“Authentic Hotel”
Review of Pen Y Gwryd Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nant Gwynant
Pen Y Gwryd Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nant Gwynant
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Our family of five stayed here in July. Was pleasantly surprised about how authentic and charming the hotel was. Comfortable, clean rooms with lovely views. Limitless hot water and big traditional meals - roast beef, crumble etc. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Check you're not put in the Garden Room - the annexe, although large it doesn't have the sam...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank curry3

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We hiked up and over Snowdon on a glorious day (just telling you about this entire day of full sun on Snowdon has jinxed my outings for the rest of the year) to the Pen-y-Pas, and then followed the track to the Pen-y-Gwyrd. As mountaineers we knew the storied history, and it was fascinating to wander the public rooms to see the mountaineering memorabilia. Not just the hanging hobnailed boots, or the left-over Himalaya gear, the Mallory/Hillary stuff. Also the little touches, like the autographs of climbers famous and local-hero variety on the ceiling in the bar. Or the Ed Webster photos from the 25th reunion of the team that forged a new route on the Kangshung Face of Everest in 1988. Or the photos of Welsh peaks in winter. Very evocative.

OK, that's the ambience. As a hotel, the Pen-y-Gwyrd is on the quaint side, perhaps drifting toward hardship duty. Our room was a bit small, had twin beds, and no proper shower. The entire place feels a bit crowded and slightly uncomfortable at times. However, the staff could not have been more helpful, and were a blur of activity accomplishing the tasks needed to keep the place running. We wanted beer; the bar has cask-conditioned ales on tap. We stayed to dinner; the food was stunning. Breakfast the next morning was equally good, and the sandwiches supplied as packed lunch for a day on the hills were wonderful, especially surrounded by Welsh countryside as we ate them.

Certainly not a modern hotel experience (did I mention the complete lack of mobile phone coverage or wi-fi in the hotel? Arguably not a bad thing, but you should know), but as a refuge in the midst of wild Snowdonia a quite good one. I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you're here for romance you'll want to avoid room 18 - 2 twin beds instead of a double or...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dennis R
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We loved the mountaineering camaraderie we found at this charming old hotel and pub. Our room with en suite was basic, but clean and comfortable. The service was excellent and the food was generous and tasty. Enjoyed the spirited conversation in the residents' bar and lounge, 1953 Everest artifacts added to the ambience. Hope to return!
PS Happy to say we also summited Snowdon (in the pouring rain and fog)!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jean M
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Popped in here for a spot of lunch and a pint. What a delight that this place doesn't seem to change. Lovely staff, nice beer, tasty, simple food and stunning surroundings. What more could you want from a pub?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Estelle R
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We arrived early in the morning (the hotel was closed, as we had not advised them of our early arrival and so we did not have the code for the back door). The staff kindly woke us up and once in our room, brought us a nice cup of Tea to warm up.

The Stay was a friends reunion, 36 of us all told ! The hotel Staff were great, helping as much as they could with kids, food, special requirements and all sorts of things.

There was a projector (for business Meetings) int he play/game Rooms, which we hooked up to a laptop and had the kids watch DVD's while we all had a great dinner, provided by the Hotel.

The food portions were great - Massive amounts int eh evening and just the right quantity in the morning. The quality of the food was very good, I did not rate the sandwiches for the climb up Snowdon, but my wife loved them.

All in all it was a great weekend, and the staff and service of the hotel along with the ambiance all went to ensure we regretfully had to leave....

Well recommended

Room Tip: Get a Room with a en-suite
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank NRDUK
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Was expecting a lot from this famous 'climber's hotel' but unfortunately as others have noted - they appear to be resting on their laurels from their history and great location next to Snowdon.

The staff are friendly but...for £43 per person/per night my room was cold and dusty with cobwebbs and 4 spiders. The furnishings were worn and the carpets threadbare in some places. Mono-grammed linen is cute...but not enough when your pillowcase has a tear in the middle. I knew not to expect an en-suite or other luxuries but was shocked there was not even a kettle in the room! Tea etc can be ordered downstairs and staff bring it up to you; but they seem confused as to whether it is free or not.

The breakfast: Unfortunately not self-service. Being told where to sit and to choose between juice OR cereal (huh?), only being allowed brown bread and marmalade on the toast (no jam?) made me feel like I was at a boarding school. They do a cooked breakfast and the eggs were nice but the kippers and haddock were old. Felt the 8:30-9:30am sitting was too early on a weekend - would expect til 10 or 11am on a sunday. Especially as I was kept up til 1-2am on saturday night from people talking in the lounge underneath me, then awoken at 7:40am from staff hoovering...not quite the peaceful 'haven from modernity' they make it out to be.

Other meals: The salmon for lunch was also old...although their homemade lemonade was nice... but the scone with the cream tea was also stale. Dinner was too big and at a minimum of £25 was too expensive for every day (shame as the local 'black beef' was really nice). Maybe for a big man but for a woman the portions are too much, I could have done with half the amount for half the price There is however free coffee and mints afterwards for everyone, which is kind.

What else...they have an impressive natural swimming-pool and sauna...There IS an ironing board and iron...but it has to be shared with all 20-odd other guests. Some rooms are en-suite or there are shared bathrooms inc 2 with old-fashioned baths which are lovely (so long as you don't mind people who can't read the 'engaged' sign rattling the door)...but the toilets are separate and there is no sink for hand-washing (so I can only imagine what germs have been spread about). The residents' lounge is away from the bar, has comfy sofas and books; they also have a 'games room' with a computer...Wifi is available for £2 extra.

The air: fresh mountain air outside but a musty smell inside, despite the fresh flowers. Yes I know it's antique furniture but old buildings absorb moisture more and still need a fire on cool, wet days, even for a few hours in order to air properly - but unfortunately they remained unlit. The bedrooms only have heating (radiators) for a few hours in the morning so on cool, wet days I found them uncomfortable to be in.

I changed rooms during my stay and although it was bigger it was also dusty plus I suspect the bed had accidently not been changed since the previous occupant - just made up but with the same sheets...and no fresh towel. Another change - to their outside 'garden room' which was an additional £32 a night. Although large with a great view and its own key (you don't get a key for the rooms in the main house) plus a 4-poster bed and an en-suite and being away from the road, it was spoiled by it still being noisy during the day because of the building work going on overhead.

It was also not heated and had the same situation with the bed and no fresh towel. The en-suite window did not open so the grouting around the bath tiles has not had a chance to dry properly and is rotting I think, it smelt so bad I had to keep the door closed with the extraction fan on for several hours to try and lessen it ...but it was still bad the next morning. I wanted to ask for a discount because of that but when I asked twice for a partial discount after sleeping in and 'missing breakfast' and being denied anything to eat at all (even though it was still only 9:30am!) and the receptionist said no whilst laughing, I knew there was no point bringing the room up...I checked out there and then, leaving a day earlier than planned.

Room Tip: Avoid no. 6 as it is right above the noisy resident's lounge, ask for ones away from the main ro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank R J W
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A long awaited ambition to stay here but a little disappointing! Comfy bed with nice view but didn't like not having en-suite. The shower was amazing though a vintage Victorian antique affair a short hike down the corridor. I ordered an evening meal which at £25 I thought was overpriced given the size of the portions. The breakfast was small and nowhere near the standard I would expect if I was off walking. I had to stop on the way home to get a breakfast to fill me up. Great location but over-rated, and overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Bryn Eglwys Country House Hotel

Been to Pen Y Gwryd Hotel? Share your experiences!