“Poor customer service - confusing booking system”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
England
“Poor customer service - confusing booking system”
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Be careful about their online booking system! I booked this hotel for a weekend at a reasonably good rate, which made me overlook some of the poor reviews about the outdated appearance of this hotel. I booked through the system that is directly on their own website, and received a confirmation email immediately.
However, next day I received another email from them saying that the rate on my booking confirmation was incorrect, and I was offered a rate double the one that I already paid. No apology was included. I replied objecting that according to the Sale of Goods and Services Act, they have confirmed my booking in writing via email for the agreed price, and cannot now ask for more money. After that I received an apology and reassurance that they were not trying to mislead me, and an offer of a full refund.
I believe them, and I am hoping that they will refund me, as promised. However, it is not a hotel I would ever stay in or recommend, as they don’t seem to be very organised. Surely if they make such a mistake, they should treat the problem professionally and accepted the agreed rate, rather then trying to make me pay more.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fidgetus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2010

if you are disabled and you have a carer who has to help you in every way I suggest you don,t ever go to this hotel .disabled room was very dirty and bathroom was much to small.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank rubydubes
callander
Reviewed 18 September 2010

My husband uses a wheelchair so we expect to meet problems but this was not the case at the Lion Hotel. We were comfortably accommodated close to the lift and enjoyed easy access throughout the hotel with staff always on hand to help if necessary. Our room was clean and comfortable and not at all noisy. Food was of high quality and efficiently served by pleasant staff. The hotel is centrally placed within Criccieth which is a lovely seaside town. The one downside for us was that it was not easy to push the wheelchair around the resort as it is hilly and has some cobbled pathways. This did not really matter much to us as we were on coach excursions each day but we would not wish to spend our holiday in Criccieth because of our mobility problems. However I would be glad to recommend both the resort and the hotel to able-bodied parties and families as it is a lovely resort with varied activities.

• Stayed September 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Husband and I just turned up at the Lion hoping for a room, we had first been to Glyn-y-Coed as it was top of the Tripadvisor reviews, but even though the sign said vacancies, the owner looked us up and down and said she was fully booked, I run my own travel agency and my husband is a teacher so hopefully we don't look too dodgy!!
The Lion was welcoming (the receptionist insisted that we see th eroom before booking), clean, friendly with great views and wonderful food, the price was reasonable and the location excellent, don't miss the gorgeous tea rooms and garden just to the right before yopu reach the level crossing...the Sunday was sunny and lots of families on the beach. Monday not so good, but we had a fun time looking around the castle nonetheless. We would definitely stay again and recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My partner and I booked this hotel for a weekend break. On the plus side, the staff were helpful and friendly, the bed was super-comfortable and the hotel is in a great location. On the downside, the hotel is really dated and needs a complete decor facelift. Although the bedsheets and furnishings in our room were clean and relatively modern, there was an inch thick of dust in the bathroom which kind of made me question how clean everything else was. The breakfast could be better ie portions were too small but on the whole it was ok. I also think that their tariff is a bit on the high side given that there is other accommodation in the area which is the same price or cheaper and the standards better. We booked this hotel last minute and everything booked up, hence the reason for our stay at the Lion. I appreciate that hotels like this must cost a fortune to run, but the owners really need to listen to these comments and give the place a lick of paint and a facelift as I think it would make all the difference and would probably persuade me to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jadegazelle
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2010

we stayed at this hotel recently with our 19 month old daughter and extended family. we were given a room that was slightly dated but clean and suitable to meet all our needs. unfortunately this was at the front of the hotel near the bar and made night times quite noisy although luckily this only ever went on till about midnight!i would strongly reccomend asking for a room around the back in order to avoid this.
breakfast was great and the staff were really prompt and efficient, nothing was too much trouble. the service was personalised and we all felt valued as customers staff at reception always had time for a chat. they were particularly good with our young daughter ensuring we always had a high chair at meal times and serving food from 12 till half 8 which makes life a lot easier with a young child!
we ate three evening meals in the bar and the food was EXCELLENT. it was also really good value for money and again children were welcome here. drinks were also very reasonably priced, something that is quite rare for hotels these days. as the weather was ok we spent a couple of evenings relaxing in the hotels beer garden complete with a small childrens play area. this was lovely and the garden safe and secure for our little girl to play in. criccieth itself is a stunning place that is charming and memorable and all members of iur family enjoyed their stay. there is a gorgeous traditional famil run bakery up the road and we would definitely reccomend a visit there!
all in all the lion is a warm and friendly hotel and makes an ideal place to explore north wales. the staff were exceptional and although the decor is a liitle dated we felt it added to the charm and ambiance of the hotel. we would not hesitate to stay here again and would like to thank everyone for our wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Wednesbury
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Nicely furnished, comfortable rooms, nice food and varied menu. A big group was no trouble to the Lion and there wasn't a single complaint from the group.

Very good value.

• Stayed July 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#4 of 6 in Criccieth
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!