“Brilliant food!”

Price range: US$33 - US$53
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Amble amongst the eclectic independent shops of Monmouth's Church Street and you will stumble across Bistro Prego. This atmospheric restaurant has been awarded its second AA Rosette in as many years, establishing a reputation as a destination for food-savvy visitors and indigenous foodies alike. Prego is fortunately situated to offer diverse regional produce, wild foods and allotment-harvests. For Steve Robbins, head chef and Proprietor, local and seasonal is central to the Mediterranean cuisine which inspires him. The menu is varied and aromatic: as soon as the doors open on spring days and summer evenings, tempting smells drift onto the pretty, cobbled street, infusing this quiet corner of Wales with Mediterranean savour. The frequently- changing menu, includes house favourites such as Tagliolini with prawns, cherry tomatoes and garlic, slow-cooked pork belly, and local game. Reputed for the delicious puddings and Welsh cheese-board, recent additions will also appeal to those wishing to enjoy eating out without compromising either their waist-line or enjoyment. Prego also offers bed and breakfast. This evolving restaurant is one to note whether you are looking for a special lunch, pre-theatre meal, coffee and biscotti whilst watching the world drift by, or a relaxing over-night stay.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I came here on Friday lunchtime for a birthday meal. The service and food was fantastic. By far the best restaurant in Monmouth! A must visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

On a hot day, Prego's cool and shade was a relief ; but the welcome was as warm as ever.
Delicious scallops and black pudding, followed by Duck confit and affegato as sweet.
On our last visit, head Chef not only divulged the recipe for our favourite sweet, but even took the trouble to write it out !
What a refreshing change from the prima donna chefs around nowadays ! (No names!)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was our 1st visit to Pregos and we were not disappointed. My wife & I booked our table for 930 pm to coincide with the end of the film in the Savoy (Mrs. Browns Boys- Da Movie; - HILARIOUS!!).
We were warmly welcomed by the friendly Maitre De who introduced us to our waitress to take us to our table. We were promptly presented with the interesting menu and offered wine etc.
The place was simply buzzibg and very busy, creating a great atmosphere, though we wondered if we might have to expect a long wait for our food, but our fears were unfounded; the smart, efficient waitresses were "right on the money" with their service; We were told that our dishes (Belly Pork and Cassoulet) would take 15 - 20 mins to prepare, and this was accurate to within a minute. Meanwhile we were able to enjoy the ambience and the fresh bread and the 15 mins flew past.
Upon arrival of our main courses we were impresed with the presentation and portion sizes - simple, contemporary and ample respectively. Thoroughly tasty and enjoyable (Chips maybe slightly over-seasoned).

Then on to desserts: A good selection offered on the menu left us choosing Blueberry Creme Brulee & Strawberry Pavlova, both of which were simly D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S-!!!!

Thank you Pregos; This was a great experience and we'll certainly be back and recommend you to our friends.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Visited on Saturday with my partner and parents the food was beautiful and much recommended. More waiting staff would had been one thing I'd comment other than that it was brilliant

1  Thank Arron J
Reviewed 6 July 2014

On a weekend break in Monmouth and decided to book our Saturday evening meal after reading the TA reviews.

I am not sure that I can add much as it has all been said before. The menu was interesting - a rare place indeed to find stuffed courgette flowers on the menu. This is one of our favourite dishes when visiting Greece, so a lovely surprise and the chef did them beautifully. They were absolutely divine, crispy batter, stuffed with ricotta and spinance. The next course, cooked to perfecton duck with cherries and in an orange sauce with roast potatoes. Finally desert - creme brulee - simply perfect. I can see why this place holds the number one spot.

Great customer service with delightful, friendly waitresses and the lady in charge who took the time to talk to us on a couple of occasions. If I am ever back in Monmouth I will certainly revisit, unlike our Friday evening venue where I most definitely would not return to.