“Very nice stay but changes could be made”

Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ganllwyd
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely quiet hotel set in its own grounds with nice staff how ever I do have some points of what I hope will be taken as constructive .
Driving down the main road we went past the hotel entraance as it is a slightly differant name than the one we had on paperwork and I feel so many more will do the same .
The entrance to the hotel is far from inviting and needs sprushing up.
On arrival in our top floor bedroom which was quite small for the length of stay so not a lot of space to store clothes etc.
We had to ring down for shampoo etc but this did arrive very quick.
Dinner menu didnt alter at all and dining room for dinner was very cold so only ate once.
Breakfast couldnt really be faulted apart from same fruit was there 2 days on trot so not really fresh.
We felt that attention to detail is whats needed and a good clean cobwebs which are inevitable in a old home but breakfast tables with cups or teaspoons missing should be seen.
A lovely hotel but we have stayed in much better and much cleaner for a lit less money per night.

1  Thank Gazinhx4
DollyHallSnowdonia, Manager at Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

I believe I recognize you from your photo Sir, and believe you partner booked the caddair room on the top floor, and booked via Expedia, this room is one of our smallest rooms although still well above the size required for a double by the grading and Photos and full description are on our website. We would recommend that if a guest is looking for something in particular from a room they talk to staff at the hotel first. The shampoos were brought up to you your room as you say quickly, staff were still doing some rooms in the hotel and not re-stocked the supplies they carry.We do not normally change the menu every night as we have 10 mains, 6 starters and 5 deserts that reflect the season, the restaurant was being kept cool since we were experiencing a heatwave but it was warmed if guests requested it. The cups and spoons incident was on the Wednesday, I believe when the table next to you took cups and spoons from your table for coffee then sat at the table next to you and staff replaced them for you from the table next to you which we could not have foreseen happening. the fresh fruit provided at breakfast is cycled oranges apples grapefruits etc but in the heat banana's can go quite rapidly. These are all good comments for us to look at and I can understand why they were the types of issues you did not raise in person. On the entrance to the hotel we have no control over the farm at the bottom of our drive as it is a shared drive, and since guests have commented positively about the front of the hotel I assume this was your comment about the entrance. The naming of the hotel is from Expedia's website and will talk to them to get it corrected, and I am afraid I have no idea what price you paid Expedia this is at there discretion as they are not a commissioned partner they pay me a fixed amount for the room independent of what they charge you put I assume it was of the order of £46 per person which in this area is highly competitive with similar rooms in 3 star hotels marketed at over £50 I understand that value and price are separate, but today on Expedia for a spetember date we were the 8th cheapest room out of 23 locations available with only one 3 star hotel lower than us within 15 miles so I believe we still price competitively. But finaly thank you for your review some things for us to think about.

regards
Alan

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Superb location, ideally situated for the best walks in the area. Food was great, both breakfast and the evening meal. The home made yogurts with breakfast and the speciality butters with the evening meal were real treat. . Room was great with a beautiful view from each of the windows - appropriately decorated and furnished in keeping with the building. Bathroom appeared new and had a spa bath. The hall has an abundance of history attached to it. Alan is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful with his tips for walks, even providing maps and where to head for to miss the rain!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheDerns
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Just got back from a two night stay at the Dolmelynlln, nothing negative to say at all, room spotless, with tea and coffee facilities, soft fluffy towels in the bathroom and to top it all a lovely view of the gardens. Staff all very helpful and friendly and nothing a problem. Food ten out of ten, steaks cooked just how we asked, Breakfast also ten out of ten. Would we book here again, Ohhhh yare! You will too once You have stayed here.

Room Tip: We grabbed the very last room going which stated that it was quite small, We were expecting a matchb...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank norman19645
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband and was pretty disappointed. The grounds and buildng are lovely, however the decor within the hotel itself and the room were a little jaded. The smell in the hotel room was not pleasant and I was not looking forward to staying in the bed. There was also cobwebs in the bathroom and it seems that where things had been upgraded they had been done in a slapdash way. I wouldn't normally complain, however the host was also a little over friendly and was I was very cross with the way we were treated in the breakfast room. The menus were thrown at us and we were given no time to review the same as the host stood by our table waiting for us to order. I also asked for a cafetiere of coffee as many of the other tables had the same on and it was mentioned on the menu and the filter coffee was completely undrinkable and was told that the coffee was over there. I won't be visiting this hotel again, although the waterfall next door was beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SJN1984
DollyHallSnowdonia, Owner at Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear SJN1984,
Thank you for choosing the Dolmelynllyn Hall hotel and for posting your review, and notice this is your first review in 6 years and sorry it had to be a negative one . We are very happy to read that you enjoyed the grounds and hall and regret that some aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations.

Regarding the cobwebs in the bathroom, or the smell I have no record of this information being passed to any member of staff but since a previous review pointed out cobwebs around the bath a number of years ago staff have been focused on this area, it would be useful to know who you informed and what they did about it as we have no record in our guest concerns book like this.

In particular, we are disappointed to read your comment about the Host. being over friendly in one case, I try to spend time with guests but only when discussion is advanced by the guest and I am having difficulty placing yourselves, in the second case at breakfast I was a little further confused as I cook all the breakfasts in the morning and so am in the Kitchens not the breakfast room with other staff being in there to take orders and serve, but any further information you can provide about this issue would be welcome, so I can temper any over friendliness, also the date visited would be useful as I was also away for 3 days from the 7th of July but I am known to be friendly so most likely to be me! and over the last couple of months other than for Decaffeinated coffee I cannot remember Cafetiere going into the breakfast room, and they use the same fresh ground South American blend from Garraways in both.

We are sorry that the room decor was not to your liking and we appreciate that this is an issue of aesthetics where there is no right or wrong. We would like to point out that the hotel rooms were originally furnished in 1860s-90s,and colour schemes used in the refurbishment came from that period with most rooms being refurbished in the last 2 years we are sorry you feel this way, and we would welcome any suggestions you would like to provide regarding room decoration as there is no monopoly on good ideas, and if you would like to see other items added or improved. We are certainly always looking for ways to improve the standard of guest rooms.

Regards
Alan Pulman

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

The hall is superb. The rooms a very nice. The grounds are fantastic. The best is the hospitality we experienced. The only drawback is the restaurant and bar. Not many beers on tab and food doesn't live up to the expectations created by the menue. The breakfast is great though. Summary: stay there, but don't eat there.

Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Dolly hotel for 4 nights with our dog Bob. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we could not have asked for better service. Every detail was taken care of, Alan and his team were fantastic from printing us off walks, to studying the weather forecast on the first day to tell us where to head for the sun. The food was excellent and the chef cooked the steaks perfectly. The hotel itself is in a stunning location surrounded by breathtaking walks. The little touches such as cooking Bob a sausage in the mornings is what makes this hotel special and the first hotel I could honestly say hits a 5 in all the boxes.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Well we read all the reviews, good and bad and all were sort of correct.
Beautiful setting, where we were able to take the dogs, once we'd spoken to the owner on the telephone. We stayed in the Eden room, fantastic views, waking up to the mountains and forests, from dual aspect windows.
We booked for dinner when we booked the room to get the best deal. Had a drink in the bar first which is in the conservatory with super views. The owner, Alan, is very knowledgeable about wines, spirits and mixers. Chose peroni, g and t and rose wine.
Started with pate and black pudding dishes; both delicious along with just baked seeded bread. Homemade lasagne and fillet steak, best steak he has had for a long time he felt, were our mains. Sticky toffee pudding and custard and ice cream, which was a little over frozen, but all really good apart from that.
Walk with the boy around the grounds after dinner, then we chose to sleep them in the car. They were very happy as they were so tired after the Green ride round Coed-y-Brenin!
Good night's sleep, comfy bed, followed by a full British breakfast. Delicious. Another long walk round the grounds and we were ready to leave.
Of all the places we have stayed recently, it was the most expensive; however it was the best steak, even if not the best value all round. I would definitely recommend it though.

Room Tip: Eden had great views!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank t2cps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ganllwyd
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#2 of 6 in Criccieth
Bae Abermaw
Bae Abermaw
#3 of 4 in Barmouth

Been to Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!