“"Prego", "You are Welcome" in Italian.... And we certainly were :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of #7 Church Street

#7 Church Street
Ranked #8 of 23 Monmouth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“"Prego", "You are Welcome" in Italian.... And we certainly were :)”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I live in London and was in Monmouth for the night so decided to have dinner here with my boyfriend as I figured we deserved a treat after a day of moving heavy furniture in the dismal rain.
I had stayed a few nights at Prego previous to this as my house in Monmouth was rented out at the time and remembered the breakfast had been particularly good so thought dinner would be too.
Well, I certainly wasn't disappointed. Not an extensive menu but certainly something fit for everyone. And more importantly, everything cooked beautifully, with obvious care.
The delicious breadsticks were a lovely touch with some amazing olive oil to dip away to your hearts content. My boyfriend and I are very into sharing our choices of food so we had a taste of each others meals and we both agreed that everything was superb with a great and inventive use of flavours at every turn.
My steak was cooked to perfection as were the scallops and the suggested bottle of wine went down a treat. Hats off to the manager as she was the cherry on the delicious cake.
I will 100% be returning on my next trip up.
Thankyou

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Newgale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

My scallops were coked to perfection and my wife's mushrooms had been picked the day before - the quality of the food warrants the slight extra price charged - a fantastic experience- please go even for lunch as the quality is consistent throughout

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire, England
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My son and I stayed in a Twin Room at Bistro Prego in October 2013. The room was clean and tidy, and had all facilities required.

The evening dinner was very tasty (we both had lamb), maybe a tad expensive but good quality food to be fair.

The breakfast was very nice and they even had some Gluten Free cereal for my son which helped a lot (they were helpful and accommodating with Gluten Free choices for our evening meal also).

All in all, very good.

My only negative comment would be that if you are in a room that oversees the large extractor (from the Kitchen I think), it goes on quite late and is very loud. Probably okay if you closed your window but we wanted ours open.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights here and had no complaints. The rooms are clean and cozy and the staff were quite friendly. Breakfasts were great and the service was very prompt. It's in a nice location, close walking distance to lots of shops and pubs. Overall a good experience.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Co Down
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Walking Offa's Dyke I had looked forward to Monmouth and the final day of my trail ahead. I wanted to relax a little for what was going to be potentially 21 miles to the finish line and had carefully chosen the Prego. I liked the idea of staying in a room above a styly Italian restaurant. It turned out to be everything I wanted. Nicely greeted on arrival I was shown to a reasonably large, well appointed room; fabulous shower and I also had a relaxing bath. I eat in the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the meal and ambiance plus the 'craic' with a jolly fellow countryman who had lived in the area for 30 years. All in all it works well, especially as the staff are pleasant and efficient, being friendly and cooperative to needs of all the guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Our stay at Bistro Prego was a really lovely experience. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the full size bath was a little bit of luxury after two and a half weeks of travelling. There has been mention that the rooms are small, but considering the age of the buildings, I didn't have a problem at all, in fact it was quite large for an older establishment. The hotel is positioned in the middle of a pedestrian mall, but there was adequate parking at the rear of the building. We woke to church bells pealing on a Sunday morning, and then had a generous and beautifully cooked breakfast. We ate at the restaurant in the evening, and have to say, the mussels were out of this world. Would highly recommend Bistro Prego

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a few years ago and had a reasonable stay but felt that the room we had was a little small. In terms of food we were invited to join some friends and ate here again at the end of August. We would have preferred to eat elsewhere as we did not have a great recollection of warmth from the time we stayed here. Although the meal was nice we felt it was a little overpriced. Two of the meals we ordered we asked for them to be cooked crisp on the outside and medium rare on the inside. When they arrived they were not as ordered. We were with friends and for once decided not to make a fuss as the meals were edible and it was not a big issue. We told the waitress at the end of the meal about our disappointment that our request had been ignored and she spoke to the chef who said we should have sent them back straight away. A fair comment, but my point is why ask for our cooking requests and then not carry them out in the first place? There is a bit of a take it or leave it attitude here somewhere, which needs to change as we experienced this when we stayed here before.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monmouth
Riverside Hotel
#5 of 23 in Monmouth
Queen's Head Monmouth
Queen's Head Monmouth
#10 of 23 in Monmouth

Been to #7 Church Street? Share your experiences!