“I fell in love with Wales”

George III Hotel Restaurant
Price range: US$13 - US$28
Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The George III Hotel is an historic Inn set on the banks of the magnificent Mawddach Estuary. Originally built in 1650 the hotel now offers comfortable rooms and home cooked food to locals and guests alike who all come to enjoy great home cooked classics in a relaxed atmosphere with stunning views. All of our food is cooked on site and so during busy times there can be a delay. We use a wide range of local produce from award winning local suppliers to provide tasty, comforting classic dishes. We are always happy to help so if you have any questions or would like to make a booking please do not hesitate to contact us.
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Yes I did l retired in 2001 after 35years with ITV as a sound director then world famous senior Lighting Cameraman then the Only staff Lighting Director and Director and producer, l retired as light Cameraman on the last of the Crossroads!! Oh dear so l retired to Barmouth in North Wales, with my wife then and our five wonderful now Seven 7-30yr old children, we spent many great times wineing ( as children can do hehe!) and dining and every birthday and that's spending big money all 9of us Jim and hus wife were so nice too and always loved and looked after us all so well sorry to see them go but wish them all the best in their new adventure in Bala which is a big preservation job! IM going to see how he's getting on he did offer the George to me for £300,000 in 2004 l wanted it but l thought where would all my children go l wouldn't of had any rooms to let Grommit! anyway the view us running bring you camera and binoculars cos the wildlife and huge Welsh black Beef graising over the other side?! Luckily few! Owned by my good friend and farmer Gethin is a sight to see and enjoy so happy days folks! Astelaveaster boys and girls see you soon I've got to get some work l just love telling about my experiences buy!

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Been past many times as we crossed over the estuary but never been in until last Friday, when an aborted attempt to find somewhere to eat in Barmouth (heaving with holidaymakers and half-termers), caused us to retrace our steps (having been to view what I hope is my new home near-by) and so glad we did. Dogs welcome in the bar area, so my hound was happy and the food was great. My 88 year old dad looked on in envy when my steak and ale pie arrived as he's not keen on puff pastry, which is usual in pub restaurants, because the short-crust pastry topping was yummy as was the plenty of meat filling. Keeping everything crossed my cottage sells quickly, so this delightful pub, with friendly and helpful staff becomes my "local". Next time I must remember to request new potatoes with the pie instead of chips, if that's doable?

penmaenpool, Manager at George III Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very happy to hear you, your dad and your hound enjoyed your meal with us. We are always happy to accommodate requests if we can so we look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

I’ve already reviewed our meal in the hotel section as I’ve only just noticed this part.
Suffice to say that we enjoyed a very good lunch last Friday and the staff coped extremely well during an exceptionally busy time.

penmaenpool, Manager at George III Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Once again, thank you very much for your kind review, it means alot. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

The menu prices suggest that the food will be memorable but wasn't as good as a quickly knocked-up snack at home. Fresh tomato = freshly opened tin of tomatoes, fresh basil = microscopic specs of what might have been basil and a lot of chopped spring onion! Very bizarre and no explanation and/or apology offered.
Best passed by.

We are sorry to hear you were a little dissapointed with your meals. Our food is normally very popular with a very large and loyal returning customer base. Our prices are merely a reflection of the high overheads of a tied business such as ours but we believe we still offer value for money. We hope you will return to try another dish before writing us off completely.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

We did not stay here, rather availed ourselves of the restaurant; which was a mistake. Positives first, this is set in a beautiful location, which ironically maybe its downfall, because the manager does not have to try. I think service with grimace is a good description, a smile goes a long way, here you have to go a long way to get one. the food was not very well prepared and the three of us had food served quite a few minutes apart, such that one had almost finished before the last was served.

The worst part came later with severe stomach pains and being attached to the lavatory for several hours.

My advice is maybe have drink here as it is a nice location, you can indulge in a game of see if anyone can make the manager smile whilst waiting; but do not eat here if you value your health..

George-III-Hotel, Manager at George III Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

We are sorry to hear you were so disappointed with your visit. We take accusations such as yours very seriously. The causes of food poisoning can be very hard to track down as the time taken for symptoms to present themselves can vary widely, but it usually takes 1-2 days. Reaction times measured in a few hours are more often down to a food intolerance than food poisoning.

The hotel has a 4/5 food hygiene rating, with the management of food safety found to be very good and hygienic food handling found to be good. All the chefs have food hygiene qualifications, all products are held at the relevant temperatures in cold storage and all meals are temperature checked before leaving the kitchen. Many other people ate that day including staff, none of whom have reported having any symptoms. It may well be that the bacteria responsible for your illness could have been picked up from anywhere you ate during the 48 hours or more before your symptoms presented themselves.

In this situation we would normally ask you to contact the hotel as soon as possible to enable us to discuss this further, so we could look into the individual dishes you were served to be certain that the issues mentioned did not come from our hotel. However, we have since changed hands and the menu, ingredients and chefs are all completely different. We hope given this information you would consider returning in the future to try our new offer.

We hope you are feeling better.