“Lovely b&b”

Dolgun Uchaf B & B
Ranked #12 of 33 Dolgellau B&B and Inns
“Lovely b&b”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in march in room one, which had obviously been recently renovated. It was beautiful. Yes the landing floor was a bit uneven but we thought it added character to the place. As it was march there was only one brave camper in the field so we had no issues with noise from the campsite. We had a lovely breakfast in the morning, couldnt fault the service! We would recommend staying here, good value for money and a great spot to go exploring from.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We travelled 6 hours to this B&B for a wedding only to find on arrival our room had been let out to another customer who had come to the door of this property . We had a written confirmed booking from a major online booking company . We were then pushed into another B&B in the local town which was unsuitable. By chance when checking my credit card bill a couple of week later we saw they had taken money from my account !!!!. We are now pursuing legal action. Be on your guard .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A B
dolgun1, Owner at Dolgun Uchaf B & B, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
In answer to this review your booking was made the evening before your arrival (the wedding). Your booking came in minutes after we had received a booking for the same room. We immediately tried to contact you but you had not given the booking company your correct contact details, making it impossible for us to speak to you. We therefore contacted your booking company who also tried again to contact you but they told us to go ahead and find alternative accommodation.
As this was now the morning on your arrival choice was limited but we booked the best available bed and breakfast, which we could only secure by paying the full amount.
We are sorry that this incident happened but only followed the advice given to us, as we not ask you the customer what was best for you.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just had 3 nights B and B here. Yes it was old, but quaint, and yes again upstairs and through an old door, but as long as you remember to duck, the bedroom was lovely and clean, M&S bedding and towels and cushions and curtains. A king size bed which was very comfortable, and again I am sure it was from MS a smart metal headboard and bed end. A really smart shower and toilet room. Yes no window but so what!! The fan in there did run on quite a while, but there was a very snazzy mirror with lights all way round it that was touch controlled, so didn't need to put main fan/ light on every time you went in there.

The choice at breakfast was good and porridge was on offer so I was happy! There was also biscuits, tea and coffee selection and bottle of water everyday in room.

Plenty of room to park in the adjoining field with the campers if necessary.

Two little gripes but nothing serious. The bedroom floor creaked annoyingly in one place, and at bedtime when lights out it was lovely and dark outside but the landing light was kept on all night and it shone through the side of the bedroom door. As I hate a light room I managed to stop this by hanging dressing gown from the hinge of the door.

We really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A charming old property in the countryside with lots of walks nearby. Too far to walk to town. There is a campsite very close by and we had a problem finding a parking space when we returned from town later in the eve. Good breakfast and friendly service. Bedroom decor good, dining room dated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

At the front door are two plaques stating that the property has been rated 4 star! From the outside it looked as though we would be treated to a stay in a traditional farmhouse. Up the dimly lit stairs we were led along a narrow space and to a small door. The flooring was thick and uneven in some places old carpet sticking through from under the new. Inside is accessed by stepping down into a "Hobbit hole". Our beds (twin as we are travelling sisters) had been separated but the floor is so uneven that one of the beds is sloping down ways! The room is dull and old fashioned. No lightbulb in the lamp.
The bathroom is a cave, not wet but no window and pokey.
Once again however, the staff were excellent! Breakfast was good but no discount if you didn't want the full breakfast and were only eating continental!

Room Tip: Make sure your bed is level before getting into it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mandy S
Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had my second stay here this weekend, stayed in the bunkhouse last year, but stayed in the B&B this year! What a gem! Couldnt fault it. We had a great room, great breakfast, and to top it off it has a great location. We climbed snowdon on sat, then drove back down to dolgellau to stay before climbing cadair idris on sunday! We sat in the garden enjoying the evening sun, even though there were many people in the campsite you couldnt here them from the rooms.

Would definately stay again. Looking forward to coming up to climb cadair idris again and visit coed y brenin.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lollipop1206
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The first thing people should consider when booking this as accommodation is that there is a camp site in the "front garden" of the main building. It was very noisy day and night but the noise in the day was mostly from the owners children.

The location was perfect, views were lovely apart from the people staying in the room next to me, parking their car right outside my door (obviously not the B&B's fault) however, there is a lack of parking and I did have to park in the camp site.

Most staff were friendly but took several attempts to get my checking out details correct and made out that it was my mistake, saying I wasn't in that room when I had the key in my hand showing them - found this slightly rude!

Breakfast was lovely however I was shoehorned into a corner where I couldn't get my chair out and had to literally climb into my seat.

Finally, my room. The bathroom was lovely and modern, no problems there and the bed was comfortable, however the blinds do not cover the window and being on the ground floor I was conscience that someone could look into my room, the fridge (which I was grateful for to cool my drinks) was leaking due to the freezer department being totally frozen. When reported, I was accused of leaving it open which I did not. The room was clean apart from the box of half eaten Malteasers left in the bedside draw of a previous guest!

So if you are looking for somewhere to simply "put your head down" and have a breakfast, this place would be fine but I was left very disappointed with my stay and would not return or recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family