“Quick lunch stop - should have gone on!”
Review of Tyn-y-Groes Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ganllwyd
Tyn-y-Groes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Ganllwyd B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stopped here for a quick bite and it was distinctly average. The sandwiches were poor - no sign of the mustard with the ham and the bread was shop-bought and tasteless. The beer was good, though, and the welcome from the landlord was warm. Good for a pint but not for the food!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas G
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2015

Oh dear, we don't put mustard on sandwiches (allergen caution) and of course the bread is shop brought, but is quality whole grain! a very strange set of comments, any thanks all the same

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Having got lost in Snowdonia on a Sunday and struggling to find lunch, we stopped here.

They were so friendly and accommodating. As we were in a rush, they fixed up a delicious and reasonably priced tuna salad for us despite it being their carvery on a Sunday.

We can't thank them enough for their flexibility and hospitality.

I can't comment on the hotel, but the bar and restaurant were excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Very impressed with the staff, food and room. Good quality meals cooked to order were served in very generous portions and were delicious. Anybody who thinks the owner is rude must have some form of communication issue as we were extremely impressed with his honest opinions and local knowledge that lead us to some great walking and cycling tracks! Yes the cook did check us out (after serving a very tasty cooked breakfast) as the owners had been up late serving in the bar and restaurant.The hot water takes a while longer to come through than some may be accustomed to but where else can you shower in hot mineral water straight from the mountains! There is a road right outside the hotel but traffic is not busy at night and having the road so close makes exploring the stunning area so easy. We will probably return for years to come.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We went in August on a KGB deal. Good parking in the hotel's lay-by. Exterior brightened by flower beds and baskets. The hanging hotel sign needed maintenance, looked if it would fail soon. Arrived 3 pm, rang bell as a notice instructed and were promptly admitted. Check in formalities quickly completed, and we were shown to room 6 at the back, so a nicely quiet room with no traffic noise. Twin comfortable 3ft beds in a small area, one side of each against a wall and an aprox. 20in. path between them. One small window with an opening light at the top. Furniture included tween beds drawers with bedside light, and a desk with drawers. Tea and coffee making facilities. Small flat screen tv, with Sky. The room was cleanly decorated, cream walls, white pitched ceiling and behind the beds the wall was wallpapered with a flowery pattern.The en-suite was decorated in orange. The part tiling above the bath was glossy white, with clean grouting. A small corner of wallpaper was turned up. The light fitting needed cleaning of its dead fly collection. The above basin shelf had loose brackets and sloped slightly downwards, so things would fall off. The hotel info booklet said they were trying to get a three star rating. It also mentioned smoking in the room, but this is now prohibited (with some exceptions). There was no "do not disturb/ make up the room" sign for us to hang on the door, so our room was not cleaned & beds not made.There was no fire escape plan on the back of the door. Immediately outside the room, there was a fire door, but this did not have signing to indicate its function. There was a fire detector in the room.
Breakfast was of good quality, choice of juices, cereals and drinks, with a menu for the hot course, which was cooked to order. When I said I didn't want sausage, extra bacon was immediately offered.
There was a noticible difference between outside and inside atmosphere as we entered. We could not determine what the source was. On going upstairs, the atmosphere was very close. The hall windows had fixed secondary double glazing. I think that better ventilation (open windows to let fresh air in) was required on both levels.

Room Tip: Roadside rooms may have traffic noise, especially if you have windows open at night.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roger G
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Just came back from 2 night stay on KGB deal. Great value accommodation and food was really great. We ate both nights and were very satisfied with both our meals. Staff and owners were very helpful and friendly. The hotel was a great location for getting around and there is plenty to do. We went to the waterfall down the road which was beautiful and its recommended if you are an able walker to walk along the waterfall as its so serene. ( you almost feel like you may see some fairies about under the toadstools!!!).There is a path though to walk if you choose not too. Over the road is some lovely walks in the forest and are fit to walk for all ages with a picnic and bbq site. Barmouth is not far and the beach is great too. Good value.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the house and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I am originally from Harlech and know the area well and the Tyn y Groes location from having passed the hotel several times in the last 30 years.

My wife and I have seen many hotels, some good, some bad (we go to Tunisia every year.)

In a double room - when I asked for a double bed, I would not expect to find two singles pushed together - in Africa yes, not in the UK where we have trade description acts

The Tyn y Groes is tired, needs modernising and for the price, poor quality.

The food (evening meal and breakfast) was poor, instant coffee in a coffee jug was certainly not expected. We had to provide brown bread for toast as they didn;t have any and my wife has a white bread allergy.

We stayed in room three which at 8pm we realised was above the main bar, thank god we were not above the pool table room. As this is obviosuly an old building (coaching Inn) the floors are thin with gaps, we heard bar guest voices and laughter throughout the night until the bar shut at midnight, then blissfull quiet. Not a good night's sleep...................

The evening waiting staff comprised of two girls of what I describe as McDonalds / St Trinians School-girl type rejects - I don't expect laughing and giggling while we ate eminating from the kitchen and I certinly was horrified to hear guests being discussed in their local Welsh language - not complimentary at all!!! I wished them both a "noswaith dda" to very red faced and embarrased looks - I speak fluent welsh with a local accent.............

I end with two good points - free WiFi and excellent views (from the road), parking was adequate.

The best till last - Hot water for the shower, it will only work if you run the hot water tap in the sink. Having stood under a cold shower for 7 minutes, I finally went down (clothed) to seek assistance. The remedy was that as the building is so old, the hot water has to travel from the furthest point in the hotel until it reaches the showers in the rooms.

For a 2013 coaching hotel, the missing items were the horses and coaches, what I would exect from this antiquainted Inn - not a hotel in my book.

May I suggest that if you wish to have a hot shower before dinner, turn on the shower unti at 2pm, you may be lucky.

For a peaceful night - go elsewhere and return to the room at midnight.

For good food, McDonalds if they have ventured North or the seaside chip shop. Lunchtime snacks were adequate, but we chose cold cuts and fried frozen chips.

With my experience of staying in UK and foreign hotels, I regard this as a 2 star in need of considerable refurb and modernising - a filter coffee machine would help - but tht sounds pickie!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank dafudd
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

I am sorry that you found your stay unaccommodating to this extent as the comments you left in our visitor book are in conflict with your statement above particularly when you said you would return.
Anyway, to address some of your gripes; its standard practice to adjoin single beds to make a king size double (the beds are designed for it) I’ve also been to Tunisia a most unpleasant experience a real rip off destination.
You omit to say in your comments above, and as you omitted to inform us, that your wife has dietary problems, and that she had her own bread and milk so it wasn’t a problem, i went through our menu and investigated on your behalf what the contents of the food was i.e. the sausages for breakfast to ensure your wife would not suffer any reactions.
I’m amazed that you went to bed at 8.00, I’ve since found out that you came down at 9.30 for some drinks, I’m happy to say that we are busy and other people are out to enjoy themselves, I still can believe that you didn’t join in as there was a predominance of welsh speakers in that night. I could have relocated you to another room but they would have been single beds!
We’ve had comments about the waiting on staff that they are sullen, we try to allow young people to gain work experience in this sort of environment and now you complain about them, not right is it? and at no time do they ever talk disparagingly about any customers, maybe your welsh isn’t son good as it used to be .
I do note that "I end with two good points" there’s 3 and then you continue argh!
Hot water; when i came up, I showed that you actually been running the cold tap in error and that you had switched the shower off, i do try to help and the showers are electric, so it’s instantaneous. The rest is garbage.
Then finally the food as I mentioned earlier about your wife’s dietary problems, so how did you have sandwiches and our chips are very good quality, that was your choice.
Why would we modernise a perfectly good rustic, Old World Inn with all its inherent charms, try finding one in Tunisia as there all probably blown up by now.
Indecently, while you were here, we had two other guests who are staying for 12 days and have done so for the last eight years, picky eh!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

On the same MTB trip as listed below by 'Al'.

I concur with his commentary on the whole. Poor rooms and bathrooms for the price. Hotel in need of modernisation. Lovely location, good parking and reasonable food and drinks prices.

Experience was let down by the management who wanted to ensure we stayed in their bar for the night; stating that there were no taxi's to depart from the area and even charging a fee if we returned after midnight ! Unusual to say the least !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank boardridereast
nephitynyg, Owner at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Firstly. I refer you to my previous retort to Al!
But to respond to yourself, the room you had is of excellent quality and as you only had the one room for all of your party your not in a position to comment on other rooms, unless you wandered into someone elses room (thus the complaint from other guests when you returned drunk)
When we try to offer advice we are damned and when we dont we are also damned, so its a no win situation with the likes of yourself, would you sit up all night for guests to return, I did and didnt charge you. and then you complain about family ethos.
Legally, I could have refused you entry as your were very drunk, but I didnt because I didnt want the hassle at 3.30am
Again, as previously stated, you dont mention the time you returned or the state you were in, especially as you couldnt get a taxi, enough said.
Im not quite sure of what you intend to achieve by making this double comment, dont you believe that your friend had said enough.
The staff say thanks for the tip

Been to Tyn-y-Groes Hotel? Share your experiences!