“Really poor service and extremelly small portions of food (suitable perhaps for three year olds!"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Ship Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Royal Ship Hotel
Ranked #7 of 34 Dolgellau B&B and Inns
wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

I feel it only fair to inform you of our very poor experience we had following lunch at your hotel today. My husband and I arrived at noon to ask for a lunch menu. The waitress brought the menu (minus the senior citizen's one) I, after trying to catch her eye for some time - because she was talking to another person on Reception - had to leave the table to ask for this menu and then I had to ask if we could have drinks. My husband ordered the rice meal from the senior citizen's menu. I ordered the beef dinner meal after specifically asking if this came with the horseradish sauce separately and being told 'yes', asking what the vegetables were and stating I only wanted to have carrots. The meals (delivered by a different waitress) arrived extremely quickly (in my opinion too quickly to have been prepared fresh). My husband's meal was satisfactory. My meal came with mixed vegetables, two 'small' potatoes and 'swimming' in a very watery 'sauce'. I immediately told the waitress I could not eat this and asked for the menu to choose again. The waitress who took our original order came back, laughingly stating she didn't realise the sauce came on the beef, but said it was because the kitchen had no gravy to serve with the roast beef (I have never been offered a roast dinner without gravy in my life!), also I noticed this meal had two 'small' potatoes and an extremely small portion of vegetables, and again, laughingly 'sort of apologised' about the mixed vegetables mistake. I quickly chose the sausage and mashed potato. My husband finished his main meal and then I was served mine - two sausages and the equivalent of a scoop of mashed potato and spoonful of carrots - this would have been adequate for my four year old granddaughter but not an adult meal. I then spent another five minutes trying to attract the attention of a waitress to ask for mint sauce, I then waited another five minutes to receive this. The plates were removed and my husband was served his dessert. I again had to try to catch the attention of a waitress to ask for a dessert menu and when I complained that I think I should have been offered the dessert menu before my husband was served with his, the waitress who took our original order muttered as she was walking away, I 'probably' would have been offered the menu at 'some' time.

I was also disappointed with the wine I was served. I asked for a medium/dry wine and what I received was a very sweet wine. Not even a very good one.

I consider the first waitress was far less than attentive, the normal menu should have larger portions, I would not like to see a child's meal on offer at your hotel. I would appreciate your comments.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
lake district
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

lovely, large, well furnished,duel aspect room. very clean bathroom and excellent toileteries. great hospitality from check in to check out (last minute booking). very pretty building.very good breakfast selection and fast service. comfy bed.
down points... one blanket on bed, no duvet.... noisy outside till 1pm (tuesdey night)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Scotland, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

Stayed at this hotel, had stayed before, when the stay was average.

But from my experience, would advise to stay away. In a shabby room, heating not working, had to get electric heater, also only bath and water not heating.

Did not eat at hotel, although there is a cafe next to hotel, with free internet use and wireless, which I would definetly recommend for food and service.

Breakfast not to bad, but overall not a place i could recommend, particularly due to the price/

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank moon_uk_dundee
Cymru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

29th January, 2010.
Recently my husband & I visited the AA 2 star hotel, THE ROYAL SHIP in Dolgellau.
My husband had a roast beef dinner & I ordered croquette with mushrooms in cream. We had a long, uncomfortable wait for our meal and as the heating (in January) was barely on we did not remove our coats. Eventually, the food arrived. It consisted of one slice of beef (rather tough), a generous amount of gravy, one piece of very undercooked cauliflower, a small piece of broccoli & three potatoes (in their skins) which were only marginally bigger than large marbles. The other plate held a croquette with a circumference about the same as that of a fish cake but it was only half the thickness. The mushrooms in cream (a table-spoonful) had been decorated with shredded parsley. Since the second meal only covered about ¼ of a plate I waited for the rest of the food to arrive. Eventually, we asked a waitress where it was & were astonished to find there was nothing to be added. She did, however, ask if I’d like some potatoes & brought some on a small side plate – four more “marbles” with two packets of butter. I gave my husband one to stave off his hunger! Both meals were totally & utterly inadequate.
Our desserts, chocolate fudge cakes, were small but tasty, unlike the synthetic cream that went with it. The coffee was acceptable.
We will NEVER set foot in the ROYAL SHIP HOTEL again. They could teach Dick Turpin a trick or two!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Welshpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

I would like to comment on how wonderful this hotel was for our stay over the Christmas holidays. We stayed as part of a winter package that they were offering which included bed and breakfast for three nights and the meal for those days. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely friendly receptionist who severed us great home-made mould wine and Christmas biscuits, the evening meal was exceptional. Christmas Dinner was out of this world I have never had such great food in such a small place, the service was excellent and the atmosphere amazing all staff were helpful and although it was a full house, every customer was looked after. This is not the first time I have visited the hotel I was here during the summer season which was wet, but the hotel was fully booked although the service was a little slow, the place was full and was not a problem to wait with another glass of their sufficient house wine, after all the food is all freshly prepared and its not a fast food place!!!! Both times the rooms were very clean and appropriate for there use and who cares when you are surrounded with such natural beauty, there was a great view from the window of the mountains! At breakfast every morning we were greeted by the very friendly and helpful owner asking if all was ok. Well we enjoyed our stay and hope that others don't listen to the negativity on here! WE WILL BE BACK!! and for longer next time!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
N. Wales, U.K
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

We live locally and were taking my mother-in-law for Sunday lunch on her birthday, with other members of our family - 5 in all. We chose The Ship because the weather was too bad to travel anywhere else although we had our doubts from past experience. On arrival the place was not just cold but very cold- feeling the radiators we discovered they were off. It was probably the coldest day this winter so far - snow on the ground! Bad start! The waitress showed us to our table but only gave us the a la carte menu and disappeared. As I had booked for Sunday lunch I went the desk to ask for the special Sunday lunch menu and was then given it. In the meantime my father-in-law asked about the heating and the waitress pointed to a radiator as if this was an answer! My mother spent the entire meal with her coat on. The "vegetable' soup was thick green peppery sludge - all you could taste was the pepper - but it was warm and as we were all cold it warmed us up! It turned out there was a choice of bread roll but noone had asked our preferences so we just had what came. The main courses were ok - nothing but adequate - but my husband's Lamb Henri tasted like 'boil in the bag' he said. My father-in-law had to go off in search of mint sauce and horseradish before we could eat. They sent two very small dishes of vegetables - we had to ask for more - so did the people next to us! The veg was overcooked to slush and very watery. There were 8 circles of carrot between 5 of us!! Whatever you do don't have the house white - it was disgusting - not very cold and sweet. Puddings and cheese were ok but no choice of pud- only bread and butter pudding offered. The waitress knocked over my mother's wine while giving her the dessert menu but left the soaking table cloth on for the rest of the meal, didn't clear it up and didn't offer to replace the wine! We had to ask for extra serviettes.
No-one asked us if our meals were ok and no-one came to see if we wanted the bill. Everyone went out and I went to the desk where I paid the bill to a woman who didn't ask how our meal was and didn't smile once - I have rarely felt so unwelcome and had such a bad combination of food and service. Rest assured I will be spreading the word around the area and word of mouth is very powerful in this rural community.
To anyone holidaying here- my advice? - Don't go near the place - go to the Sospan opposite, or almost anywhere else instaed!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank NettieandLewey
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

After reading negative reviews I was wary of this hotel, But went for a drink and sat outside on their benches. There is a small bar area inside with newspapers to read. The communal areas were clean and service was fine. I had a meal in the evening which was good quality Seabass and vegetables. A number of people came in asking if they could have a hot drink only while waiting for nearby infrequent buses. They were welcomed which I thought was a nice touch even though they were busy. There are few places open for a hot drink in the evening nearby. The ship is in the centre so quite a focal point of Dolgellau.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolgellau
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#2 of 34 in Dolgellau
Plas Gwyn B&B & Cottage
Plas Gwyn B&B & Cottage
#3 of 34 in Dolgellau

Been to The Royal Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!