“Excellent food, very friendly.”

Tafarn y Gader Tapas, Bistro & Bar
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Dolgellau
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, very friendly.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

A place we discovered last month, then went back again as we happened to be in Dolgellau again. Full on a Saturday night, with many locals eating - always a good indication.
Super food, well cooked, nicely presented and generous helpings. A decent slab of very tasty cheesecake for dessert too, often a letdown but not here.

Very friendly service, amusing to hear the waitress move to the next table and take their order in welsh!

Others have mentioned the decor. The place used (I think) to be a rather shabby bar and the tapas restaurant seems fairly new so give them time to get it sorted. Also a point to note before you go is cash only - no cards - on both times we've been there. However there are several cashpoints within 2 minutes walk so not a problem.

Summary: A gem. Go and enjoy.

• Visited June 2014

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great fusion food - made for a delightful evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Driving in from London, I was well past the expected time of arrival (and hence reservation). The waitstaff were courteous and knowledgeable.

Decor was blah, but the food more than made up for it. Good vegetarian options as well. Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2014
Truro, United Kingdom
“An unexpected shock of culinary excellence!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I'm afraid that I have to ramble a bit, so I hope you will find it is worth the read.
My wife, youngest daughter & myself had had one of those amazing days in Snowdonia. We'd been happy tourists visiting Harlech & Pothmadog & then Portmeirion. The weather was amazing & we were happily bumbling back towards where we were staying, & it was getting to that time when food becomes a priority. As we approached Dolgellau, I thought we'd go to one of the pubs & have the usual something & chips/ lasagne/steak pie etc. We parked up & decided to look at the menus of all the pubs & restaurants in the centre. It was sadly not inspiring, until we turned into Smithfield St. Now the outside may not jump up & down, & the inside may be a bit strangely basic, but, & I mean but, the menu made us sit up & take notice. We went in & were met by lovely friendly faces, given a great table & what appeared to be an amazing menu of mouthwatering Spanish dishes. We then asked who was Spanish as my wife speaks fluent spanish & I can get by very well. Anyway out off the kitchen came the wonderfully warm & talented duo of Diana & Asier, & after a few minutes of general chat & nonsense in spanish, we realised we were in the presence of people who care, who really really care. In spanish it's called 'Simpatico'. An ability to combine passion & heart into life & anything artistic, (it's a Mediterranean thing), when it is the basis of the production of food, you know you are in for something special. We put the menus down & said to Asier, "please feed us whatever you like or recommend." Well I have to say we were not disappointed, in fact we were astounded. First appeared amazing Jamon Iberico succulent sweet salty, followed by a plate each of the most amazingly fresh flavoured Crevettes just grilled with a sprinkle of salt. Classic Spanish style "Gambas a la Plancha". Reeling with exploding taste buds & a feeling of being blessed by magic in the kitchen, a plate of Croquettas Caseras with an aromatic salsa of reduced vegetables, that were better than anything I've ever had in Spain ( my wife lived there for 5 years & we have a house in Andalucia). Now it comes to a pinch me & see if I'm dreaming moment as a dish of Bacalao (salt cod) was produced that made us feel terribly spoilt. The cod was served with a sundried tomato & avocado salad, a classic potato salad & 2 crescents of boiled egg. The cod was firm, yet as you put it into your mouth, it just dissolved on your tongue in a delicate salty yumminess that has to be tasted to be believed. Combined with any or all of the other ingredients was stupendous. My daughter had a rosemary skewer of pork fillet with spanish style patatas fritas, that was really wonderful too.
Now as you can tell, we had the most amazing experience & it was a total joy to have met these passionate people , who put food so highly on their creative artistic palate. I defy anyone not to have a great experience & to come away wanting to go back. Dolgellau, you don't know what you've got. From a culinary perspective you stand in the presence of greatness. Muchissima Gracias. P.S The prices are very very good too.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank Berridale
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Don't let the decor put you off ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend come across this place walking through the town. On looking at the place we were not sure at first but so glad we did. The staff are friendly and helpful and we also met the female chef who was also very friendly and a great chef. The lunch time food was superb ( I had chicken salad plus chips and my bf had the hamburger ) and you could taste it was home made and so much better than your usual pub grub. Definately recommend and would come again.

2 Thank EddieLou83
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Tasty Spanish Cuisine in A Special Welsh Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We'd travelled from the West Midlands to Dolgellau, where we'd already reserved overnight accommodation at a local Hotel located on the outskirts of Dolgellau. Before checking into our hotel, we travelled into Dolgellau town, parked up and proceeded along Smithfield Road. It wasn't long before we were enticed by the welcoming aroma, emanating from Tafern- Y- Gader, a small, authentic Spanish Spanish Bar. We later learned from the Husband & Wife Team, Bilbao born (apologies, I've forgotten his name ( but not his food) and his lovely Paraguayan wife, Maria that they had only opened their Tapas Bar, three weeks earlier. They showed us a comprehensive and sophisticated Tapas menu. Had we been staying in Dolgellau longer , we would definitely have returned to sample their Spanish evening cuisine. But, sadly, we had already reserved an evening meal at our Hotel, hence we decided to order a light snack comprising of freshly baked baguettes filled with Tuna & deliciously tasting home made tomato sauce, accompanied by a portion of tasty tapas flavoured chips. Perfect A simple snack maybe, but, nevertheless really tasty and reasonably priced. Based on our experience, we'd definitely recommend you try out the food and enjoy the Spanish flavoured music.

Best wishes, Paul R