“A Decent Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monmouth
Fernhurst, United Kingdom
“A Decent Hotel”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

It was a busy place, Monmouth, on the day we visited for a business trip. We got a room at Riverside, having found the 'House Full' sign at the inns on the High Street. Glad we did. Riverside is friendly, helpful, has a car park, free internet, a decent room, decent facilities and good breakfast. We even got a discount to £40 on checkout. What more can you ask?

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank purcyrat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed here as the originally place I booked was being refurbished, but was more than happy to stay here, close to the town centre but quiet.
Comfortable bed, friendly staff and good service.
The breakfast was excellent, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank John G
Riverside418, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your Lovely review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to you stay again. Many Thanks Katie
Hampshire UK
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We booked this accommodation through lastminute.com as a stop off on the way home from our holiday. The price was therefore cheaper than that advertised on the hotel website and we believe was a fair price to pay.
On arrival, we were greeted by very friendly, helpful staff and shown our room. As we had a baby with us, we were given a room at the back of the hotel (Room 19) so as not to disturb others should he wake in the night. We then had a look on tripadvisor and after reading the comments, were glad we had looked after booking rather than before as, in our experience, the comments were completely unfounded. The accommodation was absolutely fine for 2 star - good location, clean, tidy, comfortable, helpful staff, good size rooms, no problem with the tv or wifi, breakfast plentiful. I agree some of the décor in some parts is a little tired, but this is not a new hotel and the owners are making a good effort to address this: with the refurbishment currently being undertaken, I am sure the hotel will go from strength to strength.
In comparison, we stayed in 2 travelodges for a couple of nights earlier in the month. They cost approximately the same but were less comfortable, less helpful staff, no breakfast was included and wifi would have been very expensive. Riverside Hotel was a bargain in comparison!
Lesson learnt: don't believe every review found on here! Visit the venue and make your own judgement.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Archie L
Thank you for your lovely review, I am really pleased you enjoyed you stay. Please come back and see us again.
Many Thanks

Katie
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed her with my friend a week ago. An experience not to be repeated. We didn't unpack anything and kept our bags off the floor. As the pillow cases were stained my friend suggested laying the towels over the sheets, which we did. Every time you flushed the toilet it smelt of the drains. What a rip off £69 room only. Just don't stay. The gentleman on reception was very nice and the best aspect of the place. Try the Gatehouse Pub much better.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gill163557

Travellers are raving about these Monmouth hotels

Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was my second stay at the Riverside Hotel, To be honest the first time may have got an extra star.... maybe! But this second time I think I'm being generous with two stars.
I waited half an hour until someone came to the reception desk, and when he did finally come, he was far from welcoming. The room was reasonable, clean and well appointed.. no problems there.
After having a shower, I went down to the bar area..... the place was deserted! eventually the same young man took my drink order... then disappeared again, never saw another soul for 15 minutes. A lady then took over the bar, I asked about ordering my evening meal and was told quite bluntly that there will be no food tonight as chef's gone home early... this was at 7.00! The said lady then proceeded to get so drunk that she could no longer work and one of the local girls from the bar area had to take over! She was very apologetic.
I went back to my room and pledged never to return to this hotel. I don't like leaving bad reviews, but no choice this time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Richard G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I used to live in Monmouth and was desperate to avoid staying here, but everywhere else in town was full. We stayed one night and it was .. basic.
There's a bed (two singles pushed together), a worn-out bathroom and breakfast if you can stomach it, for £70 a night.
It's more of a local pub, the bar-man doubles up as the hotel receptionist / front-desk man. He was perfectly friendly, if overworked and the whole place had a somewhat sad, end-of-the-day chip-fat sogginess about it.
The room was very, very basic and if we'd have looked more closely, could probably have done with a jolly good scrub. The whole place is crying out for strong ownership and a re-furb.
There are better places to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I have read reviews on here of extreme negativity, and I can understand in part people's review on things like price and maybe room quality. However I must remind people that this is a 2 star hotel and in my opinion exactly that in building terms however the staff helpfully ness and the events co ordinator Kate who sorted the wedding the weekend of the 24 of August 2013 where first class and made us as usual feel welcome and part of the Monmouth family. I have relatives who live around the corner and regularly stay here and I must say I feel so welcome when I stay and they can't do enough to help us, yes I agree the price is slightly over priced for a 2 star but arguably the staff do there very best to soften the blow, I left this morning listening to a disturbed customer complaining about the appalling rooms lack of net curtains and lack of paint on pipes, may I remind this person they are under decoration and this building is not a new build and is only two star if its not good enough then get yourself up to the Celtic manor or please feel free not to grace this wonderful town with your presence. Rant over, I will be back and I will I have no dought have a fantastic time thanks to all at the riverside

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Paultoni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monmouth
The Old Court Hotel
#7 of 21 in Monmouth
Mayhill Hotel
Mayhill Hotel
#5 of 21 in Monmouth

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!