“relaxing break for campers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shell Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanbedr
Shell Island
Newton-Le-Willows, United Kingdom
“relaxing break for campers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

went for the weekend very nice and enjoyable relaxing time views are amazing and on site theirs shower blocks plenty of toilets around which are very clean and tidy laundrette supermarket camping shop and gift shop also if u haven't got your phone charger with you ,you can charge it at the supermarket small charge for that also theirs a bar and a place to have meals and snacks plenty of enclosed skips to discard your rubbish so no excuse to leave it around when you leave staff are polite and you can either drive round the camp site or enjoy a walk to take the fresh air in I will be definitely going again security is on site 24 hours its great for families couples singles of all ages children would enjoy the beach u can go crabbing and if your lucky see dolphins take binoculars to look far in the sea

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 451annmarie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am 13 and go pretty much every year. This year our friends and family will be coming and going through ought the week but altogether there will be about 30 of us !!! (not all at once!!) It is only 27 days untill we go, you can tell how excited I am. The views are absolutely amazing, at night we sit on the warm sand dunes and watch the sun set its so beautiful!! Barmouth town is so lovely with great shops and activitys. Every year we go it's really hot ( touch wood ). I do agree though it's not the cleanest place on earth but the shell island team make so much effort to keep it clean, every time I go to the big toilet block there is always someone mopping up!! It is such a safe place and you feel as though you know everyone that goes there. The showers can become dirty but your camping so what do you expect !! Overall shell island is such a stunning but fun place to go and there is a piece of it to suit everyone I live for shell island and absolutely can't wait to go again !!! By the way as you can proberbly see I have given 5 stars for the swimming pool and by this I mean the sea !!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Amy B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We've just got back from a weekend here, I love the place been coming for 6 years and this must be our 8th time.
Love the space and privacy and the fact you have different choices where to camp.
The views are spectacular and the beach is spotless and picture perfect, the weather was so hot at the weekend you would think we were somewhere abroad with it's fabulous beaches.
The onsite shops are very reasonably priced and everything you need.
The facility's are very good and clean apart from the portaloos which I found dirty and smelly so I just used the proper toilet blocks without a problem after that.
Lots to do for children, playground, games room, sand dunes and beach and lovely wooded areas.
Yes I will definitely be returning again in the summer holidays
Love it

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I love it at Shell Island. I've been going since I was really young and it's never let me down. I've been with my family, as a couple, with and without the dog and as a group of friends; each time was great!

From the friendly staff when you first get there to the seemingly infinite choice of where to camp; it's such a lovely experience! This time round we camped nearer the dunes, it's good but just be weary of tent pegs in sand! However, sand around your campsite makes for an excellent fire pit (fires strictly have to be off the ground/in sand).

We went for a full English breakfast on Sunday morning, a personal 'must-do' of mine when visiting Shell Island! Whilst the facilities seem a little dated (and haven't really changed while I've been going!) they're all fully functional and perfect for what you want, e.g. the showers are plain and simple!

I highly recommend Shell Island to anyone who'll listen. Go!!!

PS. I've never stayed in the chalets, I've always camped (the proper way to do Shell!)

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank BB345
North Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Well we have just spent a weekend at Shell Island with our 6 yr old son and yet again what a lovely time was had by all. Forget about glamping, this is camping at its best where you can forget about TV, IPADS and MOBILE PHONES and get back to basics with a game of cards, making sandcastles or having a dip in the sea. The object is simple ie when you arrive at Shell Island having passed the causeway when the tide is out, just find a secluded spot and pitch your tent. This is the only camp site where you can have a campfire as long as its raised and enjoy the tranquility that Shell Island offers. There is a dog free camping area nr to the camp club and shop but we like to venture to a quiet area with our westie where we can relax and watch our son running up and down the sand dunes. Families really do enjoy themselves and its lovely to see camping areas with flags representing the various nationalities on site. There is security on site who ensure that music is kept to a minimum after 11.30pm. Rowdiness is not tolerated as Shell Island wants to appeal to the family. Barmouth, Harlech and Pothmadog (Tescos) are your local towns and there is a local train station (short walk) for the explorers amongst you. There is a camping shop,(logs) gift shop and convenience store on site but I would recommend that your main provisions are bought prior to arrival as it can be expensive. There is a bar on site where you can partake in a drink whilst enjoying a cooked snack or supervising your child at the playground area. The shower blocks are basic but clean and fit for purpose. We have been visiting Shell Island for over 10 yrs now and I'm always amazed at the amount of visitors to the site. There is a web site where you can book online but we have never been turned away. TIP Have a look on YouTube under Shell Island and you will get an insight into why this is such a special place. I want my son to have fond memories of when he picked up a caterpiller , saw a bird rest on his shoulder and connected with nature and that's why I will keep coming here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Julie18122013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Its a lovely spot and the location is stunning. Lovely beaches and the dog free area is great for us as our children don't like dogs.Our kids loved the play area and the freedom to run around in safety. The shower block is the thing that let it down for me. The floor was covered in grass and one morning there was an empty bottle of wicked on the windowsill. There aren't enough showers for the amount of campers and it wasn't full when we went. The drains next to the washing up area stink of sewage. We took the children climbing up the sand dunes and there were empty Stella cans and plastic bottles. Its a great shame as it could be so different. I feel that it is under staffed in terms of cleanliness. The bar staff are hanging around playing guitars and the tables are covered in bottles and dirty glasses. When you visit the website there are a rack of rules and regs regarding who is welcome and loud music will not be tolerated after 11. Yet I had to get security at 1 am to ask two separate groups of people to be quiet who switched off their music but continued to make noise. The security guy didn't come and check if things had improved.
This all said I think we will visit Shell Island again but hope they will update the facilities and get some more staff.

Room Tip: Assume a room is a pitch.