“Does what it says on the tin - but the staff made that extra difference”

The Royal Ship Hotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Dolgellau B&B and Inns
west midlands, england
“Does what it says on the tin - but the staff made that extra difference”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Superbly located in a lovely town short drives from several beach locations, mountains, walks etc.
The hotel was a very good 2star clean, good size rooms, decent food, very clean with all the mod cons you need for a 1 or 2 night stay.
The staff were excellent, one member of our group was disabled and although not designed to cope with these guests every member of staff went out of their way to help us and make us comfortable - I cannot praise the staff enough - level of service way above its star rating.
Our disabled group member was so happy and impressed with the service he booked another night along with a couple more of our group.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The only plus for this hotel is the location, in a beautiful part of Wales.
The downsides are numerous. We were put in the family room which was at the very edge of the hotel, the heating did not work, there were no spare blankets so we had to use all of the spare beds blankets. The bedspreads were very dirty. The bathroom was dirty and had old bits of soap on the shower tray.
We complained and after some time were put into another room. This one had not been cleaned, the bins were still full from the previous occupants, bathroom was again very dirty. No parking available at the hotel so had to park in the public car park for which you have to pay! "Oh dear" was the only comment made by the hotel owner," that happens sometimes" Reduced parking should be made clear on their website!
Altogether a very much needed break was ruined by this hotel, will never go back or reccommend.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2010

stayed here for 1 night and found it to be very plesant and had a car park at the back for the motorbike.We ate in the resturant the same evening and the food was great we had to go for a walk to be able to breathe!! Our room was at the front of the hotel and it caused no problems at all with traffic. The staff were polite and helpful and when asked were the C.A.T. centre was we were given directions straight away.The surrounding area is beautiful and very peaceful. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
wales
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I feel it only fair to inform you of our very poor experience we had following lunch at your hotel today. My husband and I arrived at noon to ask for a lunch menu. The waitress brought the menu (minus the senior citizen's one) I, after trying to catch her eye for some time - because she was talking to another person on Reception - had to leave the table to ask for this menu and then I had to ask if we could have drinks. My husband ordered the rice meal from the senior citizen's menu. I ordered the beef dinner meal after specifically asking if this came with the horseradish sauce separately and being told 'yes', asking what the vegetables were and stating I only wanted to have carrots. The meals (delivered by a different waitress) arrived extremely quickly (in my opinion too quickly to have been prepared fresh). My husband's meal was satisfactory. My meal came with mixed vegetables, two 'small' potatoes and 'swimming' in a very watery 'sauce'. I immediately told the waitress I could not eat this and asked for the menu to choose again. The waitress who took our original order came back, laughingly stating she didn't realise the sauce came on the beef, but said it was because the kitchen had no gravy to serve with the roast beef (I have never been offered a roast dinner without gravy in my life!), also I noticed this meal had two 'small' potatoes and an extremely small portion of vegetables, and again, laughingly 'sort of apologised' about the mixed vegetables mistake. I quickly chose the sausage and mashed potato. My husband finished his main meal and then I was served mine - two sausages and the equivalent of a scoop of mashed potato and spoonful of carrots - this would have been adequate for my four year old granddaughter but not an adult meal. I then spent another five minutes trying to attract the attention of a waitress to ask for mint sauce, I then waited another five minutes to receive this. The plates were removed and my husband was served his dessert. I again had to try to catch the attention of a waitress to ask for a dessert menu and when I complained that I think I should have been offered the dessert menu before my husband was served with his, the waitress who took our original order muttered as she was walking away, I 'probably' would have been offered the menu at 'some' time.

I was also disappointed with the wine I was served. I asked for a medium/dry wine and what I received was a very sweet wine. Not even a very good one.

I consider the first waitress was far less than attentive, the normal menu should have larger portions, I would not like to see a child's meal on offer at your hotel. I would appreciate your comments.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
lake district
Reviewed 4 July 2010

lovely, large, well furnished,duel aspect room. very clean bathroom and excellent toileteries. great hospitality from check in to check out (last minute booking). very pretty building.very good breakfast selection and fast service. comfy bed.
down points... one blanket on bed, no duvet.... noisy outside till 1pm (tuesdey night)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland, UK
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Stayed at this hotel, had stayed before, when the stay was average.

But from my experience, would advise to stay away. In a shabby room, heating not working, had to get electric heater, also only bath and water not heating.

Did not eat at hotel, although there is a cafe next to hotel, with free internet use and wireless, which I would definetly recommend for food and service.

Breakfast not to bad, but overall not a place i could recommend, particularly due to the price/

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank moon_uk_dundee
Cymru
Reviewed 29 January 2010

29th January, 2010.
Recently my husband & I visited the AA 2 star hotel, THE ROYAL SHIP in Dolgellau.
My husband had a roast beef dinner & I ordered croquette with mushrooms in cream. We had a long, uncomfortable wait for our meal and as the heating (in January) was barely on we did not remove our coats. Eventually, the food arrived. It consisted of one slice of beef (rather tough), a generous amount of gravy, one piece of very undercooked cauliflower, a small piece of broccoli & three potatoes (in their skins) which were only marginally bigger than large marbles. The other plate held a croquette with a circumference about the same as that of a fish cake but it was only half the thickness. The mushrooms in cream (a table-spoonful) had been decorated with shredded parsley. Since the second meal only covered about ¼ of a plate I waited for the rest of the food to arrive. Eventually, we asked a waitress where it was & were astonished to find there was nothing to be added. She did, however, ask if I’d like some potatoes & brought some on a small side plate – four more “marbles” with two packets of butter. I gave my husband one to stave off his hunger! Both meals were totally & utterly inadequate.
Our desserts, chocolate fudge cakes, were small but tasty, unlike the synthetic cream that went with it. The coffee was acceptable.
We will NEVER set foot in the ROYAL SHIP HOTEL again. They could teach Dick Turpin a trick or two!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolgellau
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool
Tan y Gader
Tan y Gader
#2 of 33 in Dolgellau

Been to The Royal Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!