“Historic retreat”
Review of Tyn-y-Groes Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ganllwyd
Tyn-y-Groes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Ganllwyd B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Beautiful historic inn with gorgeous views. Food very good and plentiful. Good location for travelling Mid Wales. Staff pleasant and attentive especially the waiter who seemed to be working every shift. Lovely walk along the river just across the road. Only downside, my husband kept banging his head on the low doorway. But he is over 6ft tall.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Sorry for the low door hieght ( It is over five hundred years old and built for shorter people),
But we do try to help people to enjoy their stay here and in North Wales. Thank you for your comments

Reviewed 19 October 2012

I booked a KGB deal and have had so many problems with this obnoxious manager from the outset trying to book dates. Months in advance, availability was very poor. He argued the toss... he could accommodate us in a bunkbed room (errr no!), or a double for one night only, then a twin the second night, but wanted to charge us extra for the inconvenience of being moved. OK, I accept he would have had to service the room, but surely 8 months in advance of the deal end date, he could have done something! There has been no weekend availability for months, but that was OK as we were happy with midweek. Eventually I was given dates by a lady at the hotel that were available. When I rang back the following day, I had the misfortune of getting him on the phone. He very curtly told me the deal had no availability left. No apology, nothing.
I wasted £69 on a non-existent deal. The only consolation I have is that he will have not got a penny extra from me on drinks, meals, etc.
A totally arrogant and objectionable character. Steer well clear!

Room Tip: choose somewhere else if you value customer service!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank RamblingRosie14

I am sorry you have this opinion, but you have never stayed here os met me plus I dont recall ever speaking to you. But to post such comments without any sort of validation is hurtful as its completely untrue ( see other comments)
I cannot understand what you expect to achieve by such obscene remarks. One day someone will make these sort of comments about you and then you maybe will feel some remorse and guilt

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed for two nights saturday to monday on the KGB deal, and were made to feel very welcome straight away. Our room was very clean and comfortable with a large double bed. We asked for suggestions on places to go for a walk and thye were very helpful. We had our evening meals at the hotel and you just have to try the steak and stout pie, its too die for! All the food including breakfasts were heavenly. They have perfectly kept purple moose ale too which just topped the weekend off for my partner. Will definatley stay again the whole hotel is perfectly clean and the owners and staff extremley friendly and helpful. Thankyou for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

We issue all our guest a comment forms to allow them to express their opinions and occassionally we have reports such as your post on this medium. we are most grateful for your comments

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I'd previously stopped off at this place for a meal some 15 months previous with some running club colleagues, whilst en route to North Wales to take part in the Welsh Castles Relay. The food on that visit was great.

Once I saw this hotel advertised on KGB Deals, I had no hesitation in booking it.

However, after having read some reviews on TripAdvisor I was slightly concerned.

There was no need.

We arrived and we were immediately made to feel welcome. The host knew who we were and referred to us by our names. My only minor criticism of the whole stay would be the bathroom, in that the shower head lead was not long enough to bathe my head whilst stood up in bath. However, no big deal and I removed the problem on the second night by having a long soak in the bath to ease the aches and pains from all the walking we'd done.

We were not aware of the overuse of signs some others had mentioned, there was only one in bathroom which suggested that if you had wet-outdoor clothing it could be dried in their specific drying room. We did not feel that this sign was unreasonable.

The food was great, you will NOT go hungry with their portions. You had to have 2 courses to take advantage of the KGB drinks deal, which we did, but there was no way either of us could have eaten a 3rd course of dessert. Breakfast was also a feast.

Overall, we loved it, and we will be recommending it to others!

Give it a try, you'll love it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your report it is apprieciated

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Stayed at the Tyn-Y-Groes for a spring weekend of mountain biking. a few hundred yards from Cord-Y-Brenin mountain bike trails which was excellent. The food and bar were very good and everyone was friendly and accomodating. I'll be back sometime next spring I'm sure.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The inn is in a beautiful situation, easily located and with ample parking.
It is very much a family run business, which runs smoothly and with good but unobtrusive attention to guests.The owners/staff were very friendly and down-to-earth.
I was particularly impressed with the really helpful attitude of the owner's son, who ensured that I had a gluten-free dinner on our first night, and there was also no problem on the second either.The food was unpretentious with nothing adventurous, and I felt that the meat/fish supplier was top-notch; the steak I had on the first evening was one of the best I have ever had, thick and succulent, and cooked exactly right. I think it says a lot when owners do not try to cut corners, but are willing to buy in the best.
The rooms are very clean, which is no mean feat in such a lovely old building.
The only minor ways to improve might be to improve the lighting in the bedroom, and to site an electricity socket to make hairdrying+mirror a little easier.
As the front rooms face onto a main road light sleepers may benefit from earplugs, which to be honest, I pack for wherever I'm going.
I would say that if you are looking for characterful, very clean and reasonable accommodation in this area, then I would definitely recommend Tyn-Y-Groes.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your report ans we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 13 September 2012

This was the first time we had been to North Wales and i have to say i thought it was wonderful. We arrived late on the friday night and they very kindly got us to ring through our dinner order so that it would be ready when we got there which was after 9 pm. Food great, and the staff were very friendly. The Landlord came over to chat to us after our meal. The location is breathtaking. I wish we had more time there. The Landlord also gave us some advise on which railway trip would be better for our 3 year old boy. Loved it and has definaly inspired us to come back to North Wales.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your reponse, they are appreciated

Been to Tyn-y-Groes Hotel? Share your experiences!