“Great location for kayaking”

Queen's Head Monmouth
Ranked #9 of 21 Monmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2013

A five minute walk from monmouth canoe & activity centre, this is my third stay at Queen's head. True the pub will need some updating,but the friendly host Neill promises upgrades now he has taken ownership this year. Rooms are simple but clean and very good value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 April 2013

My wife and I agree with the sentiments of the more appreciative contributors. The QH is a rambling old building with character and history located a stone's throw from Monmouth centre. We had a clean room, a good night's sleep and a good breakfast lovingly prepared by the host Neill. We felt that we had good value for money.

Neill and the staff were extremely welcoming and made our stay relaxed and comfortable. I also regret not being there long enough to enjoy one of Neill's live music/jazz nights.
Other friends had lodged themselves at the 'Bates Motel' out of town but regretted it when they experienced the unpretentious atmosphere and well-kept ales at the Queens Head!

Yup - definitely not the Ritz - that's faceless - we'd prefer to stay here any day! Hey I'm on holiday not on business.
Stayed April 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We booked this B&B through the internet, wanting a cheap stay in the Wye Valley and couldn't afford Tintern! The Queen's Head looked like a good place, Tudor look, old coaching inn etc etc.
When we got there I hated it form the start, cold, dark, dirty, defunct light fittings, minute wardrobe, greasy debris in the shower, electric cables all over the room. We stayed about 20 mins during which time I rearranged the cables in to time at all. But the final thing was the curtains - they had hooks, but only 2 or three were attached per curtain so it drooped everywhere. summed up the place - potential but complete lack of effort. We went down the road and found another B&B only 5£ more per night and swapped after phoning the guy to say sorry. His reply was 'It's ok - I understand'! I'm sure that's happened more than once.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Ideal location and with the anticipation of maybe a visiting ghost from the Cromwel times we were happy when Neil rang back to say he had a vacancy in the hotel.
When we arrived Neil was very pleasant and friendly. He showed us to our room and waited for him to leave before we could appreciate how unlucky we were to be staying here. The heating didn't work and it was freezing, we had a hole in the window. The bathroom was minging and don't get me started on the bed. The mattress must have been stuffed with horse hair as there was no spring in it and it would have been better to sleep on the floor.
We tried getting drunk that evening so we would give a monkey's where we slept but that still made no difference as we spent a cold night in bed. My girlfriend thought I was going to pop the marriage question to her cos I wouldn't stop cuddling her. I never asked the question but couldn't say I was cold and that was why I cuddled her all night.
The breakfast was served in the Thai restaurant and I think cooked by a Thai and not what I'd call an English breakfast. Everything was undercooked and uneatable.
So Neil you're a nice bloke but spend some money on your rooms and get someone who knows how to cook a proper breakfast and all would be so much better.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Minty5490
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is the worse ever dirty,smelly and falling apart place I've ever stayed in.The "recommended" breakfast was greasy and all bought from the local Lidl's or Iceland,extremely poor,basically inedible.
Parking was near non existant but there was a car park (pay and display) in walking distance.
The room was smelly with mould around the shower and dirty lavatory that didn't work properly.The duvets and mattress, which WE had to change, was all stained.Repeated reports to the Manager (Neil, who seemed to stay in the same dirty stained clothes our whole stay) and the staff achieved nothing.
It was full of "permanent" residents and was akin to a DSS hostel with people just moving rooms about, apparently, to fit in the "paying" guests.The bar was full of what certainly appeared to be underage school aged drinkers.They were loud until later hours as well as the "smoking patio(a dingy back yard) smelling of not legal substances.No other pub we went to in town seemed to have this age group.
This wasn't value for money, it was pure robbery. NEVER go there.Environmental health and the police should shut this place!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shane C
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I had the misfortune to stay at the Queens Head in Monmouth in July 2012. I was cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats using a variety of bed-and-breakfast establishments and youth hostels.
It was quite simply awful. The room itself was dirty, the decor 1970s, the toilet blocked. I told the manager about the toilet but no effort was made to unblock it. I found the breakfast to be inedible.
At 46 years of age this is certainly the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in, and I do not doubt that it may well be the worst bed-and-breakfast in the whole of the UK.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Philip K
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stay here at your peril...We have just returned from a weekend in monmouth..Monmouth itself is quite nice but this hotel was the worst ive stayed in in my life. I would have rather slept on the street than stay here. The manager neil was ok but wore the same dirty red jumper the entire stay, our room was filthy smelled of damp and dont get me started on the bathroom,i went with my partner and another couple...we stayed out at night as late as we could as we cudnt face going into the hell hole..I agree with everything people have written about this place. The breakfast made us hurl....If anyone has left any positive remarks about this hotel then they must be relatives or the owner himself.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dudley19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monmouth
Riverside Hotel
#8 of 21 in Monmouth
The Coach House Inn
The Coach House Inn
#6 of 21 in Monmouth

Been to Queen's Head Monmouth? Share your experiences!