Briefly visited Monmouth in 2010 but had no time to walk around and see what the town had to offer. A business trip last month gave us the opportunity to find an attractive place within the town centre and we certainly found that at Bistro Prego. There is a large 'pay & display' car park behind the Bistro, which was perfect for us as we wanted to keep an eye on our car (full of stock) so we asked for a room at the rear. They have 8 rooms - ours was one of 3 on the first floor. The residents lounge is also on this floor with a good flatscreen TV and comfortable leather settee and easy chairs.
Positioning was brilliant - right in the heart of Monmouth, which is a lovely market town that still has character and looks cared for and bustling. We meandered along the main street to the river and there enjoyed the beautifully crafted history 'wheel' that really captures the uniqueness of the town - don't miss it.
Our double room was small but had everything we needed - very clean and extremely comfortable bed & pillows - ensuite was immaculate. I normally fidget and find anything, but our own bed, hard to settle in but the bed was firm & supportive without being hard and the pillows were just right too.
We booked a table for an early supper - on check-in the receptionist had advised an early dinner booking as the Bistro is very popular and there were 2 large family groups dining later. Good advice. The meal was realistically priced and well worth the cost - frequently restaurants have long menus offering some pretty boring dishes but that was not the case at Bistro Prego! Delicious, everything cooked freshly to order. We each chose dishes we don't usually 'safely' select 'cos they sounded so good; nothing disappointed, including the friendly and attentive (but not over-attentive) service. Frankly we can't remember when we last enjoyed a meal so much.
That view extended to our Full English breakfast which was smartly served by the young chef himself - the Bistro gets its meat from the high quality butchers next door. Nothing tasteless or mass produced 'supermarket' fare but brilliant sausages, bacon, black pudding, etc all smartly presented on the plate and no grease in sight - simply couldn't fault it. As with everything else about Bistro Prego it was genuine friendly caring service with a smile and a willingness to please.
If you like large glossy hotel 'ambience' then don't stay here - Bistro Prego is small, cosy & friendly. I don't think they could do superficial and aloof ! We'll be back - that's for sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the pedestrianised centre of the old part of Monmouth town, quiet and free of a lot of traffic noise. We are an ideal place to stay, with 8 en suite bedrooms and a 2 AA rosette awarded bistro offering informal dining below. Ample public parking is available right outside the back door. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Evoline ltd so you can book your #7 Church Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bistro Prego Hotel Monmouth
- #7 Church Street Monmouth, Monmouthshire