“Very pleasant accomodation in a central location”
Review of Y Meirionnydd

and 1 more site!
Y Meirionnydd
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dolgellau
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed at Y Meirionnydd for just one night but we stayed in their largest room - the Meirion. As the images on their website suggest, this is indeed a modern, stylish and comfortably furnished place. Given Y Meirionydd's position in the centre of town they do not have the spectacular views afforded to other properties in the area and so need to make up for this by ensuring the interior of property is easy on the eye and they have certainly acheived this.
There are some lovely touches in the room - a tray to put your muddy boots in & a little bag for the hairdryer. The feature room we stayed in had a gorgeous stone wall feature; a shaker style wooden headboard and really beautiful raw silk curtains.
Whilst not faultless, the service is attentive and the staff were helpful.
My rating really only includes my experience of the stay in the hotel including breakfast.
We (my partner and I) did eat at the hotel but found it to be rather disappointing as we felt that given the prices of the dishes we were expecting rather better quality of ingredients or execution of the dishes but in truth it was - to our minds - fairly average and if the dishes had come with a lower price tag then we would probably have had an expectation more in line with our actual experience of the food. For a similar price you can eat at the Mawddach (which is absolutely exceptional) which puts the prices at Y Meirionydd into stark relief. I note that the hotel's owner has responded to any negative comments made in the past about the food or the property and that he has said that they do use good local suppliers for their food. If this is the case then I can only say that I would perhaps try to find alternative local suppliers as the quality of ingredients doesn't shine through. In truth the evening meal probably lowered our overall experience of our stay but I know many people will stay here and not eat at the restaurant so I feel it's only fair to rate the hotel on this premise.
In a strange contrast to the evening meal, the breakfast was actually great and clearly used well sourced ingredients. A great start to the day!
In summary: In terms of it's location it's a great place to stay and the rooms and brekkie are fab but maybe find somewhere different for supper...?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dolgellauhost, Owner at Y Meirionnydd, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and especially of taking the photos of the inside of the wardrobe on your one night with us, fantastic!
With regards to your disappointment with the dinner in our restaurant it would have been helpful if you could have commented at the time about the specific ingredients you felt we could change. We really do pay attention when our guests suggest ideas or comment on specific items on the menu. We price our courses to properly reflect the ingredients used and given the generous portions we give we stand by them. I'm so pleased you felt breakfast was good and you enjoyed the room you stayed in.
We look forward in hope of welcoming you both again at Y Meirionnydd.
Marc & Nick

Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed at Y Meirionnydd for one night. The service from the gentleman that greeted us, took our bags upstairs, offered us a bigger room, served us drinks, took our dinner order, served dinner and breakfast (!) was outstanding. I can only assume he owned the hotel as I have never seen a member of staff who was so dedicated to his job. Our room (we were offered a bigger room as the first room would have been a bit cramped with the travel cot up) was nicely decorated and furnished. The only criticism I have is the low shower pressure. We took dinner at the hotel and enjoyed our meals, including impeccable service.

I would strongly recommend Y Meirionnydd.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My girlfriend and I went to 'Y Meirionnydd' on a late evening recently without a reservation but were made very welcome and shown down to the small cellar restaurant (mind your head on the low beams!) with no fuss. A choice of tempting dishes were available, I opted for the Spicy Parsnip soup to start and it was wonderfully spiced and came with some lovely bread too. Both my girlfriend and I also went with the Welsh Black steaks and I think it was one of the best steaks I ever had - delicious - and those triple cooked chips were mouthwatering.

Despite both being quite stuffed we had to try the puddings and the Banana Sponge was light, just sweet enough and accompanied with a beautiful sticky sauce.

We had very attentive service throughout and had a nice chat the staff at the end of our meal.

Would definitely recommend a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

We spent 3 nights in October as a mini break to explore Snowdonia area. It is a good base to do this for a short stay of a few nights. The B&B was great and the owners and staff all very welcoming and at the same time very relaxed with check in's, payment, etc.

We stayed in Cymer and I do think that currently the standard of the bathroom lets the room down. I have seen the previous review where the lady has rated the room very poorly and whilst the room was not quite the the standard expected from the flashy web site the hotel doesn't deserve less than very good rating. I understand there are plans to renew all the bathroom in the new year, so this will soon be addressed anyway. Regardless of the age of the bathroom it was clean with just a bit of mildew to the silicone seal.

The restaurant is very good for both dinner and breakfast and fair value for money based on the quality of ingredients and standard of meal. As a warning outside of peak season you will be limited on alternative places to eat. I rang around 3 places in the area to eat on a Wednesday night and they were all closed, so we ended up eating hotel. The next morning at breakfast we were told that they would be closed Thursday evening to let the restaurant up the road have some business!! Very considerate!

Whilst we were there I don't think the B&B was full so parking was not an issue. However there are only about 8 spaces outside the property which are public spaces restricted for an hour between 8am and 6pm so this could be an issue in peak times. The main car park is only a couple of minutes walk but you might think this is a problem if you like to be able to see your car.

With our room at the front with the window open we did find the location in the heart of the town a little noisy at pub closing time and early morning, but this isn't a fault of the B&B.

All in all this is a great B&B, with good food and friendly atmosphere. The only faulting point on the standard of Cymer room sounds like it will be addressed by early 2012.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

We arrived late afternoon without reservations and were shown 2 rooms that were available. The host/owner did not pressure us and was upfront about the hike up the stairs with suitcases, but offered to bring them up if we stayed and helped with the parking situation,
since the hotel is situated right center in the square. He also made me hot tea, which was greatly appreciated since it was chilly and I arrived with a cold. The building has been updated but it is a bit quirky- slopping floors and some obvious retrofitting, but it is charming and very relaxing. The hosts could not be nicer and they have a great restaurant in the basement, where they serve a really good breakfast. In fact, don't go anywhere else for dinner, you will not regret it. We had a wonderful night sleep in a comfortable bed, very very quiet, despite the room facing the square. I recommend a walk around the beautiful town, the streets behind the hotel, to appreciate what Dolgellau is about. I would stay here again. Thank you for being such great hosts.

Room Tip: We did not have any noise problems, despite the room facing the front of the building.
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We managed to get a 2 night reservation here at quite short notice which I was delighted about as they have been fully booked on previous visits to the area. The owner even managed to change the occupancy of the rooms so we could have the same room on both nights and avoid having to swap rooms which was also a godsend and very helpful.
Funnily enough we stayed in the same room-Cymer- as Mr and Mrs Nomad (who left a very bad review) and we found the room to be lovely! The bed, bedding and furniture were obviously of a very high standard and although the bathroom wasn't as nice, it was perfectly adequate. This has all been reflected in the cost of the room( £75 ), which I think is an absolute bargain considering it includes a lovely freshly cooked breakfast for two.

We ate in the restaurants both nights as we were so impressed by our first meal, both the quality and value for money. The atmosphere was quite relaxed and informal and the low beams and bare walls add immensely to the cosy, quirky feel of the place. Timings between the courses was perfect for us as we like to spend the evening enjoying a great meal which has been lovingly cooked, without feeling like we are being rushed in any way.

We were lucky with the parking and managed to get a space right outside but this could be a problem if they were full as you would have to park a little way away from the hotel.

All in all a great little hotel in Snowdonia which won't break the bank. We look forward to coming back and seeing the refurbishments next year.

Room Tip: Cymer good value for money but bathroom not modernised yet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Wow, thank you very much for your review, we really enjoyed reading it and passed it on to all the members of our staff. We're on schedule to open the new room by February so we will make sure we accommodate you there next time.
Kind regards,
Marc & Nick

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed two nights in this lovely B+B on our way down to Cardiff after reading the reviews and were not disappointed.
A lovely welcome from Nick with fresh coffee in the lounge got into the mood - the decor is beautiful, clean but country.. Our room on the front of the building was immaculate with a great shower with White Co gels and a proper king size bed.
We had booked a table in the restaurant (recommended) and was treated to a lovely dinner - their fillet steaks are to die for, washed down with their Rioja. Breakfast too was spot on and set us up for the long drive ahead.
The service from all the staff was professional but relaxed - yes it can be done!
We will be back next year!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolgellau
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 2 in Bala
Dolserau Hall Hotel
Dolserau Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brithdir

Been to Y Meirionnydd? Share your experiences!