“A lovely location for a stop over”
Review of Steppes Farm

Steppes Farm
Ranked #18 of 21 Monmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We decided to stop over here on our way back from a day out in Cardiff (attracted mainly by the Stonemill restaurant on site). We stayed in Mole End as the smaller cottage was unavailable but were charged the same price anyway. The cottage was well equipped and whilst we enjoyed our days B&B we speculated that the cottages would be lovely in the Summer when you could sit outside. We may return for a bit of walking when the weather is kinder.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Steppes Farm

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stepps Farm and the adjacent Stonemill Restaurant are without any doubt first class in their own regard. The Cottage Accommodation at Stepps Farm is well appointed, spacious, and has adequate self catering equipment for couples and families alike. It would be the exception rather than the rule to find anything wrong with this place. The Stonemill Restaurant has a great reputation built up over a number of years, and in my view (previous review) is outstanding. However with regard to Stepps Farm there does seem to be a slight confusion with internal communications.
My wife and I booked for a three night stay in March 2013 we asked in advance if Stepps Farm could accommodate our Dog; something that they do not normally do. Stepps Farm told us that providing they could be assured that our Dog was kept under control and the animal was not left unattended in the cottages they would in this particular case allow our dog to stay. A price was agreed over the telephone, within the hour I confirmed the details of our conversation by email, and posted a cheque for the full amount required 6 days in advance of our arrival together with a further confirmation letter stating clearly the terms that were agreed with regard to our stay. This was done by recorded delivery mail.

Sadly on our arrival at Stepps Farm the “Lady” (I presume owner) advised us that we needed to pay an extra £10 per night because we had a Dog. I produced records of our previous communications and asked why no-one from Stepps queried the written confirmation and the price agreed, if indeed there was to be an extra charge. Our conversation became a little animated and I was close to leaving and looking for an alternative place to stay before our situation was satisfactorily resolved and my wife, dog, and I had a superb three night stay.
Stepps Farm is in my view an excellent self catering establishment well worth a visit if you are staying in the Monmouth area, However I get the feeling that unless you “dot the I’s and cross the T’s” particularly on “impromptued” booked accommodation, things could get a little messy.

Special Note
I am fully aware that Stepps broke their own house rules allowing my Dog to stay and for that I am appreciative. But after travelling over 180 miles the last thing you need is a doubt over what you believed was a firm agreement. My recent experience will in no-way deter me from staying at Stepps Farm again (If they’ll have me back).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank terry s
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Me, my mother, my sister and my niece stayed at Steppes Farm Cottages for a week over Christmas 2012 and had the best Christmas ever! We stayed in the Haywain, a lovely 2 bedroom open plan cottage, which has been beauifully restored, it is tastefully furnished and very well equipped. We managed to cook full Xmas dinner for four with everything we needed. Despite the miserable weather it was cosy and warm (actually sometimes too hot with both the oven and logfire going at the same time!) Peter and Rita were lovely hosts, not interferring but always on hand if we needed something, like extra logs or just to ask a question about the locality and had even gone to the trouble of decorating cottage for us with Christmas decorations and a lovely tree. The whole farm is immaculately kept and would have been easy to find if we had ignorged our sat nav which sent us on a detour of Monmouth town centre...just follow the signs to Rockfield, up the hill and you can't go wrong. We arrived at night so it was difficult to see where we were but when we woke in the morning....Wow! The views of the rolling hills and countryside are stunning...just what you want when you're escaping London town. It felt like the middle of no where and yet the town centre with all the amenities you could want are just a mile or two away.

On Xmas eve we booked to eat in the Stonemill restaurant, which is on site and absolutely beautiful. Michelle and her lovely staff were warm and welcoming and the set seven course meal we had was amazing...even if we were fit to burst! Two of us are fussy vegetarians, (both asked for different meals) and my little niece also ordered seperately, yet we were all catered for and nothing was too much trouble. We ended the night with a couple of Bailey's in the bar area with the staff and a few others then staggered (a couple of seconds away) back to our cottage...no cars, no hassle..just a perfect end to a wonderful evening. (And very reasonably priced too!)

I would like to add, we were convinced it was only us and possibly one other cottage that was occupied during our stay, so when we were leaving we were suprised to find Rita running in and out of all the cottages collecting linen etc. It had in fact been fully occupied but it was so lovely and peaceful, you would have never known. My only complaint? The photos on the website really don't do the place justice.

Oh, and by the way...the owner is not a "surly and rude man" as someone previously suggested. Far from it....my sister arrived in Monmouth before us and got lost. Peter drove down to the town to meet her so she could follow him back to the farm. Then when we arrived shortly afterwards he came over to our cottage to deliver logs, showed us how the woodburner and heating worked and got a nice big fire going for us. He then spent the time to tell us a little about the locality and where we could shop for Xmas. We found him to be a friendly, helpful, laid back and chilled man, the perfect host for a country retreat. Unfortunately, some people are up their own arses and too full of their own self importance to get it..ho hum!

Thank you so much Rita, Peter, Michelle (and staff), we had a magical Xmas. We felt so welcome and could have stayed forever. We will definately be back...sooner rather than later we hope.

With love from...The Witches of Haywain (lol!)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RubyShoo
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We are currently staying in Mole End at Steppes Farm and it is ab adorable.
I work in the hotel industry and have done for 15+ years so was a little anxious about staying in a self contained venue after having a horrific experience recently via cottages4u.com - however i should not have worried.
The cottage is ab spotlessly clean, the beds are inc comfortable along with the selection of pillows (that you only usually see in 4* hotels!), log burner, along with all the standard facilities.
The owner met us last night whilst delivering our logs for the burner (additional £6 per basket, whish is HUGE) and was very pleasant - i can not identify with previous comments regarding rudeness.
We only have 1 more night stay and i could actually move in here. We will deffo be returning again but for a much longer break.
Thank you Steppes Farm for a great weekend.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or childrens activities hence above rating - but we didnt expect it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed here for my sisters wedding in August this year. Location wise it is the most breathtakingly beautiful part of the world and the grounds of the house are very spacious - the marquee for the reception was huge and very nice and the food was great - of particular note was the cheese cake which is to die for!

My family paid for all the younger guests to be put up in the holiday cottages for the night before the wedding and night of the wedding and on the morning after the wedding I had a look at trip advisor and couldn't help but see a few markedly reoccurring themes that I agree wholeheartedly with.

There is no soundproofing in any of the cottages - this has been ridiculed by management claiming the walls at 2ft thick but I think they misunderstand - the partition walls and floors in the renovated buildings are not thick and you can hear your neighbours conversations and even them switching on their bathroom light!! So don't take any snorers or overly amorous couples with you - it'll feel like you're all sleeping in the same room! Our mattress in the Oakfield double was bargain basement and my husband and I slept at the bottom of a 'v' for both nights and felt very stiff the next day, however my mum had the small double and said it was fine - we clearly drew the short straw!
Althought the cottages are cleaned to an appropriate standard, we were a bit shocked to find mouldy tea bags and water left in the teapot - an easy oversight but a bit gross nonetheless!

Upon arrival we were not warmly greeted, we were ignored for the best part of 10 minuts whilst the owner (we assumed he was a groundsman as was astride a lawn mower) gassed with a colleague. Both had seen us arrive, watched us go to reception and ring the bell several times but said nothing. In the end we traipsed over and asked if they could help and lo and behold this was the boss!! We were shown around the cottage whilst told that if we tried to smuggle booze into the venue like a rowing team did earlier in the year then the electricity would be cut (nice touch!) and we were left to unpack.....Until the front door handle broke and we were shut in a coach house style first floor apartment. We rang through to reception to say we were trapped, there was only an answer machine, so we had to shout out of an upstairs window for help. It was mortifying and frightening. One of the restaurant boys eventually rescued us and we went off to find the owner to help fix the door. He did fix it, but huffed and puffed about it so much that I felt very uncomfortable and snuck off for a shower to escape.

As the night drew in we had to begin an interesting game of hunt the lights. One of our party is very hard of sight and we realised that the whole of the kitchen and sitting area was nigh on pitch black because of bulbs missing and broken lights. Again we rang through and said we really did need good lighting for our friends safety and were grilled about whether we were SURE the lights weren't working (yes, I'm sure...if there are no bulbs they tend not to work....maybe this was why you missed the mouldy tea bags) and the owner stamped across and huffed up the stairs with a torch and shouted 'what's your problem?!' to my sister who had just arrived moments before and was unaware of lighting issue - she meekly answered 'er? I'm sorry I don't have a problem?!'. Not fabulous customer service.

The next day was the big day and I walked into the marquee to help set up and found myself in the middle of another fracas with the owner who was refusing to move his tasteless advertising banner stapled to the bar which my sister had agreed prior and printed at great expense a matching personalised one to cover it up with. He shouted that 'she didn't pay for another banner, she didn't arrange it and it was NOT moving - how else would he advertise his business?!' (I thought to myself, with good manners, less of a stinking attitude maybe?!) it all got a bit aggressive and one of my sisters friends called her to explain. She got a bit teary as one might expect and after finally speaking to the owners daughter, we were given 'permission' to display their banner elsewhere and put my sisters up as originally agreed. Once relayed to the owner he stomped in muttering 'what do I know, I only own the place!' ripped the banner off the bar, threw it on the grass outside and stormed off.
Finally I was curtly accused on the day after the big do of having stolen a glass plate....for all of 5 minutes we were under a clearly verbalised suspicion until it was found in the back tent.....

Now my husband and I were married almost a year ago to the day, so we're fairly affair with wedding wot nots and I can categorically assure you of four things:

1) this is an undoubtably stunning reception venue.
2) The owner is a surly, rude man and should be kept WELL AWAY from people paying thousands of pounds to use the marquee and accommodation. If he happens upon guests who need help and he can't be polite he should roll out a standard answer such as 'I'm not in charge here, let me get my daughter to help you'.
3) This review will be slammed by the PR manager as per all the other remotely negative views but if you are planning to get hitched here PLEASE take note of the many people all pointing out the same negative comments - there is no benefit for me to write something as I am not paid nor will I stay here again, we only leave this feedback so you can judge for yourself whether this is the right venue for you. I am not normally a moaning Minnie....and there is no smoke without fire!! :-)
4) There are many other places that will do your big day for you that are just as beautiful where nothing is too much trouble and you are not accused of stealing everything....

Room Tip: Don't pick the double in Oakfield unless you harbour a penchant for thin, flimsy mattresses
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Eleanor W
TheMonmouthWebmaster, Public Relations Manager at Steppes Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

We take criticism very seriously as long as it's constructive! A long rant doesn't really serve any purpose to readers on this site, it is ill informed and indicates an intention to cause trouble.

The reviewer clearly had a lot of issues on the day of her sisters wedding as was evident when the bride apologised profusely to the property owner regarding her sisters behaviour!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We have just returned home from a very enjoyable weekend break staying at Steppes Farm. We stayed at Dovecote cottage. The 16th Century cottage was beautifully restored, well equipped and had a really cosy comfortable feel about the place.
The cottage was really clean and beds were really comfortable. The shower was really easy to use and the bath ideal for kids.
Pete the owner was very welcoming and nothing seemed to much trouble. Having the restaurant on site was a bonus the menu was varied with a good vegetarian option for non meat eaters .
Lastly the location is perfect, really peacefull surrounded by hills and beautiful views yet only a few minutes drive from Monmouth. We will definately be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We have just returned from a superb weekend break at Steppes Farm and cannot praise the place highly enough! Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by the owner Peter who showed us around Dovecote Cottage.

The place is amazing. I have probably stayed in hundreds of holiday cottages over the years and can say without hesitation that none I have stayed in come close to the quality and cleanliness of those at Steppes Farm. It was a real eye opener!

The cottage itself was superb with loads of genuine "olde world" atmosphere, extremely comfortable furniture and everything you could possibly need in the kitchen! Unlike a lot of holiday cottages the bathroom was spotless and fresh with a beautiful view from the window.

Steppes Farm is set in some of the best countryside Monmouthshire has to offer. The views are breathtaking and the property is very well kept with beautiful gardens and bright vibrant colour wherever you look!

I read a lot of reviews before deciding on this propertry for our break and can honestly say that the negative reviews I've read are absolute poppycock! We will definitely be making a habit of staying at Steppes Farm. Thank you Peter and Rita for making our stay so comfortable.

Room Tip: Which ever cotatg eyou choose you will have a superb holiday!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple