Caerwylan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Criccieth
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We didn't stay at the Hotel but wanted somewhere nice to celebrate my brother's 51st birthday, we stayed in Porthmadog and asked a lovely lady in one of the charity shops if she could recommend anywhere for a nice meal, she said she lived in Cricceith and recommended this Hotel. We arrived at 5.30pm and to my 82year old Father's disgust learnt that the Hotel doesn't serve food until 6.30pm, we suggested a little walk and he replied 'I've come here to eat not walk', we ignorned his comment and walked the very short distance to the Hotel, we sat outside and had drinks and admired the beautiful view, the weather was glorious and in a short time we chose from the menu, my Father commented that the only thing he liked from the menu was fish and chips, 'so i'll have to have that, again!' (my sister had spoken to the staff and they said they would have our food ready for 6.30 prompt). When we walked in the dining room we were amazed the decor was lovely and the staff very attentive, our food arrived prompt as promised, we literally had only just sat down! All our meals were beautifully presented and within a few minutes my Father commented that 'this is the best fish and chips I have ever had' we nearly fell off our chairs, it's not very often he says anything like that. As for the other meals they too were fantastic, my steak was cooked to perfection and I can honestly say "it was the best steak I had ever had" and I have had some steaks! My sister had a fish dish (whitebait etc.,) and loved it, my brother had lamb, loved it too and my Mum bless her who had been embarassed by Dad's earlier comments, really enjoyed the fish and chips too. The 3x cooked chips tasted really nice and everything went well. When we got back to the Caravan in Porthmadog my Dad wouldn't shut up about his fastastic fish and chips.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in July. The hotel has the most lovely setting overlooking the sea and the sea view rooms are worth every penny - the view is just fabulous.

We received a warm welcome on arrival and the welcome continued throughout our stay. The staff are lovely and very attentive but not in a fussy way.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night, thinking we would try somewhere different on the second but the food and service was that good that we booked the restaurant again.

For the first time in a long time, we wished we could have stayed for longer.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are just fab - worth paying the extra for
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McRodders
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I booked one night here very last minute, I provisionally booked a single room but when I got to hotel there had been a mix up with the booking so they gave me a king room for same rate, very nice of them. The room was fantastic, very spacious and very comfy & clean. The hotel is right on the sea front and has some amazing views. The service in the hotel was very good as was the breakfast. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Squawking44
Reviewed 4 July 2014

A group of seven potentially grumpy blokes - out walking during the day - stayed here for four nights. We chose to eat in the restaurant every evening. Rooms, food and above all staff friendliness were perfect for us. Cracking location, too.
Iain, Bristol

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Iain4444
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This felt like a 5 star hotel. The single room was far more spacious than any other I've slept in and was spotlessly clean. The staff were all attentive, pleasant & helpful, just really good at their jobs. I felt a valued guest all the time & never once felt awkward being on my own.

Room Tip: Just tell reservations what you'd like, that's what I did.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in the hotel for a couple of nights with our family. Recently refurbished, literally yards from the sea with views from the lounge and bar out to sea, it was perfect. We ate in the restaurant the first night and it was lovely. We chose a local restaurant the second night of which there are several, all in walking distance. The staff and management couldn't be nicer, it was simply brilliant.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, it is totally worth the money.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bert999
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We enjoyed our holiday based at the Caerwylan. The Hotel has recently been refurbished and rooms on the front have marvellous views of the bay and the local castle on the headland. Whilst there are a number of restaurants within easy walking distance, we had booked a table in the Hotel restaurant for our first night and were delighted we had done so. The hotel has a modern comfortable lounge overlooking the bay for pre-dinner drinks and we found the restaurant service friendly and efficient and the food excellent. Criccieth still has a traditional feel about it and is ideal for a family holiday, with a safe beach and rock pools to explore. There are also places such as Portmeirion, Caernarfon and Snowdonia within easy reach by car. We shall certainly look to stay here again next time we visit this area of Wales.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Criccieth
Glyn-y-Coed Hotel
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Caerwylan Hotel? Share your experiences!