The Gate House Riverside Restuarant and Pub
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Camping just up the road, the beer is excellent, being on the bridge, watching the wildlife; the food is excellent

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We were visiting Monmouth for the food festival and just happened upon this place as hunger struck - we’ll lucky for us as the Sunday roast was incredible! Awkwardly I’m coeliac and needed a gf option but the chef was incredible and made me my own gravy. The plates were piled high with fantastic cuts of meat perfectly cooked tasty veg and plenty of extras to add on (pancetta wrapped parsnips were yummy!) we stayed for pudding and I was especially impressed with the light and tasty home made mango ice cream! Service was great and staff were friendly - will definitely be making the trip back here in the future!!!

1  Thank Rosamundi1989
Reviewed 18 August 2018

The Sunday lunch is good value, and the potatoes and veg were well-cooked, though I would have liked more veg as it was a very small helping between 3 of us. The beef (roast silverside) was unfortunately very tough which made it virtually inedible. The turkey and lamb were fine, though.

Date of visit: August 2018
Two_IC_PR, Owner at The Gate House Riverside Restuarant and Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2018

Please let me know your date of visit, as today is still Sunday and your review is noted as posted yesterday, Saturday! referring to Sunday lunch.
If reviewers put date of visit on we can try and identify just what people are suggesting.
Thanks

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Despite being local, this was our first visit but it won’t be our last. Our group of seven ranged from 6 to 79 and there was something for all of us. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and plentiful. Service was great, too. We will be back!

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

As a local I had always enjoyed a drink at this pub, but never food, because I had heard some bad reviews about the service.
However, when I last went in for a drink a few weeks ago I grabbed a menu to glance at while I waited and noticed something unusual on the menu; a vegan burger! As a vegan it can be extremely hard to eat out, especially in small towns. So at my next opportunity I dragged my husband in there to eat.
Well it was delicious! The vegan burger was amazing, as were the chips. And the staff were friendly and efficient (even on a busy Saturday lunch time). And don’t worry my husband had a ‘normal’ burger and he was just as impressed.
We will definitely be going back very soon. It’s a beautiful pub and I think finally they are serving some delicious food. The only thing I ask would be a decent vegan dessert please!