“Just the job”

Upstairs Downstairs Tearoom & Cafe
Ranked #4 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Monmouth
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: Upstairs Downstairs Tearoom & Cafe is small but perfectly formed. Upstairs is like stepping back in time, elegantly furnished with panelled walls, Italian Leather chairs and stunning chandeliers. Waitress service and freshly made food and home made cakes add to the charm of this lovely Tea Room / Coffee shop and now downstairs, on the ground floor we have opened a more informal cafe with comfortable arm chairs and shabby chic tables & chairs but still beautifully decorated. Upstairs can be booked for anniversary Afternoon teas and special occasions. A little oasis in the heart of the pretty market town of Monmouth.
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having read reviews about this place we decided to sample it for an easy lunch on our trip to Swansea. We were not disappointed - we enjoyed the food; the service was excellent and everyone was friendly. We shall be back next time we drive to Swansea.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We really enjoyed this place. We scoured the high-street to find somewhere that had a bit of individuality and character amongst the chain coffee outlets. We found it! There are a few seats downstairs in amongst the shop, but the main seating area is upstairs, see the picture at the top of the reviews. It has some lovely local art on the walls and a rather impressive chandelier, The view of the high-street is also a plus for the nosey (like me). It was a hot day and we had both eaten a BIG breakfast at the nearby Bell Inn, so we just wanted something light. I had a Victorian lemonade, which was a pleasant change from the usual lemonades one is served in chain places, my wife had a fresh juice. Both were excellent. We shared a Rocky Road Sundae, my word was it worth it! It came in a beautiful glass and was enormous, full of chocolatey goodness and lovely ice-cream. The service was friendly and although the waitress was new, she took the trouble to answer our questions in a detailed manner and was very polite and professional. We would highly recommend the tea room. Certainly one of the most characterful we encountered in Monmouth and the food quality was excellent.

1  Thank creteboy
Reviewed 17 July 2013

we had been wandering around Monmouth when we happened upon this little tea room advertising home made scones and tea. My wife couldn't wait to taste them as she does everywhere we go. My wife ordered hers and asked if any of the cakes were dairy free for me. The lady was on the phone to the cook straight away to see if any were. We were in luck and both sat down for tea and cake. My wife commented that the scones were some of the best that she had tasted, As for my cake I had two slices it was so good, We tried to purchase the dairy free cake but I had the last of it. The owner then gave me the end piece for free as she said she could not sell the end bits. Most unexpected but accepted quickly. the trouble was I ate it before I got out of the shop. It is a lovely little shop the staff are very friendly and chatty. They are also a mine of information on things to do in the area. Have a visit you wont be disappointed.

1  Thank muzzyboy
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Having been told that the ice creams were excellent my friend and I decided to sample. We purchased two ice creams at the cost of £5.We then walked to the completely empty tea shop only to be told we had not spent enough money to sit and eat! Having spent ,money on gifts in the last month at the store, I'm afraid my ice cream suddenly was tasteless. Will not be shopping there again.

Lynda O, Manager at Upstairs Downstairs Tearoom & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Sorry to hear you were disapointed that you could not eat your take away cones in our cafe but we do have an eat in menu as well and we would have been happy to have you sit in for £2.50 as the gentleman waiting to pay at the till had just done. If we had allowed you to eat your takeaway cones at the table then next customer would expect the same, that is why we have an eat in and take away ice cream menu and your recommendation was correct our ice cream is excellent !

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We were surprisingly a bit stuck for something to eat in Monmouth last week given it's a rural hub but we stumbled on this lovely tea rooms. It's in a bit of a time warp of Italian old world charm but that's part of the quirky uniqueness of the place as well. Miss D had a baked potato, Mrs D had parsnip and chilli soup and I had tomato and mascarpone soup. It was all great and with three drinks came to £23 ish. Well worth a visit.