“Evening Meal”

Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Dolgellau
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At The Gatehouse Steakhouse we offer a unique and none pretentious Steakhouse Experience, bringing out the very best in Local Welsh Produce. All of our Meats/Poultry and Fish dishes are cooked over our state-of-the-art Chargrill for that fantastic smokey flavour. Set in a Grade 2 listed building in the Beautiful Historic Town of Dolgellau, you can experience a 'big-city restaurant' with an exceptional drinks menu, with over 15 Beers, a Great Wine Selection, Bourbons, Whisky and Cognacs dating back 25 years...and more.
Reviewed 24 November 2017

Fantastic Tomahawk steak in lovely surroudings highly recommanded. Good service and reasonable prices.

Dolan31, Owner at The Gatehouse Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Dear richarddiane2016

Thank you for your great feedback. The Tomahawk Steak is a great cut of meat. The Tenderness of a Rib Eye, which is cooked on the bone for maximum flavour intensity is hard to beat!
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Visited on Thursday 16th November for a meal. Steaks were cooked to perfection and had great service too. Would definitely recommend a visit and will do myself when in the area again.

Dear Angela L
Thank you for visiting The Gatehouse Steakhouse, im glad it proved to be a great choice. I am pleased to read that the food and service were to your liking too.
Thank you for your 5/5 review!

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We visited on Friday evening as we were staying in the area.

Staff were lovely, especially the blond lady who was constantly running up and down the stairs!

Food was hit and miss - £5.95 for cheesy garlic bread which was pretty much a cheap garlic baguette (the 2 for £1 style) with a teeny bit of cheese grilled on the top... My steak was perfect but my husband ordered his well done and it came out medium rare. Chips were also average. I was very excited that they served Cartmel sticky toffee pudding which is my favourite but was so disappointed when it came and it had been obliterated in the microwave!

Just over £80 for a bottle of wine, two starters, 2 mains and 1 desert - thankfully we got a 10% discount for staying close by!

1  Thank lyla_manchester
Dolan31, Owner at The Gatehouse Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Dear lyla_manchester
Thankyou for visiting The Gatehouse Steakhouse.

Reading negative feedback hurts, as you can imagine, and its hard to take. Im disapointed that you didnt like your garlic bread, and compared it to something you would pay 50p for. Its the first complaint of its kind, so im wondering what went wrong? maybe we didnt put enough garlic in the butter? maybe we didnt bake it long enough? the detail in your feedback doesnt tell us much so its hard to improve on what we offer, but itwasnt low on cheese. My sous chef makes many of these and they are always the same, maybe it just wasnt what you expected, im sorry you didnt like it.

The part which amazes me, is that a well done steak came our medium rare. I have no explanation for this, i struggle to get my head around how this is even possible??? what baffles me more, is that you didnt mention this when llinos and vita checked back on you?
if i went our for a meal and i was served the wrong dish, i would rather have it corrected and enjoy it than give good face to face feedback, then go home and write that it wasnt good. still though, medium rare to well done...? im struggling...if it was medium well id say human error, but it doesnt even look the same so im truly baffled.

im sorry you didnt enjoy the gatehouse steakhouse.

please write to me on johnpdolan84@gmail.com and we will be happy to sort something out to put that right.

Thanks for visiting The Gatehouse
John

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Went here for my husbands birthday meal, and as we had pre booked thought they would know it was it his birthday but nothing mentioned. The two girls serving were rushed off their feet doing drinks, serving, and although pleasant enough didn’t seem like a top class restaurant. I had medium rib eye which came bloody and red inside, not even pink so it was sent back and came back just right. My hubby had ribs which were great. For a one course meal with 2 drinks it came to close to fifty pounds. I would like to see more staff on so that they could welcome bookers with a more personal touch, maybe by name and birthdays honoured a little, even a happy Birthday would have cost nothing.

1  Thank Susieq023

Dear Susieq023
Thank you for your review, its disappointing to see 3 stars, but all feedback is useful and i would also like to give an explanation.
Firstly, we were short on staff that evening, after a late rallying attempt to get a late substitute we were let down at the last minute...our only option then is to bite the bullet and do our best. Vita and Llinos must have covered some serious ground on friday evening, but they did a great job considering we were fully booked and a team member down.
im sorry the service was not as personal as you would have hoped, i feel this is a big part of our restaurant experience, but it was just unfortunate that we were under staffed, it wasn't down to being too tight to pay the extra wage, believe me!As for the birthday, im sorry we missed that if the details were given, though there was nothing noted on the booking sheet. We had another birthday in that night and also an anniversary, and we had decorated the table, so we do make the effort, just we were either not aware or we had not noted it down, but thats unusual as 2 other tables similar were.
as for the steaks...i cooked them, and i saw them come back to the kitchen. i couldnt understand that it needed more cooking to bring it to medium as it was already medium...so i did cook it a bit extra but that took it past medium.you fail to mention that i gave a complately new garnish, full portion of fries, and added 3 large battered onion rings with the new plate though, i hope you liked them?

As for our prices, i am very comfortable knowing that what we serve for the prices is a very good deal. I have previously compared our prices to other steakhouses, including Miller and Carter, whose buying power is vastly superior to mine, who claim to use angus beef, and we are actually cheaper than them, and we still pay our 20% to the good old tax man!
We also do not portray ourselves as a top class restaurant. If we went down that line we would have 8 chefs, 8 waiting staff and your steak would have been closer to £45!

I hope this explanation is acceptable for you. i am in no way intending to be condescending or patronise you, i just feel that you had issues with certain things and that i need to explain how these things come about.

We are very grateful for your custom though, and would like to see you back at The Gatehouse in the future.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

We were visiting the area for my partners birthday to get away from the busy home and work life and found the gatehouse on trip advisor. Only staying 2 miles away the location was great with a large car park right outside. The restaurant is located through a small squeaky door which adds volumes to its charm and character. The dining rooms are well lit and inviting. We both had a three course meal and found that all course were of a generous size. We liked in particular the ethos of local produce and I really enjoyed the legend burger consisting of a lamb mince patty topped with goats cheese on a brioche bun. We liked the fact you could select a steak and then choose the size of steak you wanted also. My partner did comment that the sticky toffee pudding she had was maybe in the microwave a little too long (she’s a pastry chef) as was a little hard and chewy in places but this didn’t put us off on anyway. All of this was tied in with two excellent hosts. All in all a great meal, good staff and if we’re back in the area a return visit I’m sure.

Dear Richie1990
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad your visit to The Gatehouse Steakhouse was an enjoyable one. We try to offer a personal dining experience, so we cut most of the steaks toorder from the joint, such as rump, ribeye, fillet, sirloin, to the weight preference of our guests...some items such as fillet on the bone, tbone and tomahawk we leave to Hayden, who is the master butcher in Bala!

Im glad you mention the Dolgellau Legend burger, it really is becoming legendary...such a popular item on the menu that i dont think this can ever be removed!
As for the sticky toffee, apologies about the over heating, very frustrating to be pulled on something so simple...baking it should have been the hard part but i seem to have nailed that, silly me. please though feel free to mention this at the time and we will be more than happy to remove from the bill or serve another one... im not proud to serve that to a pastry chef, and certainly wouldnt argue with one...i tried that once when working in London and had to dodge out of the line of a flying rolling pin!

Thanks for visiting, take care
John