“Grazie”

Price range: US$34 - US$54
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Welsh
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Amble amongst the eclectic independent shops of Monmouth's Church Street and you will stumble across Bistro Prego. This atmospheric restaurant has been awarded its second AA Rosette in as many years, establishing a reputation as a destination for food-savvy visitors and indigenous foodies alike. Prego is fortunately situated to offer diverse regional produce, wild foods and allotment-harvests. For Steve Robbins, head chef and Proprietor, local and seasonal is central to the Mediterranean cuisine which inspires him. The menu is varied and aromatic: as soon as the doors open on spring days and summer evenings, tempting smells drift onto the pretty, cobbled street, infusing this quiet corner of Wales with Mediterranean savour. The frequently- changing menu, includes house favourites such as Tagliolini with prawns, cherry tomatoes and garlic, slow-cooked pork belly, and local game. Reputed for the delicious puddings and Welsh cheese-board, recent additions will also appeal to those wishing to enjoy eating out without compromising either their waist-line or enjoyment. Prego also offers bed and breakfast. This evolving restaurant is one to note whether you are looking for a special lunch, pre-theatre meal, coffee and biscotti whilst watching the world drift by, or a relaxing over-night stay.
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I have eaten in several restaurants in Monmouth and the surrounding area and can say with confidence that this one is by far my favourite. The staff were brilliant, from the friendly waitresses to the hard working lad washing the pots. The chef even popped out to see how we were enjoying our food (which was delicious) and this, combined with great service and pleasant environment lends itself to a great meal out. Highly recommended!

1  Thank ElJamo

Reviewed 15 January 2013

Our B+B owner recommended Prego as the best in town and he obviously knows his food! We found the service slick and the food excellent. Despite it being the quiet pause in Twixmas, there were enough people in to make the atmosphere entertaining. We asked advice of the waitress on puds, and she suggested we share. But I'm not a lover of stodgy chocolate things, so my husband had a portion to himself, which was a mistake as it was too big and gloopy. My fruitier choice was just fine, though. We stayed in Monmouth for 3 nights, and there's no doubt this was indeed the best place for a meal.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

My brother and I had a delicious meal in Pregos at the weekend at th first time of trying. We were made to feel very welcome from the word go. The menu was delightful with a good selection of fish, meat and pasta. However the highlight of the evening was the freshly baked bread...simply delicious!

Although the restaurant was quiet, I have no doubt the staff would have been looking after our every need no matter how busy...very helpful.

I highly recommend Pregos. Good food, good value and good service.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Have been several times before and always found the  atmosphere chilly and the service poor but a friend likes it.  This time, it was a large group booking and the acoustics made it impossible to converse. The 3 course meal which we had to select in advance was really poor - excellent soup but all downhill from there.  The main was a pheasants leg in a transparent stock  (no-one could call it a casserole) on a pile of mash that looked like it had been thrown at the plate from the other side of the kitchen.  When I asked if there were vegetables coming I got a blunt "No".  My semi freddo was a cloying slab of congealing mousse - not even chilled.

2 days later I was offered the same set menu (again we were asked to choose in advance although this time it was only 9 of us). On arrival I discovered it was possible to choose from the al a carte but when I asked to change from the set meal I was refused - despite there being only a handful of diners in. The service and the food were better than the first meal but even so I would recommend the Inn at Penallt instead - its worth the 10 minute drive.

5  Thank shelovestoeat
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Hadn't been here for a very long time and was well worth the wait. The menu, food and service was great. Staff very helpful with great recommendations and knowledge of the menu.