“Amazing food”

Bryn Artro Country House
Ranked #3 of 7 Llanbedr B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My girlfriend and I were staying in the Maes Artro Lodges in Llanbedr two weekends ago, and had gone to the local shop for provisions, and were recommended by shop owner Julie to try Bryn Artro for a lunchtime meal on the Saturday.
We met the new owners Nick and Steve, and though we were the only diners were made very welcome, they told us they had only been open a week so business was a little slow so far, understandably. There was no lunch menu on offer, just the full price a la carte menu, which wasn't exactly what we wanted. But having come thus far, we took the plunge, both ordering the lamb Clefticol. Front-of-house man Nick explained that chef Steve cooked the lamb in oil for 6 hours, served on a bed of mash/cabbage/smoked bacon, with a gin flavoured sauce. Oh my God, the food was amazing, lamb so tasty and tender with an intensely flavoured rich sauce not overpowered with the gin, we both thought it was outstanding.
Interior designer Nick then gave us a tour of the refurbished rooms, which were lovely - very tastefully done. We even got a welcome from Snowy the cat! We plan to return to Bryn Artro in the new year and stay for a night or two, and take advantage of the dinner/bed&breakfast offer, to sample more of the delicious menu on offer, and stay in one of the fab rooms with 4 poster beds.
We would like to wish Nick & Steve all the best for their business, I'm sure once word spreads locally that this will flourish as it deserves.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Michael G
There are newer reviews for Bryn Artro Country House

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Just spent the weekend at the Bryn Artro Country House in Llanbedr and I must say what a weekend. The house is amazing the food to die for, the rooms outstanding and the hosts superb. Myself and my wife loved it and will be going back there again. The area is beautiful and the locals are very friendly you must try the local cheese outstanding not only that also pets are welcome to stay for that bit of hill walking not many hotels provide this service again outstanding. I personally strongly recommend anyone who wants a short break or holiday should visit you will not be disappointed. The Bryn Artro house is a superb place to stay especially with all its surrounding areas such as Snowdonia beautiful part of Wales. I and my wife give this country house 10 stars not 5 and not to be missed. Thanks to Nicholas and Steven for looking after us will see you at Christmas cant wait and thank you to you lads for looking after my wife and me.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Kenny D
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Julie and family made us very welcome. The hotel was homely, friendly, comfortable and well cared for. Julie is a very friendly outgoing lady who can easily make you feel at home. The decor and furnishings were first class, the breakfast superb. A hotel with beautiful surroundings. I would definitely recommend a visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Janna47
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Julie couldn't have made our stay with her this weekend more hospitable, it felt like we were at home and this was echoed by all 12 of us. We arrived on friday post a long day's golfing to a lovely, warm and clean house and a bar full of every refreshment required. Julie makes a tremendous fulll english and couldn't have been more helpful and accomodating - if we are golfing in this area again, Julie will be our first port of call! Many thanks Julie.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank LCSM14
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Our recent stay was much like what dusna and jan63 had. Everything was just "off" from the beginning. The car park is big and easy to park in but the front walk up to the house needed to be swept clean. We went in the front door and searched around until we found Jane in the back dining room. The room was A MESS!!! It looked like a bomb went off. She apologized saying there was a party the day before but we arrived at 5pm- one would think a guest home would be clean and tidy by then. We were taken up to our room. It seemed fine. Very basic. We then noticed that the toilet paper roll was almost empty and no other roll was provided, the tissue box was empty and the trash bin had trash in it. Because the bathroom fan would not turn off they moved us to us to another room, which was larger and nicer, but the bed was as hard as a rock. There were no bars of soap in the bath- just a pump bottle by the sink which was 3/4 empty. Also the lamps were tiny and had dark shades on them making it impossible to read in bed. We asked for dinner recommendations and Jane told us she'd make a reservation at the Caribbean which she told us was on the main road. When we finally found the Caribbean ( next to the Castle, not on the main road) it was closed. We ended up for dinner at The Plas (around the corner from the castle- outstanding food and sunset view). The next day when we went down to the dining room for breakfast (which by the way we had been told the night before was from 9-10AM.... A really late start for American tourists) Jane was nowhere to be found. A man came out from the kitchen and explained that Jane was held up somewhere as she took her daughters to school. He came to fill in. He provided some coffee as we waited for Jane. On a side table there were 3 sticky plastic containers with cold cereal in them and a plate with one sliced canned peach and a few slices of pineapple. That was the fabulous breakfast everyone else raved about. The man from the kitchen did reappear and was kind enough to scramble some eggs and make toast. As we waited for that we noticed the filthy windows, the yellow water in the vases and the wrinkled table cloths. By 9:45 still no Jane.... Luckily we had 85 pounds cash (WAY WAY WAY too much considering what we got) to hand to the man in the kitchen and out we went saying " What just happened????? That was supposed to be a 5 star B&B and it was anything but!!!"

• Stayed: September 2013
13  Thank Sjmtravels
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

All I can say about the review by Jan63Weveglen must have been of different guest house. My stay was excellent. The room was clean and tidy with a very modern shower room. The bed was comfortable, even though I haven't slept in a single bed for many years.
Breakfast has to be given an excellent with fresh pork and leek sausages from the local butcher and fresh eggs from the in house chickens. All fresh tomatoes and mushrooms as well. Jayne and Darren were excellent hosts. Both being very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank AlBrowne
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Where to start, I arrived after a disaster of a camping trip with an 8 year old girl and a six month old baby we were all cold and wet our tent had smashed to smithereens and had no where to go, upon arrival in the hotel I explained to the manager my situation who offered me a room on the spot!
Unfortunately I hadn't expected the extra cost and hadn't got the money for the room to which she replied that's no problem your children are safe!!
I arranged payment with the hotel and settled into our room which was lovely warm and welcoming!
My children were warm and safe we immediately felt welcome! Nothing I can say can fault this hotel the food was delicious at our evening meal and breakfast was lovely too.,
Jane interacted with my children and offered my daughter crayons at our meal, nothing is too much for this hostess!
Jane we cannot thank you enough and we will use your hotel time and time again :))

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Kate1066
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanbedr
Ty Mawr Hotel
#1 of 2 in Llanfair
The Old Farmhouse
The Old Farmhouse
#1 of 4 in Dyffryn Ardudwy

Been to Bryn Artro Country House? Share your experiences!