“Lovely time had by all...”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Criccieth B&B and Inns
newport, south wales
“Lovely time had by all...”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

7 of us travelled from South Wales for the murder mystery weekend - so pleased to find the hotel has its own car park. Yes, some of the rooms were dated but all were clean and comfortable. When we asked if we could change our room for one with a bath, they could not have been more helpful - the room they gave us was spacious with a double and single bed and an L shaped 'lounge' . Good choice of meals (we opted for bed, breakfast and evening meal), there was entertainment all weekend (besides the murder mystery) and the drinks were reasonably priced (house wine £10.00 a bottle) Sandra, the owner, is lovely and has made the hotel relaxing and welcoming - even provided a needle and thread in our hour of need! All in all, excellent value for money - all 7 of us thouroughly enjoyed the stay and would have no hestiation staying there again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
lancashire
Reviewed 21 December 2010

coach tour.
Situated North Wales on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park & Lleyn Peninsula.
unspoilt resort offers,good weather,resort faces south on the North Wales Coast with a the town has a ruined castle,also good weather.
Near Portmeirion ( where The Prisoner was made well worth a visit).
Also a very good town for a base to tour North Wales ie The Little trains & Snowdonia mountain Railway, & a few more like it, & very good place for walking.

• Stayed November 2010
England
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Be careful about their online booking system! I booked this hotel for a weekend at a reasonably good rate, which made me overlook some of the poor reviews about the outdated appearance of this hotel. I booked through the system that is directly on their own website, and received a confirmation email immediately.
However, next day I received another email from them saying that the rate on my booking confirmation was incorrect, and I was offered a rate double the one that I already paid. No apology was included. I replied objecting that according to the Sale of Goods and Services Act, they have confirmed my booking in writing via email for the agreed price, and cannot now ask for more money. After that I received an apology and reassurance that they were not trying to mislead me, and an offer of a full refund.
I believe them, and I am hoping that they will refund me, as promised. However, it is not a hotel I would ever stay in or recommend, as they don’t seem to be very organised. Surely if they make such a mistake, they should treat the problem professionally and accepted the agreed rate, rather then trying to make me pay more.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fidgetus
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2010

if you are disabled and you have a carer who has to help you in every way I suggest you don,t ever go to this hotel .disabled room was very dirty and bathroom was much to small.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank rubydubes
callander
Reviewed 18 September 2010

My husband uses a wheelchair so we expect to meet problems but this was not the case at the Lion Hotel. We were comfortably accommodated close to the lift and enjoyed easy access throughout the hotel with staff always on hand to help if necessary. Our room was clean and comfortable and not at all noisy. Food was of high quality and efficiently served by pleasant staff. The hotel is centrally placed within Criccieth which is a lovely seaside town. The one downside for us was that it was not easy to push the wheelchair around the resort as it is hilly and has some cobbled pathways. This did not really matter much to us as we were on coach excursions each day but we would not wish to spend our holiday in Criccieth because of our mobility problems. However I would be glad to recommend both the resort and the hotel to able-bodied parties and families as it is a lovely resort with varied activities.

• Stayed September 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Husband and I just turned up at the Lion hoping for a room, we had first been to Glyn-y-Coed as it was top of the Tripadvisor reviews, but even though the sign said vacancies, the owner looked us up and down and said she was fully booked, I run my own travel agency and my husband is a teacher so hopefully we don't look too dodgy!!
The Lion was welcoming (the receptionist insisted that we see th eroom before booking), clean, friendly with great views and wonderful food, the price was reasonable and the location excellent, don't miss the gorgeous tea rooms and garden just to the right before yopu reach the level crossing...the Sunday was sunny and lots of families on the beach. Monday not so good, but we had a fun time looking around the castle nonetheless. We would definitely stay again and recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My partner and I booked this hotel for a weekend break. On the plus side, the staff were helpful and friendly, the bed was super-comfortable and the hotel is in a great location. On the downside, the hotel is really dated and needs a complete decor facelift. Although the bedsheets and furnishings in our room were clean and relatively modern, there was an inch thick of dust in the bathroom which kind of made me question how clean everything else was. The breakfast could be better ie portions were too small but on the whole it was ok. I also think that their tariff is a bit on the high side given that there is other accommodation in the area which is the same price or cheaper and the standards better. We booked this hotel last minute and everything booked up, hence the reason for our stay at the Lion. I appreciate that hotels like this must cost a fortune to run, but the owners really need to listen to these comments and give the place a lick of paint and a facelift as I think it would make all the difference and would probably persuade me to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jadegazelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Caerwylan Hotel
#6 of 6 in Criccieth
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!