“Good food, little to fault”
Review of Y Sospan Cafe

Y Sospan Cafe
Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Dolgellau
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
macclesfield
“Good food, little to fault”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We went on a bank holiday Monday night and only went as it seemed to be the only place open in town. Bizzare I thought seeing as it was a bank holiday. Saying that it wasn't busy in town.
We sat downstairs in the cafe area, which although obviously a cafe with the counter etc did have character with shelves of old books and wine bottles . Prior to the starters we were given a complimentary plate of bread stick, olives and sundried tomato's with a mayo dip, which was nice.
The starters were well presented, tasty and fresh. My wife went for a minted lamb main, while I went for the fish pie. Both were excellent, only let down a bit by the limpish side dish of veg. To finish we ordered the icecream with scottish shortbread biscuit and butterscotch sauce. The sauce came in a separate jug for pouring. All of it was superb and all homemade including it seemed the butterscotch. The strawberry icecream even had real strawberries in it! which these days seems a rarety. I think I can honestly say I've not had your bog standard three flavour icecream dessert better anywhere!
The few faults I would pick out were a slightly slow service (although the staff were very friendly) which would worry me if it was busier, the use of paper tablecloths over a nomal red cheque one, which doesn't live up to the food quality and not providing the correct cutlery for the dishes i.e. I had to use a dessert spoon for my sou . The prices were also very reasonable for the quality of food.
All in all a good meal and night out.

Cardiff
“Lovely food, rubbish service, shame we were sat in a cafe!!”
Reviewed 29 April 2010

The place as a whole was really nice, it was just a shame that we were made to sit downstairs in the 'cafe' and not upstairs where the proper restaurant was, i found it a bit stupid actually, because I went there in the day and we were permitted to sit upstairs which is a larger better decorated and more restaurant like room, but when we went in the evening we asked if we could sit upstairs and we were told we couldn't... ?! Food was overpriced in my opinion, and the alcohol was very much overpriced too, the young waitress was obviously doing her best but it was quite obvious to everyone that she hadn't recieved much training. But overall it was a nice evening,, thanks to the food quality.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not bad..”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We went on a quiet mid-week February evening...I think it was the only place to get decent food!

The food was good quality, but we were eating in the 'cafe' downstairs which isn't too cosy, I don't think they were busy enough to open the proper restaurant which I believe was upstairs.

Little bit pricy for eating in a 'nice cafe', would have prefferred to eat in a proper restaurant. The cafe chairs aren't the most comfortable, but as I said on a mid-week Feb evening there isn't a great deal of choice.

I seem to remember there was quite a few local dishes on the menu, always a plus.

Linton, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Lovely little restaurant with great cozy atmosphere. Food was good and couldv'e been better but we both probably chose the wrong things in hindsight. Would go again though

1 Thank felineluckypunk
Richmond, London
“Service problems, if there were any, have been sorted.”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Ate here in August 2009. The service was well organised and welcoming. It serves good wholesome food, and makes a good fist of being a being a bistro in a tea shop. Well selected wines (as is the case in Dolgellau generally).