and there were quite a few very drunken young men swearing terribly!! I and my friend would certainly never go there again!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DREAMBABY
Serenstar22, owner at The Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
We are very sorry that you found it necessary to write such a poor review, we realise how disgruntled you must have been after being politely asked not to drink your own bottle of wine in the restaurant. The rest of your party were full of complimentary remarks about the hotel, food and service (they completed questionnaires too).
The hotel has had a new fire safety system installed which is so sensitive that cigarette smoke would trigger it. We are delighted that smoking in the bedrooms is definitely not an option.
The hotel has a lovely sociable atmosphere and we agree it is not a modern building - it actually dates back to 1721. There are a great many antiques in the building and we have tried to preserve the welcoming, homely atmosphere for which we are famous by retaining as many comfortable, traditional furnishings as possible.
After 30 years at the Lion we have implemented vast and varied changes and upgrades and continue to do so for the comfort and pleasure of all our guests. The lounge bar refurbishment was completed at the end of January. We will continue to invest in the Lion – a genuine family business.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#4 of 6 in Criccieth
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!