“A unique spot”
Review of Shell Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanbedr
Shell Island
“A unique spot”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was the first proper camping experience with my girlfriend and what a fantastic one it was! We stopped here for three nights with friends and has a great time; we had BBQs every night and sat up until late playing UNO by candlelight, such a great holiday! The best thing about Shell Island is its seclusion and uniqueness. When arriving make sure you know when the high tides are as you can't access the island when the tide is high - these are on the website for Shell Island.

As they aren't designated pitches, make sure you drive around and find the perfect spot! It is great because we found a spot which was nice and secluded and keeps you separate from everything, yet not to far from a toilet block or the main site with the showers. We stopped Wed-Sat and regretted staying the Friday night as large amounts of large groups of young people arrived staying up until the early hours, making great deals of noise with music and shouting. With this in mind, when revisited in September we staying Mon-Thurs, much better and much more peaceful.

We couldn't have wished for better weather in July, it was scorching hot all four days and made for a great experience. The beach is fantastic, albeit difficult to find! A long stretch of sand with beautiful clear waters, it is quite easy to find a quiet spot to enjoy sunbathing, a game of badminton and some paddling.

The only downside, as I guess is true for all campsites, is the state of the toilets, they are quite dirty and the showers became so too. This is fellow campers I understand, but some more frequent cleaning couldn't hurt. The toilet block near us had a power cut one night and they didn't sort it until the next day, difficult to locate in the middle of the night when you're half asleep!!

Overall this was a wonderful holiday and I would highly recommend stopping here. It can get expensive at peak times, but still worth it! All the conveniences are reasonably priced considering and have a good stock. We will be back again this year.

Room Tip: Avoid stopping at the weekends to avoid noisy groups of young people.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank robj_1992

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Burscough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I should start by saying that I'm not a natural camper, but the children enjoy it so much and fight over who is going to do the cooking and washing-up, that I end up getting a break too!

We decided to stay here following a recommendation from a friend and we're so glad we did. We stayed for a weekend and didn't leave the island once.

With no wifi, the children had to look elsewhere for their entertainment and they didn't stop from the moment we got up until they fell into their sleeping bags exhausted. We bought crab lines from the reasonably priced shop on site and spent hours casting them by the causeway, we held running races up and down the slight hill in our field, we collected shells and drew pictures in the sand and went for dawn walks on the beach in our pyjamas, then sat around our open fire in the evening. It was idyllic and felt as though we were part of a Famous Five adventure.

Yes, the toilets blocks get a bit dirty and smelly, but that is down to your fellow campers, not the management, and unless you want to queue for half an hour you need to shower at 'alternative' times of the day, but surely that is all part of the camping experience?

We didn't eat at the pizza place or visit the bar so I can't comment on the quality of those, although both seemed to have lots of children running wild and unsupervised while the parents were getting a drink, a pet hate of mine on campsites.

There were also the usual few campers who think it's amusing to sit up drinking, chatting and playing music late into the night without considering anyone else, but again, you get them everywhere. It wouldn't put us off staying again and are already trying to find another free weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jellybellydancer
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Had such a fun time! Yer the weather was as usual awful. But what do you expect in Wales? It rains 90% of the time, I would know I grew up here. The non designated tent pitch was genius. I would recommend having a good drive around to find a good spot. We found a good one by some trees. Avoid high areas if there are high winds!!

For the location, perfect. Middle of know where. I hate hustle and bustle so it was lovely and relaxing. We had a camp-fire and cooked marshmallows on it. The on site grocery shop was pretty good. has everything you need for a reasonable price.

As for facilities, the showers were good enough for me. Its a bit annoying having to push the button for the shower literally every 2 mins. But I understand why they use them to avoid floods and water wastage but they could do with being on a 5 minute cycle rather than 2. And it was pretty cold in the shower area. some heating would have been much appreciated. Cleanliness was good considering the size of the site. Thinking some people must have delusions of grandeur when reviewing the shower area. It is camping after all not glamping.
Over all I loved it!!! Just a few tweaking with the shower and heating and it would be excellent.

Keep doing what your doing Shell Island and we will see you again in June hopefully. :)

Room Tip: Get near some trees!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I and my family have been coming to Shell Island since the 60,s and I have had many great holidays. The early days were much different than today. I remember the little shop and the 1 toilet block, there wasn't the space in those days so it would have been difficult to accommodate the amount of people that go there today. I may have been the first to be allowed there on a motor bike but I wasn't rowdy so nobody bothered me. I can't think of a better site than Shell Island, I came with my mum, dad, brother and sister and now my family come with their kids. I have had a few holidays on my own there as well and it was still enjoyable. Thanks to all the staff for the many holidays and the many I hope will come.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 February 2014

my family and i have been camping at shell island for years we used to come many times a year and we would always see the October fireworks what are fab every single time they have done it. it is alot of fun and you always have a good time no matter what the weather is like you do get extreme winds sometimes but the shops are fully equipped to help you a little downer on the campsite are the cleanliness of the toilets and showers they do get pretty dirty during peak season (July august) also the portable toilets get dirty even tho there cleaned everyday.
a big thing what has changes are minds on coming to shell island is the new dog rule which is you have to keep your dogs on leads at all time including the beach which is very silly as there is many people who go shell island with dogs and many people like them to be off lead on the beach also the silly thing is there is dog free fields so if people don't like dogs they should just camp there if you go in march like the family have decided you can have them off leads also there is sign everywhere telling you to tell the warden if any rules are broken and it feels like people just want to snitch on you all the time SO IF YOU HAVE DOGS AND YOU LIKE THEM TO BE OFF LEAD ON THE BEACH AND CAMPSITE COME DURING OFF-PEAK SEASONS. it is a shame about this rule because the beach is lovely and shell island will probably loose alot of visitors this year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Becky J
West midlands
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We have camped here several times and it is great. The campsite is clean, plenty of toilets and water points and a great atmosphere. The sea is beautiful and clean and the kids loved the sand dunes. A lovely little shop on site for all your essentials and a decent camp shop for anything you may have forgotten or need replacing. You can sit outside the pub overlooking the park while the kids play and the slipway was great for crabbing. Barmouth town just down the road with another great beach, small fair and arcades and a decent amount of shops. All in all a campers must we've loved it and everyone we've told that's been has also loved it.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Stephanie H
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Just as with any camping experience, Shell Island is great (unless you're battling 90mph winds). I've been here in the sunshine and in the rain - I love the place. When the tide comes in, the place becomes an island, which means no leaving until the tides are out again and the road is uncovered.

It's a great place to find a little space to camp in, chill out, get a fire going and relax for a weekend. We visited Harlech castle up the road, but other than that there aren't many places to go outside of camp. It's really nice wandering the length of beach in the sunshine, and the amenities are okay too. The toilet block can be a fair walk from your set up, but there are portaloos dotted about too if you can face them. Showers, a little cafe, gift shop and pub are on site too and they're all okay.

The second time we went it was absolutely blowing a gale and there was a huge queue of cars waiting in line to leave at 4 in the morning. The wind was at 80/90mph and our tents got trashed. We managed to last the full night but we did end up cutting the holiday short and leaving the next day. You can't predict the weather though, and that's what camping is all about.

Definitely worth going. I am giving Shell Island 4 rather than 3 because we had loads of fun both times!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gemininski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanbedr
Hotel Portmeirion
#3 of 15 in Bala
Estuary Lodge
Estuary Lodge
#1 of 6 in Talsarnau

Been to Shell Island? Share your experiences!