“Very Good (& Gluten Free Aware & Helpful)”
Review of #7 Church Street

and 1 more site!
#7 Church Street
Ranked #8 of 21 Monmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My son and I stayed in a Twin Room at Bistro Prego in October 2013. The room was clean and tidy, and had all facilities required.

The evening dinner was very tasty (we both had lamb), maybe a tad expensive but good quality food to be fair.

The breakfast was very nice and they even had some Gluten Free cereal for my son which helped a lot (they were helpful and accommodating with Gluten Free choices for our evening meal also).

All in all, very good.

My only negative comment would be that if you are in a room that oversees the large extractor (from the Kitchen I think), it goes on quite late and is very loud. Probably okay if you closed your window but we wanted ours open.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We spent three nights here and had no complaints. The rooms are clean and cozy and the staff were quite friendly. Breakfasts were great and the service was very prompt. It's in a nice location, close walking distance to lots of shops and pubs. Overall a good experience.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Walking Offa's Dyke I had looked forward to Monmouth and the final day of my trail ahead. I wanted to relax a little for what was going to be potentially 21 miles to the finish line and had carefully chosen the Prego. I liked the idea of staying in a room above a styly Italian restaurant. It turned out to be everything I wanted. Nicely greeted on arrival I was shown to a reasonably large, well appointed room; fabulous shower and I also had a relaxing bath. I eat in the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the meal and ambiance plus the 'craic' with a jolly fellow countryman who had lived in the area for 30 years. All in all it works well, especially as the staff are pleasant and efficient, being friendly and cooperative to needs of all the guests.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Our stay at Bistro Prego was a really lovely experience. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the full size bath was a little bit of luxury after two and a half weeks of travelling. There has been mention that the rooms are small, but considering the age of the buildings, I didn't have a problem at all, in fact it was quite large for an older establishment. The hotel is positioned in the middle of a pedestrian mall, but there was adequate parking at the rear of the building. We woke to church bells pealing on a Sunday morning, and then had a generous and beautifully cooked breakfast. We ate at the restaurant in the evening, and have to say, the mussels were out of this world. Would highly recommend Bistro Prego

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a few years ago and had a reasonable stay but felt that the room we had was a little small. In terms of food we were invited to join some friends and ate here again at the end of August. We would have preferred to eat elsewhere as we did not have a great recollection of warmth from the time we stayed here. Although the meal was nice we felt it was a little overpriced. Two of the meals we ordered we asked for them to be cooked crisp on the outside and medium rare on the inside. When they arrived they were not as ordered. We were with friends and for once decided not to make a fuss as the meals were edible and it was not a big issue. We told the waitress at the end of the meal about our disappointment that our request had been ignored and she spoke to the chef who said we should have sent them back straight away. A fair comment, but my point is why ask for our cooking requests and then not carry them out in the first place? There is a bit of a take it or leave it attitude here somewhere, which needs to change as we experienced this when we stayed here before.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The hotel is near the museum and the church. The street where the hotel is decorated with colourful flags. Nationwide is just opposite the hotel There are a number of restaurants close by.

We parked our car in the Glendower Street car park behind the hotel. Direction to the car park: drive from Priory Street, turn right at The Kings Head, before Punch House. Follow the one way system to the car park. Parking charges from 9 -5, Monday to Saturday: 80p for 2hours, £1.30 for three hours, etc. We paid 80p when we arrived after 3.00 p.m. and another 80p the next morning.

The hotel is fronted by the restaurant but we were given a separate key for the back door. Our room, Room 6, is directly above the restaurant. There are four rooms on this wing. The stairs are narrow and windy. Guests with mobility problems should request for rooms in the lower floor.

The en-suite room is clean although small for three. The flow of the shower could be interrupted if other guests use their bathroom facilities at the same time. The mattress is quite soft. My side of the bed was quite worn. I could feel the spring when I tried to sleep. It was difficult to get comfortable and I had to sleep with my head at the foot end of the bed to get to sleep. It can be quite noisy in the night with pub goers.

It was a pleasant surprise to find tea and coffee making facilities in the room. There were some packets of hot chocolate as well. This was not mentioned in hotel.com web site.

Breakfast is served from 8.30 – 9.30 between Monday and Friday and 9.00 – 10.00 on Saturdays and Sundays. The breakfast is to be commended. There was fruit juice, coffee and tea. Apart from the cereal, there is a choice of porridge as well. The porridge was nicely prepared. The salmon and scrambled eggs was delicious. Both my husband and son enjoyed their traditional English breakfasts too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I am sure the food at Prego is lovely. I'd know for sure if we hadn't been rudely turned away. We asked for a table for 12 (okay, so quite a tall order when we walked in off the street) and the lady behind the counter gave us attitude. I'm only posting here because I've noticed others saying similar things about the service and I think it's useful to give this feedback as there really is no need to be so sniffy. Small, independent restaurants live and die by their service.

• Stayed: September 2013