“It is by the Riverside, but it's not a Hotel...”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monmouth
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I used to live in Monmouth and was desperate to avoid staying here, but everywhere else in town was full. We stayed one night and it was .. basic.
There's a bed (two singles pushed together), a worn-out bathroom and breakfast if you can stomach it, for £70 a night.
It's more of a local pub, the bar-man doubles up as the hotel receptionist / front-desk man. He was perfectly friendly, if overworked and the whole place had a somewhat sad, end-of-the-day chip-fat sogginess about it.
The room was very, very basic and if we'd have looked more closely, could probably have done with a jolly good scrub. The whole place is crying out for strong ownership and a re-furb.
There are better places to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I have read reviews on here of extreme negativity, and I can understand in part people's review on things like price and maybe room quality. However I must remind people that this is a 2 star hotel and in my opinion exactly that in building terms however the staff helpfully ness and the events co ordinator Kate who sorted the wedding the weekend of the 24 of August 2013 where first class and made us as usual feel welcome and part of the Monmouth family. I have relatives who live around the corner and regularly stay here and I must say I feel so welcome when I stay and they can't do enough to help us, yes I agree the price is slightly over priced for a 2 star but arguably the staff do there very best to soften the blow, I left this morning listening to a disturbed customer complaining about the appalling rooms lack of net curtains and lack of paint on pipes, may I remind this person they are under decoration and this building is not a new build and is only two star if its not good enough then get yourself up to the Celtic manor or please feel free not to grace this wonderful town with your presence. Rant over, I will be back and I will I have no dought have a fantastic time thanks to all at the riverside

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Paultoni
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Excellent managed event lovely food brilliant room looked after from start to finish lovely friendly staff I had no issues with chasing for anything it was all done before I thought it was needed if your looking for a special location for an event this is it I had 24 relatives come down and all where looked after in clean and well presented rooms breakfast was great and the way all staff related to them was impeccable if you need photos of the room to see what they are capable off contact me please

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Came on a golf holiday in a group of 10.
Pros - All staff v friendly. Good breakfasts. One real ale in the bar, which was open til late if requested. Lots of parking. Close to town centre. Great pub next door - Green Dragon. Good value.
Cons - Rooms a bit dated, & quite hot. Bit of road noise.

Room Tip: Front to be cool. Back for less noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank danglefox
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We had booked this hotel as a stopover on our cycling LEJoG tour. We arrived late but the lady at reception was very accommodating and let us check in late. She was so friendly and helpful. We were allowed to keep our bikes in a function room and they helped us with recommendations for places to eat late. In the morning everyone was friendly and breakfast was great.
The hotel itself was clean and comfy but the staff and customer service certainly made it for us. A lovely friendly place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2013

It wasn't first choice, but then we arrived a bit late and accommodation in Monmouth, as the guidebook states, is really "thin on the ground" for a county town. We luckily had a room at the backside (with private parking), Cinderhill Street, facing the old and new Monnow bridges, being very trafficky. Atmosphere is friendly, maybe a bit too easy-going. Excellent mattress. Moderate cleanliness, especially of the amazingly big bathroom's floor. The light on one side of the bed wasn't wired. And contrary to what is stated on the hotel's website and folder, no working wifi (because of "thick walls"). Coffee at breakfast barely drinkeable, and the pot of tea overheated with the bags in it. 69 £ (82 €) clearly is too expensive for what you get. The much more posh Prego, on pedestrian Church Street, charges 65. The Coach House on St John's Street from 60, and this seemed particularly nice and quiet. Wetherspoon's The King's Head on Agincourt Square asked 69 without breakfast for a family room, which they didn't want to give away at a double's rate of 59.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jarnefelt
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Booked in on-line, sounded good, but not quite up to expections, good location for a stroll through Monmouth. Friendly and helpful staff, short walk through the ancient arch to local pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monmouth
The Old Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell
The King's Head Hotel
The King's Head Hotel
#3 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!